i30 Owners Club

New Car Owner Tips?

ntebis · 10 · 3703

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
So I just got my first new car an i30 PD Active. Excited but at the same time a bit anxious, so I got some questions.

I used to drive a 2002 Holden Astra and since it was old, I did not take too much care of the exterior, but now since i got a new i30 I would like to do some extra effort.

In terms of cleaning, how should I clean the car? How often should I wax? Do I need to buy a specific wax?

In terms of care, what else should I do.

In terms of warranty (in Australia), I was told that interfering with the electronics voids the warranty, I want to install a dashcam, but not just by having a cable run under the glove box. My dealership quoted me 900$ and I think it is outrageous.

Any other tips are welcomed!

Thank you In advance!
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Welcome ntebis

The skies the limit when it comes to looking after paintwork so you need to decide how involved you'd like to get, the simple process and all that's really required on a new car would be to use a wash wax once a fortnight or monthly depending on how quickly it gets dirty, Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax (the yellow stuff) :link: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax - 1.42 Litre - Supercheap Auto is fine if you want to keep it simple.

If you're on water restrictions the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax :link: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax 946ml - ZAS is good for regular light duty cleaning.

There is obviously processes that are alot more involved but without knowing your level of care I've just made some of the easiest suggestions I can recommend :)

As far as dashcams are involved I had no idea dealerships even installed dashcams :confused: I wouldn't be getting the dealers to do it though, you could purchase the cam and fit yourself with minimal skills or a knowledgable friend or auto electrician would only charge a small fee.

Before getting a dashcam you first need to decide if you want one that will record while parked or do you just need it for when driving, do you need single channel - front camera only or dual channel - front and rear? warranty would only be affected if the cam caused a fault with a specific part which is highly unlikely.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

Like Craig says, no need to stress. A gentle hand wash with any name brand wash and wax product will not do any harm.

Everyone has a different standard as far as waxing their car goes, but at a minimum an annual application of a name brand Polish/wax should be adequate. Really keen members use a Clay Bar to remove stubborn grit and the like before waxing, but that is optional.

There are some discussions on here about the merits of one brand over another.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
As far as dashcams are involved I had no idea dealerships even installed dashcams :confused: I wouldn't be getting the dealers to do it though, you could purchase the cam and fit yourself with minimal skills or a knowledgable friend or auto electrician would only charge a small fee.

Before getting a dashcam you first need to decide if you want one that will record while parked or do you just need it for when driving, do you need single channel - front camera only or dual channel - front and rear? warranty would only be affected if the cam caused a fault with a specific part which is highly unlikely.

I just need it when I drive, at the back (if I installed one) I thought i could use the plug at the back but I will think about it. I don't like how the dealerships present these kind of matters. So if I end up getting an auto electrician to install it, the warranty will only be voided for the parts that got malfunctioned not for the whole car? The dealer gave me the impression that I will lose the warranty for the whole car.

:welcumwagon:

Like Craig says, no need to stress. A gentle hand wash with any name brand wash and wax product will not do any harm.

Everyone has a different standard as far as waxing their car goes, but at a minimum an annual application of a name brand Polish/wax should be adequate. Really keen members use a Clay Bar to remove stubborn grit and the like before waxing, but that is optional.

There are some discussions on here about the merits of one brand over another.  :cool:

To be honest initially I thought I can go to a handwash place and tell them to polish and wax, but I just want to see my options. Is it ok to visit these places every 6months?

I would definitely want to buy a kit that I can use so I can clean bugs and bird droppings on the spot. Is this good for these purposes or should I get something else :link: Mothers Clay Bar Kit - 4 Piece - Supercheap Auto

Also when the dealership was advertising the paint protection, and about tree sapping. I don't park under trees often but happens. Is tree sapping that bad? Does the wax protect from it?

Last question for now: I think I want to get the stell plates for the door, how hard is to install them? Do you think they will look nice on the platinum silver?

Thank you very much for your responses
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Clay bar kits are generally used for paint preparation to clean oxidation from the paint work before polishing and then finish with wax to protect polish.
Should be absolutely no need for clay barring a new car though and if you don’t have experience in the process I wouldn’t suggest taking on the task as it’s just as easy to scour the surface.

Don’t bother with dealer advised paint protection, it’s still yearly maintenance inspections and repair, if you were to go that route I’d suggest Opti-Coat ceramic coating which is applied by several professionals around the country for about $900.

Not cheap but Ceramic coating will save you from ever having to polish or wax ever again, just simple washing and towel drying is all that’s required and the paint is protected by a super hard coating with a glass like effect.
Dropping’s and sap should always be removed as soon as possible to prevent acids from staining the surface, a good instant detailer spray and gentle wipe with a microfibre cloth is good for those accidents.

If you need a good recommendation for a dash cam...Street Guardian SGGCX2 :link: SGGCX2 Dash Cam Drive Recorder | Street Guardian is highly recommendable and best suited for the needs described, great quality and support :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ntebis  There is a recent discussion on scuff plates here ... I reckon they would look ok on silver.

:link: Fitted: TORCON One Bend Aluminium Intake SR Turbo

Something like this is what I use to remove things like bird droppings..

:link: Meguiars Waterless Spray Detailer AA15516 | eBay

If the dealer tried to blackmail you into using their services to avoid voiding your warranty that is shocking :fum:

It would be extremely unlikely an auto electrician would cause a warranty issue installing a dashcam, but if they did you would have comeback against them and it would only void the warranty related to the item affected.

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
question for you Dazzler : once the warm weather hits bugs are gonna be smashing into my front, I can clean up the windows fine but what would be recommended for the grille? I've seen suggestions of just taking some mesh and locking them in place with zip ties though....kinda looks cheap  :p
  • i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

question for you Dazzler : once the warm weather hits bugs are gonna be smashing into my front, I can clean up the windows fine but what would be recommended for the grille? I've seen suggestions of just taking some mesh and locking them in place with zip ties though....kinda looks cheap  :p

@jezgadi  :welcumwagon:

I don't think I would be using a mesh cover. Like you say, look a bit scrappy.

I didn't find bugs too much of an issue over summer and I do a lot of driving (30K a year)

If you just get some foaming bug remover (or gel) or you can even use WD40 or degreaser. Just leave it a couple of minutes to soften the bugs then pressure spray the bugs and crap off the grill. If you don't like using  a pressure spray use a Microfiber Car Wash Mitt Cleaning Sponge Brush like this one..

:link: Microfiber Car Wash Mitt Cleaning Sponge Brush Noodle Scratch Free Soft Absorbent for Home Window Polish (Blue): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
@Dazzler thanks for the welcome  :happydance:

I live in the outback and bugs especially over the hotter months are going to be quite a problem, I'll give that WD40 and pressure washer a shot, thanks Dazz!
  • i30 SR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I bought and installed Craig's old dashcam myself. I concede some people won't be confident and will want a professional to do the work, but when you're faced with the option, consult this forum and we'll provide advice from first hand experience. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal