• i30 Owners Club
Why are there two threads on this one problem? :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
^^^Cos you are the merge king and I had to go out to my ballroom dance class :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Why are there two threads on this one problem? :rolleyes:

1 is for the front and the other the back  :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :-[ :P :eek: :arrow: :mrgreen: :evil: :exclaim: :cool:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I seen a late model Toyota Kluger yesterday - I was following it in traffic.  The bumper was nowhere near the same colour as the rest of the car.  It was a greyish metallic, and the bumper looked almost blue.  Not sure it might have been a bad colour matching repair done but it was in direct sunlight and it was shockingly bad.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
When the car body is sprayed in the car plant the spraying is done in a particular sweep and this give an overall blend of colour.
But when the item is an add on, such as the rear bumper, the spraying may have been in the opposite direction/sweep to that applied to the car body.
The finished car when viewed give the sense of different shadings although both parts are the same paint code etc.
If you can, view the car from different directions, side on, front to back, top to ground, ground to top etc and see what shading you see.

I've seen this bumper matching problem on cars in the past and the above theory makes sense to me.  If this is the case it seems a shame that Hyundai can't ensure that the bumpers are sprayed in the same direction as the bodywork :question:

It will be interesting to hear a response, if PeeJay36 does as you suggest and views the paintwork at different angles.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi all, I have taken the car in, Hyundai confirmed all special editions are retro fitted in the country the car is sold in, and that my bumpers are not a good match (someone else has informed me their friend has the same problem) and that the car will be taken in for a respray. Something I have rejected.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Hi all, I have taken the car in, Hyundai confirmed all special editions are retro fitted in the country the car is sold in, and that my bumpers are not a good match (someone else has informed me their friend has the same problem) and that the car will be taken in for a respray. Something I have rejected.

I guess at most they should respray the bumpers, but I'd rather expect some new bumpers to fitted, presumably you do to  :exclaim: I'm sure the original bumpers would have matched.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I know I sound fussy, but the thought of having so young a car resprayed does not appeal to me,not to say the garage wont do a good job (sometimes the finish can be better than factory work) the car will not seem like a new(ish) car to me. beginning to wonder about the quality now..... :'(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I know I sound fussy, but the thought of having so young a car resprayed does not appeal to me,not to say the garage wont do a good job (sometimes the finish can be better than factory work) the car will not seem like a new(ish) car to me. beginning to wonder about the quality now..... :'(

I guess if they respray the bumpers then it's not too big a deal. I certainly wouldn't want them paint anything else. The bumpers are plastic anyway. I'd certainly be holding out for replacements though.

I had a 9 year old bumper on my last car resprayed (someone else paid lol) and it was a perfect match and immaculate afterwards.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I had 3 cars on the go before I bought the i30 (one was for teaching my kids to drive in) my main car was hit 4 times (rear ended each time!!!) the bumpers were replaced and resprayed (white gold) and matched each time, once the damage included heavy panel damage.. the respray blended 100%. As I posted above, just worried now about quality.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I don't think this is a question of quality PeeJay, I think it is probably (as alluded to earlier in the thread) that your car is from the Euro factory and that the bumpers may have been painted with Korean paint and fitted in the UK) or vice-versa, don't have time to check just now I am going out :-[.  There shouldn't be a difference but that means nothing. 

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I think you were just unlucky with the bumper and I'm also fussy, that is why I refused to let the Hyundai dealer respray my sill when I found a small scratch on it from new.  I said I would use some of there touch up paint on it.

The problem you have is obviously more noticeable than I had and I can't see why Hyundai should not be able to just order you a new bumper to be fitted and at worst you should only need the bumper removed and resprayed.

I agree with Lorian basically, but just thought I would add a second opinion.  I also agree with you as regards to not have the complete car resprayed :eek:.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Sorry all, I seem to have mislead every one, its the bumpers (front and back) that are to be resprayed :-[, still dont fancy it though!

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Sorry all, I seem to have mislead every one, its the bumpers (front and back) that are to be resprayed :-[, still dont fancy it though!

No m8y not mislead me, I should have said bumpers in my post and not bumper :D.

I would probably have it sorted myself, but maybe easier said when it aint my car.  If you don't fancy having it done at the moment, why don't you try and bide a bit of time with Hyundai, by asking them to keep the complaint alive and for you to consider having it done at your next annual service :question:

You can make up your mind then, with the comfort of knowing it will be sorted if you choose.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I must admit I am unsure of what to do next, I am a little disapointed at the way the car was thrown together at dockside (all the alloys had some marks on them,and the locking wheel nuts on all wheels were chewed up a bit.. they have all begun to rust now). My missus thinks I have bought a bag of spanners!!.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Think I noticed my locking nuts showing some corrosion and considered painting them.

I’m afraid that most of us don’t get a perfect car, but we do get a near perfect warranty.  Some owners will say there is nothing wrong with there car and you and I might look around it and notice all sorts of things we would not be happy with; it all comes down to the fussiness or expectations of the individual at the end of the day.

If it was me as fussy as I am, I would prioritize what is pi$$ing me off and go back to the dealership and get them to sort it out and if the dealership was not helpful, I would go to another one or contact Hyundai Customer Services and by the way, they are meant to have a good reputation for customer satisfaction.  No point in leaving it m8y, as none of the problems sound terminal and you know you probably won't be happy until the car is how you want it.

Also, are the wheels damaged or are they marks that can be cleaned off :question:

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
All the alloys had some scratches where the wheel nuts are, both the right hand front and rear were the worse, rear one changed under warranty........its begun to pit and bubble already!!. I know I sound fussy, and some minor faults are just that, minor. I have dealt with HUK customer services once, just to speak about some slight delivery damage, so they were aware and maybe step in if things werent dealt with (as it happens my dealer is excellent) the help they gave me? "I would contact trading standards sir, if not happy"...... makes you wonder :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
What size of alloys are they??

I know that on the MS 18", the holes for the wheel nuts are really "tight" and the guy that took mine off and on refused to let his apprentice do it in case he damaged the wheels.

Perhaps all the wheels are a bit like that??????????????

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The wheel nuts look like cheap chrome to me, but mine were delivered in good condition, but then I was the first person to ever take them off as they are snowflakes.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi bumpkin, I have 16" alloys added(at dockside) as part of the models being a special edition, they are nice looking wheels, which are now fitted as standard on comfort models. I agree with Lorian, they do look like cheap chrome .The box of spares and wheel key I had given to me with the car had on the top a load of digits and model: santa fe.printed. Last time I went to the showroom I looked at the wheels on them, and they were completely rusted over (the key nut that is).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
completely rusted over (the key nut that is).

Mine was like this from nearly day 1.

Also, I found it a sod to remove so I don't torgue this nut right up any more.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I have thought about starting again, trading in for another i30, to give it another shot. The 2010 comfort spec is not as good as the 2009 spec.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

completely rusted over (the key nut that is).

Mine was like this from nearly day 1.

Also, I found it a sod to remove so I don't torgue this nut right up any more.

Oh, It was the regular nuts that I thought looked like cheap chrome. My supplied locks are "MCGARD" locks and they look like pretty good quality. I have torqued them up and removed them OK as well. Mine are not rusty (yet?).

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi, as most of my regular nuts were burred when the upgraded alloys were fitted they have begun to rust, all but one that is.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal