i30 Owners Club

Today's temperatures -17°C

accim · 61 · 10794

ouri30
no,its going to be 38c tomorrow. :eek:

We've got a forcaste max of 43ºC in our part of SA tomorrow - bugger, there goes the game of golf I had planned.  I might be a golf fanatic, but I'm not that much of an idiot.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yesterday it was -17°C, today it's +1°C, tomorrow they are talking something about +10°C funny..

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
In northern Poland also today is about +1C, but it's rain, freezing rain :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

C'mon gyus, stop whining. White ground and -17°C is just another, usual winter day here in Finland. I would be very disappointed if my (yet to come) i30cw CRDi would not able to do temperatures down to -30°C. Below that, few hickups are forgiveable...

As they say   ...  You can never please a people.
here they will be saying it's too hot, then come winter same people will say, it's too cold. then it don't rain for a month. they want rain, then it rains they wish it would stop. LOL

it's great to expeience the opposit to what you are normally used too.

i was wondering when you have salt on the roads and you drive over it, is it wet? or can it be dry?
when i was in USA down in Florida one Christmas. i meet some Canadian's, there car was covered in what looked to me like white clay, i asked if they had been on a dirt road in the rain, they told me it was salt.
i suppose you would find things different here too.
cheers

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
i was wondering when you have salt on the roads and you drive over it, is it wet? or can it be dry?
when i was in USA down in Florida one Christmas. i meet some Canadian's, there car was covered in what looked to me like white clay, i asked if they had been on a dirt road in the rain, they told me it was salt.

It depends a lot of the road surface temperature. Road surface is wet when it is snowing and temperature stays well above -5°C. When it stops snowing/raining, the surface will dry eventually. If the temperature drops below -5°C right after salting and it keeps snowing, the road will be covered with mixture of snow, ice and water - a deadly combination even if you had studs on your winter tires. Therefore the snow is removed mechanically sub -5°C weather conditions.

And yes, if you've been driving on wet salted road, your car is soaked in salt and is covered with a white tint when it dries up. If it is not too cold, it is recommended to wash of at least rinse your car with water to get rid of the salt.

mvasseur
And yes, if you've been driving on wet salted road, your car is soaked in salt and is covered with a white tint when it dries up. If it is not too cold, it is recommended to wash of at least rinse your car with water to get rid of the salt.

Same here in Canada. I also purchased extra rustproofing for the car, otherwise within 8-10 years I'd be driving around like Fred Flintstone i.e. no floor left.

Michael

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
The first thing i did, when i got the car, was also to purchase extra rustproof for my car.
A must if you want to keep your car for many years here in the South of Sweden.
In the north, they don't have these problems, because they have real winter with snow always and temperatures between -10 C and -40 C.
Very few cars in the north have rustproblems, because they don't use salt on the roads...
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
In Poland is the same. I always  purchase extra rustproof for my car, but for my new I30 not jet, because dealer told me, that I30 has sufficient rust protection so extra isn't necessary and wash from time to time by high pressure especially of chassis in winter will be sufficient . I don't know, to opt for extra protection or only standard?

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

In Poland is the same. I always  purchase extra rustproof for my car, but for my new I30 not jet, because dealer told me, that I30 has sufficient rust protection so extra isn't necessary and wash from time to time by high pressure especially of chassis in winter will be sufficient . I don't know, to opt for extra protection or only standard?

Hi!
Go for the extra protection if you want to keep your car for many years.
It also increases the resale value of your car, when it's time to change your car.
And wash your car underneath very often in winter.
A cheap solution in the long run to avoid big problems.
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
ive seen 48°C :-[ on ours last summer this year isnt as hot so far.

cheers
Brandon

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It hit -16 on the West coast of Scotland last night.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

• First Lesson. Stick em with the pointy end.
hehe
Yesterday in Sofia was -12, Today is +2, and tomorrow will be +15.
That's very strange  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dani that is strange... good to see you on the site again  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it ended up being 42c,damn hot :-[
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

We've got a forcaste max of 43ºC in our part of SA tomorrow - bugger, there goes the game of golf I had planned.  I might be a golf fanatic, but I'm not that much of an idiot.
are the bushfires near you :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

If we could have around 1 hour of that temperature here right now, the UK population would probably save around £200M* off its heating bills :(

* note. the figure of £200M is entirely an arbitrary amount devised following the inbibing of quite a few shots of Glayva, Glenffidich and white wine, and should not be taken as an accurate amount deemed saveable by the UK public should 60 minutes worth of 48°C heat be made available at this time.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and you would be flooded from all that melted snow :eek: :P

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!

If we could have around 1 hour of that temperature here right now, the UK population would probably save around £200M* off its heating bills :(

* note. the figure of £200M is entirely an arbitrary amount devised following the inbibing of quite a few shots of Glayva, Glenffidich and white wine, and should not be taken as an accurate amount deemed saveable by the UK public should 60 minutes worth of 48°C heat be made available at this time.

Damn, The devil is always in the detail.. :P

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Hi!
Go for the extra protection if you want to keep your car for many years.
It also increases the resale value of your car, when it's time to change your car.
And wash your car underneath very often in winter.
A cheap solution in the long run to avoid big problems.

What's the extra protection? I mean..where do you buy it, how does it look like? Is it a real protection or is it just warranty...? We don't have such things here..the only thing you can do is put "mudflaps" and wash your car more often..but it gets salty every day after going somewhere..

Oh yes and today's weather? Raining..we even have floods.. :rolleyes: It was great few days ago even if it was -17°C  8) It was snowy, we had approx 20 cm's of snow it looked nice..but for the past two days it's been raining, the temps are around +10°C and there's no snow anymore..oh well..what can you do  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What's the extra protection? I mean..where do you buy it, how does it look like? Is it a real protection or is it just warranty...?

Hi accim there should be places over there that do it.. Have heard of a couple of types. One is like a fish oil type stuff that gets sprayed in all the cavities and the other is a more permanent anti-rust film which is sprayed in all the cavities and sets like tar (also sprayed all over the underside of the car...)

But never actually had it done so no doubt others could tell you more (or you could google it)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Hemmi, what's the temp "up there"?  :question: 8)

-1°C at the moment, I never see those extremely cold numbers, I got the warm Gulf stream from Mexico, so does UK :wink:
The coldest day I remember was last year with -12°C.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

Hyundai Rustprotection List from the Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection Company.
The 2 last digits tells how many years rust guarantee the car have from Hyundai and how good the rustprotection are in reality (Tested).
5=Very good
1=Very bad

The i30 rustprotection is good but can always be better.
Santa Fe 2004 rustprotection is crap.

Hyundai i30 2007 10 4
Hyundai Gertz 2002 6 3
Hyundai Santa Fé 2006 6 3
Hyundai Santa Fe 2004 6 2
Hyundai Tucson 2005 6 2
Hyundai Matrix 2001 6 2
Hyundai Sonata 2005 6 2
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
A mild -6C here on Tuesday before it all went wrong (see Petrol Problems section). Happy Christmas everyone  :)

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila

Got - 26.7ºC last night. My fellow citizens living in Lapland got - 36.3ºC, which is the record for this winter...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i was away for the new year long weekend. on my trip home to sydney i left from 400k west of sydney was 32c and sunny. i get to the blue mountains 100k west of sydney and its raining and 15c, i get home and it's 20c. weather has been unpredictable here. but we have had good rain & it was nice and green out west.
the i30 ran faltless, some of the roads i traveled on were extreamly poor condition, i had some fun with a BMW 125 coup on some twisty back roads right out west, you could see those cars are not made for those roads out there the i30 with the SLX 16" wheels handled the conditions a lot better.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
One thing I've noticed with my outside temp guage. It doesn't seem to be accurate.
With previous cars they've been consistent with those roadside clock/temp signs you see from time to time. Maybe a degree difference.
But the Hyundai is sometimes up to 5 degrees different on the same signs.
And on other days it will be the same.
So, it fluctuates.  :evil:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i think it's the possition of the sensor, if your parked in the sun for a while, goes up, then when you drive it goes down a bit.

Offline erinafare

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Reading the comments about the extremes in temperatures the i30 handles we have ourselves a super car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've found mine to be pretty accurate although it seems to remember the temp from when you last parked and can take a few minutes to adjust when you resume if the temp has gone up or down a few degrees...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal