superficial scratches

eye30 · 16 · 8131

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remove superficial scratches from paint.

The scraches are just surface and only see them when the sun hits ant certain angle.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
G-Day,

One way to reduce the fine scratshes you speak of is to use a mild cut polish. There are polishes on the market now that come in colours to match the cars duco, red,black grey ect. Turtle wax do one and i have used it on mine and it does seem to hide the fine scraches to a degree. It is suposed to get into the crevices. What I do is give the car a polish with a mild Cut and polish agent, The one i use is made by Kitten. Be sure to use a CLEAN soft rag or you will just add more scratches. Polish off than apply the colour polish and leave to dry before polising off again. I usually finish off with one more coat, this time Auto glym super resin. It is the best wax on the market and leaves the finish looking great.

Offline LeeUm

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com/
Another handy item to use is the kitchen cleaner jif. not sure if it is available outside Aus. It does a really good job at removing the little scratches.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Leeum ..

Thanks for the suggestion about Jiff. I'm sure it would work but need to be careful not to take the whole clear coat layer off on metallic finishes :!:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Dazz is right,

You do need to be careful putting anything abrassive on the duco. I worked as a Car detailer many moons ago and I had a lady bring a car into us. It was a Datson 180 B, i did say it was a while ago! Anyway, she had bought it for her daughter as a first car. She explained to me that it was filthy dirty so she washed it with Ajax and a scouring pad. You can just imagine how it looked. We had to buff it back to nearly the primer and it still looked sh_t!
I supose the daughter could'nt complain as the car was free.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for the ideas.

My car is stone black mica  and I'm concerned that using any thing like jif or paste type polish  like T Cut will remove the mica covering?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Don't do it eye30. You'll ruin the coating
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'm due the call into dealers this week to continue the key fob saga.  Bit like Neighbours, sorry OZ m8's, so I'll ask their advice before I do anything.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Sounds like you're talking about swirl marks.

For godsake don't take up that totally dumb suggestion of using kitchen cleaner creme - What a stupid idea! You'll wreck your paintwork.

Swirl marks are annoying but normal - they are only in the clear (lacquer) topcoat and they can be softened and 'filled' by just using a good car polish and a wax coat (which you should do regularly anyway). They are most obvious in black paintwork.

If you really want to do a good job on your paintwork, get some claybar and use it before the polish and wax. It will get rid of all surface contaminants and give you a good surface for the polish and wax. But be careful with claybar - it's good stuff but if you get any grit in it you can make the swirl marks worse. Also you don't want to wear the lacquer away completely - modern cars have very thin layers of paint that can be damaged very easily.

...and keep the Jif in the kitchen. - ps, these days T-Cut is just as bad, so don't use that either.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Too late I've just try Jif.

Wow the base coat is a cream.

Just kidding

The marks, are by looking at them, were sombody has brushed between 2 cars and just brushed the paintwork not swirls which I've had on other cars.
You only see them when the sun hits at certain angle, not that we get much.
(Oz m8's - evidence from today's F1)

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "eye30"
The marks are, by looking at them, where sombody has brushed between 2 cars and just brushed the paintwork Not swirls, which I've had on other cars.
You only see them when the sun hits at certain angle, not that we get much.

Still sounds like polish and wax may sort it out mate - but I've also used Meguiars Scratch-X on my black car and it works really well. Available at any branch of Halfrauds.

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Use Meguiar's Scratch X Repeatedly (3-4times)<-- but use a orbital polisher... unless u skilled enough using your hand....
it will remove like 95-98% and is non-abrasive polish so it wont damage ur paint

Fast n Effective Techniques:

Wash the car thoroughly with any CAR SHAMPOO WASH BRAND  --->  Meguiar Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Kitten Liquid Polishing Wax No.1 (with P.T.F.E/TEFLON)

to maintain use Meguiar Quik Wax / Meguiar Ultimate Quik Detailer

Ultimate/Detailers Techniques

Wash the car thoroughly with Meguiar Nxt Generation Car Wash --->  Meguiar Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Meguiar Scratch X ---> Meguiar Deep Crystal Wet Look ---> Deep Crystal Polish --->Deep Crystal Wax ---> Kitten Liquid Polishing Wax No.1 (with P.T.F.E/TEFLON) ---> NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

to maintain use  Meguiar Ultimate Quik Detailer / Nxt Generation Speed Detailer

Note: pic taken by some pro using this technique
Before

After

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Nice one echocae,

Fortunately my scratches are not THAT bad but its worth looking at.

Thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah nice work echocae.. The photos certainly get the message across!

i30manUK ( your signature pix is very effective - I'm inspired to do one for me when I get a chance)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
echocae,

I have used Maguiars products before and find them to be excelent, You have a fellow fan in Hemmi. Check out pics of his car to see what I mean.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal