Google maps re traffic

eye30 · 4 · 2147

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Looking at google maps over the weekend to check for traffic hold ups on a route i was going along made me wonder how the info is gathered.

On major routes and motorways i assumed it was from sensors along the roads but would not expect sensors along residential streets as this would not be cost effective.

After googling,    ,  and reading how it is gathered then made me ask another question as to how much info google holds about us!

Although it says the info gathered is anonymous it does make one wonder how anonymous anonymous is.........

Worth a read...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic

Google Traffic works by analyzing the GPS-determined locations transmitted to Google by a large number of mobile phone users. By calculating the speed of users along a length of road, Google is able to generate a live traffic map. Google processes the incoming raw data about mobile phone device locations, and then excludes anomalies such as a postal vehicle that makes frequent stops. 

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING...........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That is most interesting Lester. I have often wondered how the info is collected.

My new Niro uses Tom Tom connect services to put live traffic and speed camera information on the sat-nav maps. The info is transmitted to the head unit by WiFi from a tethered smart phone set up as a wireless hot spot. I started out using my phone as the hot spot but had to keep it plugged into a USB socket to maintain battery charge. I then kept forgetting to take the phone with me when I left the car. Hence I bought a http://tinyurl.com/ybgzehfk which is left in the car and permanently plugged into a USB socket to power it whenever the ignition is on. It is loaded with a data only SIM card which connects by 4G to the 3 network.  It works perfectly.

The live traffic is excellent and has enabled us to take a detour a few times to avoid hold-ups. It covers motorways, "A" roads and some of the heavily used "B" roads all over the UK. When it warns you of a hold-up you can zoom the map to see how long the traffic jam is and an estimate of the delay time. A red chevron line is superimposed on the side of road showing how far the queue extends.

I am impressed with its accuracy and can only assume the TomTom system either uses Google info or something that works like it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Never thought of that, but it does make sense. We have a lot of traffic cameras set up on choke points that analyzes flow and road(temp/moisture etc) conditions. Plugged up into the government traffic agency. I use the app "Here now" for GPS on longer trips and it seems fairly accurate at predicting traffic(without the government sensors), that's probably on googles behalf.

Although, around here, four cars stuck behind a tractor or at a rail crossing is a major traffic jam!
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal