Dazzler · 72 · 18327

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well I did it... Filled my CRDi with Unleaded  :'( :'( :'(

Fortunately I didn't start it but it's sitting all by itself at a Woolies Caltex down town waiting for my friendly service centre to rescue her 2moro morning...

She was showing about 70kms to empty and I "only" put in about 52 ltrs of unleaded before I realised  :eek: (Nice waste of about A$65 worth of unleaded!!)

Guess I will get it towed about 2 km to the service centre 2moro so they can drain it...If I can I'm going to try and salvage about 40 ltrs for my Brother-in-laws tractor...

I've never gone close to doing it before (doubt I will ever do it again - touchwood)  :-[ :-[ :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
LUCKY YOU DIDNT START HER UP AND DRIVE AWAY :rolleyes: :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Aww poo  :-[

When did you realise what a dimbo you'd been?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i bet he didnt say oh poo :eek:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yuk!
Us petrol owners don't have that problem.  :mrgreen:
(says he, hopefully)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When I started looking for the froth to top her up to the brim...The wife reckons I've been a bit vague for the last few days (but I can't remember.. :lol:)  

Pain in the ass but I'm being a bit philosophical about it...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you should be ok as you didnt start her up [the car,not the misses]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the missus must be sick.. she's been real good about it.. (just hope I never put diesel in the Tiida.. that would be a different story I reckon)  :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
petrol in a diesel is very bad especially if you start it up,but diesel in a petrol isn't so bad even once you have started it up.drain the fuel clean the spark plugs and you blow some smoke for a bit.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Very lucky escape, the cost of the petrol is nothing compared to what you could have done if you had driven away.

I already new I would do this sometime (I am getting older!) , so I looked at a lot of the after-market mis-fuel devices and settled on this one:

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/

It was about the most reputable one available, that had been tested properly etc. It took about 1 minute to fit. If anyone wants I can take a pic sometime. It basically stops smaller nozzles being inserted by having two semi-circle tynes pointing out of the hole, kinda simple really.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what a good idea. :cool: the diesel filler neck should be different to petrol anyway :rolleyes:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :'( :'(

Bet you don't feel too Dazzling after that :exclaim:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess I might have to look into one of those Lorian.. Like I said before I haven't even come close to doing it before.

Was a bit tired and my elderly Brother in law was having trouble getting a picture on his TV...so I offered to shoot up to his place (about 20 minutes away) and fix it for him.. when I got in the car realised I needed fuel... so dashed in in a hurry because wanted to get home and load my Windows 7 update on to my new laptop  :rolleyes:

Anyway he ended up coming down to rescue us instead  :lol:

I gave him more instructions and he fixed his Tv himself! 

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Sorry to hear that mate, but it sounds like you dodged a bullet there!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Stew.. Guess I'll find out 2moro..

Least I'll be sucked out... not sucked in... :lol:

Offline Nagaz

• 2nd Gear
Sorry to hear mate....

But at least you looking at it with a smile...
If you can laugh at yourself, it does make it seem less trivial...

Let us know how it works out....

Nagaz

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If it was me, just as a precauton, I'd make sure my next tank full was premium diesel, if you normally use the cheaper regular stuff.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well I did it... Filled my CRDi with Unleaded  :'( :'( :'(

Fortunately I didn't start it but it's sitting all by itself at a Woolies Caltex down town waiting for my friendly service centre to rescue her 2moro morning...

She was showing about 70kms to empty and I "only" put in about 52 ltrs of unleaded before I realised  :eek: (Nice waste of about A$65 worth of unleaded!!)

Guess I will get it towed about 2 km to the service centre 2moro so they can drain it...If I can I'm going to try and salvage about 40 ltrs for my Brother-in-laws tractor...

I've never gone close to doing it before (doubt I will ever do it again - touchwood)  :-[ :-[ :-[

Sorry to hear that Dazz, how did you manage to do that?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
petrol in a diesel is very bad especially if you start it up,but diesel in a petrol isn't so bad even once you have started it up.drain the fuel clean the spark plugs and you blow some smoke for a bit.

2i30s, m8 that can't happen these day's, as diesel's have large filler hole large bowser , unlead has very small little hole won't fit in, back in the old days pre unlead, petrol cars had larger filler hole, they put the smaller hole in unlead to stop unlead owners useing leaded super high octain, not to stop them putting diesel fuel in. but in the leaded fuel days a mate of mine filled his petrol car with diesel, stuffed it.

45 years of driving both diesel and petrol & i still have never done that can,t work out how others do it, last year a mate at work told me he was talking to an old retired cople that had a new M Benz camper it was brand new, he has a M Benz the same so went to chat, the old guy was just about to put unlead fuel in it my friend stopped him.
i also drove in USA through half the country had no problem driving left hand drive on right side of the road , but a mate nearly killed us. have to keep your mind on the job!
cheers
ps Dazz i have two long hoses, two different sizes, one high flow, one small diam lower flow, they have brass or copper fitting at one end, it has a ball in it. you put the copper ball end into fuel and shake it, it draws the fuel out. works good. would be handy for you to keep on in the boot with the spare wheel.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just thought i would explain, diesel slow burning, powerful , petrol unlead faster burn rate, premium slower burn rate. put diesel into a petrol and it does not burn fast enough so can hydralic the motor.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What are you ....................

It takes a brave person to own up to doing this. 

I take it most of us would stay stum.

Hope you get it sorted pronto and no damage to the engine when you refuel.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

The same thing happened to my dad few months ago on our previous Santa Fe even though he was always making fun of people that did that.

But the difference between you and him is that HE DID START THE CAR! He filled up 50 liters of Unleaded fuel on 20 lit Diesel he had in before (70 lit tank). What happened then? Nothing..when he got home I drove it around and filled it up to the max every 20 km's (that's what my Hyundai dealer told me to do - when the car had been already driven).

Luckily nothing was wrong..though I can't know what happened/will happen later, when we sold it 1 month after the incident..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the support guys.. Sometimes I'm sharp as a pin but occassionally get vdery vague (usually if in a hurry or thinking about other things)

Lorian..We don't appear to have access to Premium Diesel here in Tasmania (only 500,000 total population so miss out on a few things.. not much) But have already decided I'll either put an injector cleaner though after or an additive for a few tankfuls...Just to be on the safe side..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully she wasn't vandalised overnite.. The attendant said the boss told her to tell me I left it there at my own risk and It was possible the tyres might get slashed or something..(lucky I've got new ones on order  :rolleyes:)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
500,000 population and you still get tyre-slashers :eek:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
[Inserts generic blast about Tasmania from a mainlander's view about Tassie! In regards to tyre-slashing!]

Man that's no good... Let us know how it goes.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

2i30s, m8 that can't happen these day's, as diesel's have large filler hole large bowser , unlead has very small little hole won't fit in, back in the old days pre unlead, petrol cars had larger filler hole, they put the smaller hole in unlead to stop unlead owners useing leaded super high octain, not to stop them putting diesel fuel in. but in the leaded fuel days a mate of mine filled his petrol car with diesel, stuffed it.

45 years of driving both diesel and petrol & i still have never done that can,t work out how others do it, last year a mate at work told me he was talking to an old retired cople that had a new M Benz camper it was brand new, he has a M Benz the same so went to chat, the old guy was just about to put unlead fuel in it my friend stopped him.
i also drove in USA through half the country had no problem driving left hand drive on right side of the road , but a mate nearly killed us. have to keep your mind on the job!
cheers
ps Dazz i have two long hoses, two different sizes, one high flow, one small diam lower flow, they have brass or copper fitting at one end, it has a ball in it. you put the copper ball end into fuel and shake it, it draws the fuel out. works good. would be handy for you to keep on in the boot with the spare wheel.

a jiggle syphon its called :cool:in a car with a carby[pre 1980] its not so bad,but a modern car yes its something you cant really go wrong with on fill up :razz:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sometimes I'm sharp as a pin but occassionally get vdery vague (usually if in a hurry or thinking about other things)

Senior moment :lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
Not good at all. hopefully all will be ok. Maybe you should change you name to Dieseler. :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal