i30 Owners Club

Old i30 gone to wholesaler

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
So I traded in my '08 i30 (for $1500...236,000km  :( ) for my new i30.  I stupidly should've kept the car for dad and sold his car (Toyota Camry).  Dealer just called to ask how the car is going yada yada yada and told me that the car has already gone to the wholesaler.  Can anyone shed more light as to exactly where it's gone and what they would do with the car?  I'm hoping by some chance I can buy it back for dad.  Or has the ship sailed?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would say it has either gone to the auctions or to a dealer who sells cheap older cars.

Cheapest i30 on carsales is $4,000 ($4,900 for diesel) so there would be a bit of coin there Dealer sells the car to someone for 2k the dealer then onsales it for 5k.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I would say it has either gone to the auctions or to a dealer who sells cheap older cars.

Cheapest i30 on carsales is $4,000 ($4,900 for diesel) so there would be a bit of coin there Dealer sells the car to someone for 2k the dealer then onsales it for 5k.

So best I keep checking Car Sales in the hope it pops up on there?  Still kicking myself...effed up big time.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Carsales and Gumtree I would think. Cars of that value tend to go to Gumtree because it is free to advertise.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Carsales and Gumtree I would think. Cars of that value tend to go to Gumtree because it is free to advertise.

Ta, I'll just have to keep looking *sigh*

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can you ask the stealer where they sold it to and try to get in early?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Can you ask the stealer where they sold it to and try to get in early?

I asked the salesman who I was dealing to see if he could find out and called me this morning, saying it's already gone to wholesaler (I picked new car up on Wednesday).  I guess now it's beyond their control?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Might be, if you get the name of the wholesaler you could make an offer to get it back before it goes further.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I'll ask him tonight as I have to drop the spare key for the old car off tonight.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Vanessa,

A lot of bigger dealerships have a wholesale yard with a different name just around the corner from their "head office" - In Tassie anyway.

They keep the tidy late model trade-ins in their main used car plot adjacent to the new car dealership and flog the older more tired cars in their lesser yard. They can get away with only the safety/roadworthy related stuff on these cars.

To be honest I would just put it down to experience. If you have to pay say $4,500 to get back a car they only paid you $1500, you are losing a lot more than you are gaining.  :Ouch:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I'll ask him tonight as I have to drop the spare key for the old car off tonight.

Pikapolonica, if it ends up being advertised online, a google search of it’s registration number could very well  lead you straight to it - unless it’s registration number has been changed of course ! It’s worked for me in the past.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Slydog
Hi Vanessa,

A lot of bigger dealerships have a wholesale yard with a different name just around the corner from their "head office" - In Tassie anyway.

They keep the tidy late model trade-ins in their main used car plot adjacent to the new car dealership and flog the older more tired cars in their lesser yard. They can get away with only the safety/roadworthy related stuff on these cars.

^This plus most dealers will have other car yards around them that sell cars that are a bit older and higher in kms, known in the trade as "bomby" (old bombs) yards.
They can generally call up this yard describe the car over the phone and the dealer will put a figure on the car that he would be willing to pay.

Then once the deal is done they will notify the yard and they will either pick it up or send a truck if buying multiple cars.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

^This plus most dealers will have other car yards around them that sell cars that are a bit older and higher in kms, known in the trade as "bomby" (old bombs) yards.
They can generally call up this yard describe the car over the phone and the dealer will put a figure on the car that he would be willing to pay.

Then once the deal is done they will notify the yard and they will either pick it up or send a truck if buying multiple cars.

I had personalised plates, so had to go to VicRoads and get temp plates (new car was pre-plated), so I could search using the temp reg number.....although seeing as they want my spare key, they'd know where it has gone, correct????
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:51:55 by Pikapolonica »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dealer sells the car to someone for 2k the dealer then onsales it for 5k

When/if you locate it, let the seller know that you used to own it and know all its faults and how unreliable it is. Tell them how often your dad misfuelled it (yes, I remember) and how upsetting it got when you had to limp home on dark damp nights, with just the randomly occuring rattle of the imminently failing engine mounts to keep you company.

Then and only then do you offer them $1300.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
To add to Shambles post - A few years ago a friend donated his crapped out car to a technical college for trainee mechanics to use as a test piece. They were delighted because just about everything on it had problems. I'm sure you have a similar reason for wanting to get it back.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If at sale you didn't think twice about passing to dad then you must have had concerns.... just let it go and enjoy your new motor.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

If at sale you didn't think twice about passing to dad then you must have had concerns.... just let it go and enjoy your new motor.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car, just the high kms.  I just got caught up in the moment about buying a new car.  I didn't even think about asking for a price for the new i30 without a trade in.  Probably could have gotten a better deal?

Anywho, dropped the spare key off last night and sales guy still didn't know where the car has ended up, only that he'll pass the key onto the wholesaler.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sometimes as part of salesperson commission,  if they dont eat into a set margin, they get to put trade in their name and they sell on and profit is theirs to keep.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:whistler: This the spare key for the car he doesn't know where it is?  Cheeky !

Your kms were up a bit, I don't know the model but private sale on an 08 petrol manual i30 is $4600-$6000
Low end trade-in price on the same car is $2500.
Sorry :disapp:
I think your devious dealer will be selling it himself or his wife/mate will. If it is going to a trade auction I doubt that he would worry about 2 keys.
As Dazz advised, just chalk it up.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whistler: This the spare key for the car he doesn't know where it is?  Cheeky !

Your kms were up a bit, I don't know the model but private sale on an 08 petrol manual i30 is $4600-$6000
Low end trade-in price on the same car is $2500.
Sorry :disapp:
I think your devious dealer will be selling it himself or his wife/mate will. If it is going to a trade auction I doubt that he would worry about 2 keys.
As Dazz advised, just chalk it up.

Or maybe passed on cheap to a family member...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally I would have replied, 'If you don't know where the car is, You don't know where to send the key, so I'll keep it, Goodbye'.

Enjoy your new car. If you wan't to get your old man into an i30, it might be worth looking for one with lower kms on it or maintain the status quo.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I know I know, I should move on but I'm always going to regret my decision.  Dad has a car (Toyota Camry) but it's too big for him, that's the only reason I wanted to get the i30 back, sell the Camry instead.

:( :( :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Vanessa,

We aren't having a shot at you. We've all had situations where we've been wise after the event. I'd rather not think about mine!

It nearly always works out that you have to put it down to experience.  :undecided:

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I know you’re not having a go at me, I’m just pissed off at myself.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
enjoy the new car, my brother in law was a car wholesaler think still has licence. he told me dealer friends would phone him if he thought he could make $1,000 fast same day. he had contacts different ones would always be after different types of cars. a car like yours they would buy if they knew they could make money same day move it. so would change hands twice, second time the used car dealer would have price up. so would move fast twice then slower third time.
good news is your new car, enjoy.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal