i30 Owners Club

! <--- I got more than I bargained for (or paid for?))

Guest · 17 · 3319

angoraki
I am going to ramble a bit - and don't care if I get bollock** by the mods!.  There I was on the 26th of November taking delivery of my 1.6CRDi estate.  Great motor - took delivery the same day we moved so I had a good run in.  Had the car now just about 3 weeks  - don't believe the trip mpg - but only done 1000 miles as of 6pm today, so having read the forums am keeping track.  
Anyway - this morning picked up No.1 daughter and No.1 granddaughter for a trip to see the mater in Luton (a place you need a sense of humour to visit) and stopped for a quick espresso.  When I returned to the car and put the mobile back in that little tray by the gearstick - I noticed that the gearknob had 6 positions!
Now.......... I have trawled the brochures and the Internet, and apparently I bought a car with 5 forward gears - but mine has 6! ......... And yes - after going through the 5 I knew I had, I tried the 6th. and it didn't  end up in reverse!
So! - maybe a really really silly question - how come I have a 6 speed motor! - and as this is not the place, I won't ask Dazz what happens when a Kiwi emigrates to Oz.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
has it actualy got a 6th gear,or only on the gear knob?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a gr8 ramble angoraki (I thought I was the least observant person in the world - but you beat me  :eek: :eek:)

P.S. I won't answer your other query for fear of offending the couple of Kiwi mmbers we have  :wink:

P.P.S. Can you pm me your email address Shambles sent me a brill joke I think you would enjoy... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
has it actualy got a 6th gear,or only on the gear knob?
  after a second read i noticed its a true 6 speed box :-[ :lol:  [its a bit early :P]

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Changed the thread title from "superblind n00b" to "novice" :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Congratulations, you will have the new U2 engine with the associated 6 speed box. there are a couple of threads about it in the "news" sections.

You probably have a DPF too  :rolleyes:

Its a nice motor, very quiet, and they seem to have fixed the 1st/2nd gear stiff selector issues in the new gearbox too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Congratulations, you will have the new U2 engine with the associated 6 speed box. there are a couple of threads about it in the "news" sections.

You probably have a DPF too  :rolleyes:

Its a nice motor, very quiet, and they seem to have fixed the 1st/2nd gear stiff selector issues in the new gearbox too.

I for one am Jealous  :P :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

angoraki
Thanks for reply guys, and Lorian thanks for info on U2 engine.  Thanks also Shambles for modifying the title - lost connection just as I was pasting and didn't know if I had posted or not.  :wink:
I now need to check my reg document as it was £120 for the year, but according to the specs, it should fall in the lower 101-120 emissions which should be £35, which makes me think that it wasn't only me not being observant, but the dealer obviously didn't notice!
Will add an update when I know more.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

You be unlucky with the tax, as it is a CW, becuase models earlier in the year were 124g/Km, and find it's still in the £120 band even though it's actually a £35 band car. It all depend when they got one re-tested, compared to when your car was built.

You can check it's actual tax band here:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Click "vehicle enquiry" on the left, put in you Reg and "Hyundai" and it should tell you the tax rate payable. If it says £120 I don't think there is any way to get it changed.

I got more than I paid for too  :eek:  :lol:

angoraki
Had been on to check that Lorien - just hoping they'll do a retest

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For your car, CRDI, it is showing emmisions as 124 g/km band D = £120

Extract from Hy Uk web site:

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/i30estate/prices/

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/a/pdf/brochures/priceGuide.pdf
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

angoraki
That is for the 5 speed Eye30 - the 6 speed is 119 so should come in the lower band, but as Lorian says it probably won't change as they haven't tested the new model.

Lorian - what did you get? and which model do you have.  Congratulations by the way - had seen some of your posts about the long wait you had - only 12 miles - after that long wait!  I drove 230 for my first test drive.  Mind you - we also moved house that day from W. Sussex to Cheshire, so was a nice intro to the new car

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
That is for the 5 speed Eye30 - the 6 speed is 119 so should come in the lower band, but as Lorian says it probably won't change as the haven't tested the new model.

Ahhh ......... I see that the hatch is showing at 119 so yes I guess they haven't updated the info.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/i30/prices/
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline andys101

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent, England.
Hi all,

The estate is a heavier vehicle and is in the higher tax band even with the 6 speed box.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The 2010 model is reported to be band C, but maybe that is with ISG.

angoraki
I think you may be right Lorian.  Spotted the following:

Hyundai is also offering Intelligent Stop and Go (ISG) as a special order option for the range. Hyundai says adding the technology to the 1.6 CDRi Classic drops CO2 from 115g/km to 110g/km in the hatchback, whilst the same estate version with ISG lowers CO2 from 124g/km to 119g/km, saving drivers £85 per year in road tax.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal