i30 Owners Club

PAINT

PeeJay36 · 54 · 10927

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hello all, I have a Red comfort 1.4  has anyone else noticed a difference in shading from the bumpers to the red on the bodywork? I notice it more under artificial light and it looks like the bumpers have been put on from another i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the Forum PJ - nice to have you aboard.. :wink:

I haven't heard of it on an i30 but seen it on some other cars..

Because the body is metal and the bumpers are plastic it is not uncommon for them to throw a different shade
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The plastic part of the bonnet/bumpers on our Peugeot 207 looks a little darker than the rest, but I can only see it when it's in the garage with the flourescent lights on.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yeah dazz,and red does it the most.you can also notice it on silver.[the father inlaws elantra] :rolleyes:         welcome peejay 36 :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hello all, I have a Red comfort 1.4 es ( with factory fitted rear parking sensors and silver inserts on the front bumper) has anyone else noticed a difference in shading from the bumpers to the red on the bodywork? I notice it more under artificial light and it looks like the bumpers have been put on from another i30.

Take it back for the dealer to look at.

But before you do, if there is a body shop locally ask them for an opinion so you can counter any comments they may make, especially if it differs from the "experts".
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks for the replies,and the welcomes. There are quote a few red i30s around so I will keep an eye out for one and see if I notice any shading differences on them . I will be visiting my dealers soon(who are superb) as I have a few issues for them to have a look at... I will add this to the list!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome PJ :D

... I have a few issues for them to have a look at...

Anything serious?

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hello Shambles,
nothing terminal, However they are taking away some of the pleasure of owning a new car. Some issues  I have, are popping up on this forum, i.e economy,lack of power, difficulty in selecting reverse, strange noise when reversing for a couple of seconds, very rough lumpy ride  and a recent breakdown. All showing with less then 6k on the clock. I am beginning to think the factory in europe may have rushed out the cars due to the success of Hyundai sales with the scrappage scheme here in the uk!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what was the break down issue? [the cause/fault]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again PJ sorry to hear about your issues.. hope they get sorted and don't re-occur..

You may have already done this, but if not, tell the dealers you are very impressed with their service and that you have given them a good wrap on this worldwide site.. it will encourage them to keep looking after you (nothing like positive reinforcement to get results) even works on this site... :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rolleyes: :lol: :cool:

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi 2i30s,  
my breakdown was down to not being able to start the car after being left for a few days . The cause was possible sensor/ecu error in the emissions readings due to a short start and stop in cold weather. Never had this before with any car, sadly since then we have been using the missus 206 (voted the worst car in Britain to own by auto express readers in 08) as even in this very cold weather here in Kent it never fails to start. Stopping it however, is another matter!!! :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rolleyes: :eek:

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
My Bumper bar is fine but my petrol cover /door is a different colour.

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
I have a Czech built 1.4 Comfort also in red and can't see any difference in the bumper colour and the rest (but I don't have the additional parking sensors). I'm sorry to hear about your problems and hope there isn't a drop in quality compared with the Korean models. I have only done about 1000 miles and had only the one problem with the rear tail light not seated correctly and leaking water into the boot. So far economy seems to be fair (about 40 mpg on a start and stop 4 mile run to and from work). It is worth calculating up your real economy rather than using the onboard computer that isn't all that accurate. 

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Makes me think maybe the es grill and reversing sensors are fitted at port of entry by just replacing the bumpers.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I convinced myself the bumpers were fitted at dockside,until I noticed the other shine red i30 not far from my house.I couldnt see any parking sensors,and there was a slight shade change still, so that knocked that theory. There have been reports of an early trade in scheme being considered by Hyundai uk, called happy returns, or something like that. If that is the case it may be a way of changing at minimal cost, I wont get the same dash insert,that seems to be premium only, and like shine red, but if I could get an EDITION model with the diesel engine for a moderate cash spend I would be more than happy to give the model another try.In another colour. The trade in values I have been offered have been reasonable so far,but it does mean in many instances,a fairly large cash difference, something I am keen to avoid having only bought it 5 months ago.
Hello highandnotdry, I didnt notice at first, I bought the car in the summer(!), the first time I noticed was parking the car at an underground car park.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like a promising option PJ

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Take it back to the dealers and ask for an expert opinion.

But first take it to a local body shop and get their opinion.

If they indicate paint fade then you can argue with confidence.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I think I will take it back (thanks eye30) walked past the other red i30 again tonight, the shading is barely noticeable, unlike mine.I dont think its colour fade.

EDIT - I put the photo here also PeeJay, cos some folks wont got back to the top of the thread :wink: (bumpkin)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thats poor workmanship,very poor.  :mad:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Going by that photo, it doesn’t look right m8y.  I'm not sure if the paint on the bumper is a different colour, or it is just missing a lacquer :question:.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Going by that photo, it doesn’t look right m8y.  I'm not sure if the paint on the bumper is a different colour, or it is just missing a lacquer :question:.

I don't think a laquer would make that much difference (no offence but if it is obvious in a photo of that quality it should be fixed under warranty!)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Its definitely not a lacquer issue it's the paint.

If the bumpers were changed at port of entry, maybe they are the Ulsan version of the red, and there is a slight variation with the Nosovice car.

If it was mine, I'd take it back for sure, it's not right.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That is definitely way wrong, get them to sort that out pronto :'(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks all, in daylight the colour difference isnt so bad. I took these pictures in an underground carpark,to highlight the car at its worse, there were several red cars parked, including an 09 corsa painted a very similar red, there was no shading difference at all (or with any of the cars, all various age groups).
 :question: :rolleyes:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I don't think a laquer would make that much difference (no offence but if it is obvious in a photo of that quality it should be fixed under warranty!)

No offence taken :D.  

I'm not saying it aint a warranty issue, but it is not always easy to get an accurate photo image due to lighting situations etc.  If you look at the upper part of the picture, the colour changes again and I'm sure that would not be the case with a naked eye.

In my eyes, there are parts of that bodywork that looks a similar colour to the bumper, I just think the whole picture needs to be looked at and not just directly above the bumper.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thats a fair point starseeker, my phone camera is not that good so standing back from the car to get the whole car in may not have come out very clearly, they do look as bad when you see the whole car. In addition my camera (phone) is not the best quality yet it still showed the difference....its worse in the flesh!.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I'm also trying to justify my evaluation of that photo, because if you look at it and I have closely saved on to my desktop, the bumper looks nearly the same colour as the top part of your wing and bonnet in my eyes.

You have a better chance of knowing whether the colour aint right with the naked eye and if you are not happy with it, you need to go back to your Hyundai dealership.  If the dealership don't play ball, take it to another one with preferably its own paint shop.  If still no luck, you could take it to any good bodywork shop and ask there opinion and if they agree with yourself, you can then contact Hyundai Customer Services.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Now I've seen this shading before on new cars.

The chap in the paint shop tried to explain why it happens and I'll try and parrot phase what he told me.

When the car body is sprayed in the car plant the spraying is done in a particular sweep and this give an overall blend of colour.

But when the item is an add on, such as the rear bumper, the spraying may have been in the opposite direction/sweep to that applied to the car body.

The finished car when viewed give the sense of different shadings although both parts are the same paint code etc.

Now I'm wondering if this may have happened with our car.

If you can, view the car from different directions, side on, front to back, top to ground, ground to top etc and see what shading you see.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal