i30 Owners Club

Original dimensions of i30 15" aluminium alloy wheels

Ogi · 26 · 13727

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
What are they, exactly!?? Does anybody know?

I want to put aluminium alloy wheels soon but i don' know the exact dimensions. What i have found on the net is that dimenions of Kia Ceed's alloys are 5.5J x 15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET47.0. Since those two cars are in fact the same i found that it is the dimension for i30 also.

This is for the 185 65 R15 tyres which i drive.

It is extremely hard to found this dimensions here, not to mention the ET number.

What i wonder too is how much it is important for the ET number to be exact like the original alloys? I know what it means but i heard that every difference higher than 5mm is not recommended.

I need help on this!

Thanks! :)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hm, it should be like this. I think both alloy and "ordinary" wheels have the same.

R15 185/65 (5.5J x 15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET47.0)
R15 195/65 (5.5J x 15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET45.0)
R16 205/55 (6.0J x 16 5x114.3 d67.1 ET51.0)
R17 225/45 (7,0J x 17 5x114.3 d67.1 ET56.0)

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Ok, today i have found the alloys i like, here: http://www.kormetal.com/ingilizce/jantdetay.asp?wheel_ID=139&secenek=7

But i have many doubts about it... first of all, those are 6,5J and the guy in the store told me that i can put my 185 65 R15 tyres on them. Is this true ?

Furthermore, there a table on the KM website, here it is: http://www.kormetal.com/Aplikasyon/KORMETAL/km%20795.pdf It sais here that central hole is 67,2 but like Accim sais, it is 67,1 for i30. What if there is a difference in 0,1 ?

Also, ET is 40 and the original ones seems to be 47. Is that a problem for the chassis or something?

The price is very good but i have a problem buying them now cos i am afraid that i won't be able to mount them in 2 months when i change my winter tyres for the summer ones when i want to put alloys, all in once... i don't want to damage them during winter...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They look very nice ogi but from the other info you have supplied it sounds doubtful they will fit properly  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
My friends on the other forum say that it will fit.

Why do you think they won't?

Anyone know for sure?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Ogi, the wheels look very nice, you can fit the 185 tyre on those 6.5 width rim, but the tyre wall will be slightly stretched out more, as the rim width will be wider than the tyre tread width.
when i was young, the widest tyer you could get was 195 width, but i saw people fit them to 7.0 & 8.0 rims. it's not ideal but it will work.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My friends on the other forum say that it will fit.

Why do you think they won't?

Anyone know for sure?

I agree with Lakes that the tyres should fit on the wheel but will the wheel fit properly on the i30.. not so sure with the other numbers you supplied?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz has a very important point there.
have you tried to mount these wheels onto your i30 without tyres just to see if they fit?
As the front brake caliper is very large and my stock SLX 16" Hy wheel just manages to clear that front caliper, would make it more dificult to just go out and buy wheels. and changing to different calipers could turn out to be even more expencive than wheels.i have seen people use a grinder to improve caliper to wheel clearance but, could not do it in this case.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
I know what i will do. I'll show up at the store with my summer tyres and will check all on the spot! Thats the only right thing i can do. That is  the only way i can be sure. If it won't fit right, i won't buy it. :(

But there shouldn't be a problem becouse my tyre is 18,5cm wide and 6,5 inches is = 16,5cm so the tyre is still wider. Am i right?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello, it's something like this if I remember correctly..

ET is offset. Smaller the offset (ET), more the wheels "stick out". You could put ET 45 for example and they would be slightly more out than E47, but it would still be within it's limits. ET 40 is a bit too much. I think they would stick out from the chassis. So..when buying try to buy ET closest to original one and you won't have problems.

6,5J -> 185/65/15 would also go on 6,5J wide alloys, but I think the ideal for 185/65 is 5,5 or 6,0J. For 195/65 I would rather use 6,0J or 6,5J wheels because 5,5 seems just to narrow for me, but ok. Also for 205/55 I would rather use 7,0J but OK, they use 6,5 so the tire would be more protected. On my previous car (Hyundai Accent) I even had 195/55 tires on 7J and it looked nice, but the alloys got scratched almost instantly because they were sticking out a bit too much.

As far as diameter hole is concerned.. Yes our stock is 67,1. When buying you must pay attention not to buy alloys with smaller diameter. You can buy alloys with bigger diameter, but the "alloy-dealer" should also sell you (or some dealers in Slovenia make them) "pivot-rings" that go into alloys hole so they would fit on narrower diameter (in this case 67,1). Don't know if it's possible to make pivot-rings that would go 67,2 -> 67,1. That's how most alloys are sold in Slovenia. I'm planning on ordering new alloys in March and I've also found which I would like: The dimensions are 7Jx16, 5x114,3 but diameter of the hole is 70. So they make pivot-rings for each car separately so they would fit on the car (for i30 they'll make 70->67,1 for let's say Mazda 6, which also has 5x114,3 they'll make different rings and so on). The best thing is of course to buy alloys that perfectly fit your car or buy original ones. In that case you won't have to buy additional "rings" and so on.. When buying, you can also buy alloys for Kia Ceed, because they fit (size) perfectly - I had them on.

So the bottom line... I think those alloys wouldn't fit your car. Look for ET that is between E47 to E45. For tires wide 185, I would buy rims wide between 5,5-6,0J and that's kind of it.. Hope I've helped.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
some good points there accim, i agree i don't like larger tyres on narrow rims as do not feel as good in steering. also narrow tyres would help fuel economy. it all adds up.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
A guy offered me RIAL alloys. Are they good? The ET is closer to the original, the price is a bit higher, but not so much. Here r they:

http://wheel-konfigurator.rial.de/default.aspx

It sais here on this link that they fit on 185. Why wouldn't they if the tyre is still wider than the alloy?

There are apsolutely NO 5,5J alloys that i could found! 6,5 only, the least.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Those are nice. 6,5J will be fine, I mean it will fit and it will look nice, but the alloys get scratched faster. Just watch out for alloys then  :)

Below there is a pic of my previous car (Accent), which was on 7J and tires 195/55. It will look similar to this, maybe little bit less.

Oh and yes..this is a great site, where you can check many alloy/tire infos. -> http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp  (For the 185/65/15 tire you can "use" 5J×15 to 6,5J×15 alloys) So the perfect one would be 6J, but I know it's impossible to find it.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
You accent was really beautiful ! I can't see that there is something wrong with the alloys!? If u have some better picture maybe?

All in all, i'll go there, check it out and then decide.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
I bought RIAL alloys today, made in Germany!!

Administrator Comment Unfortunately, these pictures have been deleted by the author :(

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Concave
This topic has been very useful.

I have an i30cw, year 2011, 1.6 petrol FDH.

As far as could find, the alloy wheels I need for my 185/65 R15 tyres are:
5.50j (up to 6.50j won't hurt) R15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET47.0
and these are hard to find. All I can do is order at my car dealer but they are pricy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:00:15 by Concave »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

and these are nard to find. All I can do is order at my car dealer but they are pricy.
Not sure where you are Concave (not Oz based on that tyre size) but there should be plenty of options for after market wheels in 15 x 6.0 or 6.50
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

and these are nard to find. All I can do is order at my car dealer but they are pricy.
Not sure where you are Concave (not Oz based on that tyre size) but there should be plenty of options for after market wheels in 15 x 6.0 or 6.50

Zawiercie (Poland?) where famous Zawiercie Crystal comes from ... :D

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

There's no way you'll find aftermarket wheels with those dimensions as you've probably seen. Only by ordering new at a Hyundai dealer or finding some used ones on the ebay or so.

You should look for the wheels with larger diameter of the central hole (instead of d67.1 go for the diameter around 70) and ET around 45. I wouldn't go for less then 45 as they will stick our too much.

You should then buy "central rings" (don't know exactly how they are called over there), that will reduce the diameter from let's say d70 to d67.1  That's the way I have it. My wheels are 7J×16, ET50, d70 -> and central ring 70->67.1

Concave

Aye, this the Zawiercie (POLAND) you are reffering to, and the Zawiercie Crystal factory is very close to where I live.

There's no way you'll find aftermarket wheels with those dimensions as you've probably seen. Only by ordering new at a Hyundai dealer or finding some used ones on the ebay or so.

You should look for the wheels with larger diameter of the central hole (instead of d67.1 go for the diameter around 70) and ET around 45. I wouldn't go for less then 45 as they will stick our too much.

You should then buy "central rings" (don't know exactly how they are called over there), that will reduce the diameter from let's say d70 to d67.1  That's the way I have it. My wheels are 7J×16, ET50, d70 -> and central ring 70->67.1
There are a lot of Chinese knock-offs on the market, their prices are ca. 30% lower then the original ones (provided by the car dealer - hopefully they are better). However, the opinion at the car garages here is that every fourth of these cheaper ones is bent even before it's used for the first time and the half of remaining will bent soon enough. I do not like those odds.

I already have tires so I will have to buy the alloy wheels at my dealer which match my tires and the car. Just gonna pay extra for that pleasure.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
The wheels in my avatar are genuine Hyundai 15" rims, picked them up on eBay as an unused set....still in their cartons....

Mind you there is not a lot of clearance between rim and brake caliper, but they are fine.

I guess you just have to be "johnny onthe spot"... :rofl:

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Aye, this the Zawiercie (POLAND) you are reffering to, and the Zawiercie Crystal factory is very close to where I live.

There are a lot of Chinese knock-offs on the market, their prices are ca. 30% lower then the original ones (provided by the car dealer - hopefully they are better). However, the opinion at the car garages here is that every fourth of these cheaper ones is bent even before it's used for the first time and the half of remaining will bent soon enough. I do not like those odds.

I already have tires so I will have to buy the alloy wheels at my dealer which match my tires and the car. Just gonna pay extra for that pleasure.

With "Chinese" I think you are talking about "replica alloy wheels" -> that look just like original ones but aren't. And yes, the quality of those is not even close to the original ones. With aftermarket wheels I was thinking about alloys of other normal manufacturers -> like OZ or Tomason (I had those on my i30), BBS, Momo,..

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario
Great info here, thanks guys.
Shopping for rims for my Summer tires.
 :cool:
  • 2012 Touring

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario