i30 Owners Club

Throttle stopped working

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
The throttle on my i30 diesel auto stopped working at a busy intersection on Leach Highway yesterday (Friday). Managed to creep the car to the edge of the road. A hairy experience in heavy traffic and rain.

Called the RAC who inspected and called a tow truck. Vehicle taken to Hyundai Myree. They reported all OK mid Saturday morning. Said they had found a "lose wire" bid me fare well with "I hope it keeps going".

Me too ...

Given two returns for cruise not working now this I am becoming suspicions of wiring in general. Anybody else with similar problems??

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No problems here with wiring, with 7300 miles on her clock.

To be honest the general wiring build looks superb, with everything tightly bound and kept as close to the body as possible. Being fly-by-wire, the throttle is at the mercy of properly fastened con-blocks, so I hope they've tracked down and permanently fixed yours Jarrah
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
So do I. Thinking I might have got that dreaded first car on Monday morning or last car on Friday afternoon off the assembly line model.

This break down occurred within easy range of help but if a similar problem develops 400km from any where I am going to need a wiring/workshop manual. Does anybody know if there is such an animal?

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
so it was you that cause traffic jammed in leach hwy... :P, i have no problem with my auto, and my cruise control working perfectly, btw may i know which dealer did u bought ur car from?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Lets hope you were just unlucky Jarrah, Never heard of anything like it.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "JarrahBark"
... if a similar problem develops 400km from any where I am going to need a wiring/workshop manual. Does anybody know if there is such an animal?

I think this question was asked a week or so ago and nobdy seems to have one yet - Would be nice to have one, wouldn't it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Had a good search on google (can't seem to find a workshop manual for the i30 available yet)

Shambles seems to be good at finding things like that..... wonder if he can?  8-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
btw may i know which dealer did u bought ur car from?

Brought the vehicle from Mandurah. Good sales service but the sales manager has now gone to the dealer a suburb closer to Perth. Am getting far better quotes on service charges.

I have been asked by Myree who fixed the problem to report the issue to Mandurah service. I shall do this next week and pursue them for more info on how to handle break downs of this sort. It is worth noting that even though the RAC correctly diagnosed the problem he did not know how to go about fixing.

You would have to assume that an auto repair business, even in major rural centres would not fare better unless they are a Hyundai accredited operation. Bit of a worry this ....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "JarrahBark"

Said they had found a "lose wire" bid me fare well with "I hope it keeps going".

Me too ...

Hi J-B,

Would have been nice if they left off the "I hope it keeps going"

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.

Do you think when they fitted or fixed the Cruise control they might not have tightened or replaced "the wire" properly?

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
they might not have tightened or replaced "the wire" properly?

They certainly did not do so first time round Dazz it went back a second time. A "dry joint" was blamed which in technical slang means a solder joint to which insufficient heat was applied to properly melt the solder.

It must be remembered though that the cruise was installed by a third party contractor at point of sale. I understand cruise is now standard?

I have been around in the technical area far too long to reject the idea that the two incidents are related. It opens a can of "wires" that can lead to all sorts of problems when unqulified people start getting their fingers into complex wiring systems like this.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully, all will be o/k now but guess it will be a few months and a few thousand kilometres before you feel confident with it.

Good luck....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to hear that JB, no problem with my aftermarket CC 6,040k now. also i like fly by wire have had it in my Falcon Ute 206,000k no problem and the sonata 2.4 auto has it too no problem eather. but look at it this way i have seen conventional throttle cables. and those old steel rods break too. eather way bad news.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd be tempted to throttle the mechanic .. if it were me... 8-)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Jarrah, I reckon its got to do with the aftermarket cruise control.  Being drive-by-wire, the throttle is just a potentiometer, and the cruise would have to mimick the resistance of the pedal to modulate speed.  I´ve been harping on to Hyundai now for months about the cruise control - or lack of, and they finally told me last week that all SLX diesels will be coming with factory cruise, as per the petrol model, steering wheel mounted controls and all.

Cheers

Offline drew1981

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey guys we have seen a few of these throttle not working at work, you will only find it on the CRDI models only due to the fly by wire, the caus of the problems is the Throttle control sensor a batch it would seem where faulty not enough to warrant a recall you will find most dealers wont know what is going on the fault codes reported on the system mean nothing it took our boys a little while to figure it all out we striped a stock car and kept replacing parts on the customers car until it was fixed and that was the problem we have had 3 since and all have been fixed on the spot with no further issues.

if i can be of any more help on the matter please let me know

hope this helps

Offline DeathRattle

• 2nd Gear
Very interesting.
Is there any hints as to who may be affected ?
CRDi, but any particular build range or dates ?
Auto or manuals ?
Any numbers on the sensor to look for.
If I understand you right, it's the position sensor on the accelerator pedal inside the cabin ?

Thanks........

Offline drew1981

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
yep your right, and no not to sure its been such a small number i mean 3 that i know of not a major concern, in the big picture

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "drew1981"
yep your right, and no not to sure its been such a small number i mean 3 that i know of not a major concern, in the big picture

Is this just an auto box issue?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline drew1981

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
have seen it on auto and manual so i guess not

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal