GREAT SOURCE OF INFO ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES

Dazzler · 12 · 3148

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Found this great site for doing research on the many countries our members come from... I for one will be studying up on Iceland, Bulgaria, Belgium , Croatia etc.. so I have a better understanding of our fellow members...

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... index.html

Rgds,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

• First Lesson. Stick em with the pointy end.
The CIA site is so boring, so i'll post a link for Bulgaria with useful information.

http://www.bulgariatravel.org/eng/index.php

have nice day.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
You don't need a site for the UK.  
You have your own ORACLE at the touch of a qwerty.
Just and we'll give you the low down, warts and all.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dani ..

Thanks for that.. will have a good look when I get time..

Eye..

Here in Aus we get a fair bit of info about anything happening in the UK and guess a lot of people over here would have a pretty good idea of thinks like your population etc... for example I work with a POM and he often talks about his "homeland"... When you get floods or strikes or anything its fairly high profile on our news. Whereas Bulgaria or Iceland for example is a different story.

I had no idea about the population of iceland and for some reason thought it was a lot bigger than it is. Just as a comparison from the CIA site I found out that Iceland is only about 1 and a half times the size of Tasmania and is even less scarcely populated than Tasmania (Pop is a bit over 300K versus 500K for Tassie) I like to find things like that out it helps me better understand the other members situations and environment....

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
I had no idea about the population of iceland and for some reason thought it was a lot bigger than it is. Just as a comparison from the CIA site I found out that Iceland is only about 1 and a half times the size of Tasmania and is even less scarcely populated than Tasmania (Pop is a bit over 300K versus 500K for Tassie) I like to find things like that out it helps me better understand the other members situations and environment....

yup, small population, Iceland is largely an arctic desert, punctuated with mountains, glaciers, volcanoes and waterfalls,
so you only can live in a small portion of the island, mainly the coast.

Iceland is also very young country, was settled about 874.
Heres more about that if you like  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_Iceland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ing%C3%B3lfur_Arnarson

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
To me if I say I'm going to Iceland it's a shop where I go to get my frozen food. HE HE HE (joke Hemmi )
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hemmi,  

Correct me if i am wrong, but I have heard that Greenland is covered in ice and that Iceland is actually green! Rather ironic is'nt it.
Like how you park on a drive way but drive on a parkway! :lol:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote from: "eye30"
To me if I say I'm going to Iceland it's a shop where I go to get my frozen food. HE HE HE (joke Hemmi )

you silly cock  :lol:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Hemmi,  

Correct me if i am wrong, but I have heard that Greenland is covered in ice and that Iceland is actually green! Rather ironic is'nt it.
Like how you park on a drive way but drive on a parkway! :lol:  and it worked.

The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder.

When Erik returned to Iceland after his term of banishment had expired, he brought with him stories of "Greenland". Erik purposely gave the land a more appealing name than "Iceland" in order to lure potential settlers. He explained, "people would be attracted to go there if it had a favorable name". Ultimately, though, he did this to gain favor among people, as he knew that the success of any settlement in Greenland would need the support of as many people as possible. His salesmanship proved successful, as many people (especially "those Vikings living on poor land in Iceland" and those that had suffered a "recent famine") became convinced that Greenland held great opportunity.

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
if u want some basic history about romania (at least stuff we are proud of) http://youtube.com/watch?v=oEH2gh-zsxM watch this. And if you want to see stupid stuff just do a general search on youtube about romania :)) have fun

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Tiny for sharing that (I enjoyed the video) highly recommended to other members - an eye openner!

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

yeah great video Tiny, and yes lovely women in eastern europe  8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal