i30 Owners Club

newbie with tyre problems

landnut · 21 · 7314

Offline landnut

• 1st Gear
Hi there I am new to this forum lark but her goes, I had my i30 Febuary 2009, pre registured 58 plate 13 miles on clock. december noticed front wheels spinning more often than not pulling away in damp weather, noticed this 1st in september but no time to check it out due to travel home to work to home to hospital to home most ofthe year due to dads ill healthclocking up 12000 miles. Finnaly got fed up just befor christmas and swopped front and rear wheels round. then noticed that the inside of front tiers worn a lot more than rest of tire, right tire worn more tha left one looks like carcuse starting to show through. tried talking to place I had car from was tolsd lucky to get any where near 1200 on front wheel drive car ???? advised could do tracking check for £38. spoke to Hyundai dealer when booking car for service got same responce 'its expected to get inner tire wear on front wheel drive with power stearing', can do 4 wheel tracking check for £60 + as tracking not coverd by warenty after 3 months?????? sounds rather poor to me as I have had Volvo 740 Volvo V40 and 2 Kia Cerato's, 16 petrol and 1.6 diesel. all with front wheel drive and power stearing, all with no problems like this, did 28000 in 1st Cerato and still plenty tread on them. Has any one else had a simular problem with poor tire wear / tracking ??

Thanks in antisipation................ sorry if I seem to have rambled on.

posted here on advise from shambles on forum else where ... Apart from this problem I am well pleased with my i30 plenty of grunt when needed, suprised a few colegues from work when telling them its a 1.6 diesel....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome from the other site.

Hopefully you'll get some positive feedback.

I would suggest you revist dealer for them to check it out again.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
They are talking rubbish about the mileage. Here is my 2.0 litre C30 not i30 with 21K Miles on it. No uneven wear on them either side. It is actually booked in on Monday for 2 new tyres.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
You have little chance to prove the tracking was right or wrong when you collected it. You have no choice but to get it checked and adjusted now, or the next tyre will just go the same way. All you can do is ring round a few tyre companies and find the cheapest service. In my local town the prices vary between £25 and about £65 depending the direction of the wind. 4 Wheel laser alignment is what you'll want. Make sure the fee they quote includes adjustment, as sometimes that's extra!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the mag wheels on my hatch where fitted at 100kms.after the wheels where fitted i had a wheel alignment and it wasn't even close to being rite.if i hadn't gone to have mag wheels and tyres done i would have done the same thing to my stock tyres as you.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline landnut

• 1st Gear
Hi Myowni30,

car due to return to dealer Tuesday afternoon for 2 tires, Hankook Optimo K415,(£58 each) same as when new, then 4wheel alignment check. will update with outcome when I get back.

1st picture is of the left 2nd of the right   both still on rear.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
That looks like camber or caster angles are all wrong as well. Don't think tracking alone would cause that.

Because the tyres have worn equally both sides I think that it came from the factory with the setup wrong in the first place.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the forum landnut .. Has to be either camber or alignment but as Lorian said a bit hard to prove it was like that from new now.. (they could say you whacked a few kerbs along the way... :rolleyes:

Looks like you'll have to put it down to experience but do shop around for an alignment and make sure you get a printed report to show us  :wink:

For the record I got around 52,000 kms (about 32,300 miles I think) out of the original tyres on my 1.6 diesel (only rotated once at 20,000kms) wore nice and evenly...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check out posting 14 here:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3953.0.html

They had less than 12,000 miles on them and I have had them replaced because of the cracking in the grooves. Advice of the garage.
Still had at least 5mm of tread left on all 4 and I do 90% town driving so wear will usually be heavier than motorway/freeway driving.

UPDATE:

Had an offer from the tyre people but I'm disputing the % refund as I feel it is on the low side based on my calculation of tread left.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
eye, got 16k miles out of mine with same 90% town driving.

Landnut, mine had even wear all the way accross. looks as if there is to much 'toe out' on yours.

Offline andys101

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent, England.
Driving on the road with these tyres will cop you 3 points and a £60 fine.
if VOSA stop you you will get an immediate prohibition and will have to get the car recovered have a MOT and then turn up at the nearest GVTS to got the prohibition removed.

But on the condition side, there is a steering / suspension geometry issue that requires attention.

Personally I think the dealer is trying to fob you off.

Hi Myowni30,

car due to return to dealer Tuesday afternoon for 2 tires, Hankook Optimo K415,(£58 each) same as when new, then 4wheel alignment check. will update with outcome when I get back.

1st picture is of the left 2nd of the right   both still on rear.

Offline landnut

• 1st Gear
Ok folks, back from the garage with new front boots and piece of paper....
  if you can see them the numbers in greeen are ok numbers in red are out.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Someone like surferdude might be able to shed some light on these figures and how bad they are... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Presumably the "initial" readings are when you took her in, and the "final" are after alignment?

If so, that "front toe right" was just so waaaay out.

As above, needs someone with better interpretative skills to comment further.

What did you end up paying?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Me not understand the above data sheet.

I thought the tyre wear occurred on the front of your car, but the data sheet top left says the readings are for the rear, not the front  :exclaim:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Me not understand the above data sheet.

I thought the tyre wear occurred on the front of your car, but the data sheet top left says the readings are for the rear, not the front  :exclaim:

There's two pics, you need to click on the top one.

I wonder if the OP drives over kerbs on the right side frequently?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The factory (un)published specs for the geometry are slightly different to the test sheet:

Front
------
Toe 0mm ± 2mm
Camber -0° 36’ ± 0° 30’
Castor 4.43°±0.5°

Rear
-----
Toe 1mm ± 2mm
Camber -1° 9’ ± 0° 30’

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Just get your self a wheel alignment to ensure your next set wear evenly. I got 28000km out of my factory tyres, n i drive pretty hard almost all the time.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK Landnut, here's my take on the situation.
I note that the tyre pics are taken on the rear of the car but you have actually rotated them from the front which is where the wear occurred.
As I read the wheel alignment figures there are two issues with the front alignment which would have contributed to the wear as pictured. I assume you are in the UK with a RHD vehicle.
1/ LHF Camber - negative
2/ Toe - showing as overall toe out.
Although 1 side is reading toe in and the other, toe out, the overall figure is out. What happens in this case is the front wheels will find the line of least resistance, thereby meaning that the steering will centre itself and whilst moving forward, both wheels will be pointing outwards, thereby causing the tyres to distort outwards as well and putting excess loading on the inside shoulders - which is where your tyre wear has occurred.
I'm a bit surprised you didn't notice the car pulling one way with that negative camber but it's possible the effects of the toe out would negate that somewhat.
What is the wear like on the two tyres which were on the rear? I'd expect a little bit of uneven wear but nowhere near what's happened to the front ones. Maybe a bit of scalloping?
Anyway, as to cause. When cars are transported on trucks they have to be tied down somehow. These days I'd hope that drivers are aware of the need NOT to put any loading on suspension/ steering arms but I wouldn't bet on it. The best trucks have a clamp sytem which goes over the tyres of each wheel but there have been plenty of cases where they are tied or strapped down using suspension members  which can bend (marginally) or distort the alignment adjusters.
A pre-delivery check by the dealer should detect and adjust any issues but I know of cases where the PD w/a check hasn't been done.
The long and short of this is, if you haven't been banging into curbs or potholes or practising for the Rally of GB, the alignment probably was out when you took delivery of the vehicle. But there's no way to prove this now.
Just have to keep a check on your alignment - it should be done every 6 months or so. Apart from excess tyre wear, misalignment can cause premature wear on suspension and steering components.
And learn how to give your tyres a visual check whenever you're washing your car. Look for any light feathering on either the inside or outside shoulders of the tyres. You can't put the rubber backonce it's worn off so early detection is critical.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just get your self a wheel alignment to ensure your next set wear evenly. I got 28000km out of my factory tyres, n i drive pretty hard almost all the time.
Umm? He's done that. Figures are posted above. :rolleyes: :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline landnut

• 1st Gear
thanks for the imput surferdude.... (just confirms what I tried to explaine to the garages Iwent to) the only one that stands out after the front toe setting  is the SAI under secondary angles,  Left 14 31 and right 14 02 both before and after, with the left out side the min 13 09 max 14 09, apparently this can not be altered so presumably came from the factory like that unless it can be knocked out of spec but then again if reading can be altered one way then surely it should be possible to move back ??? makes me wish I still had my old 1968 landrover, all I needed to track the front up was a piece of string long enough to go round all 4 wheels   :lol:  Dealer also said car would have been pulling to the left slightly due to front left and rear right being out, but probably compensated for this without realising. As for checking the tires consider me scolded :-[  just too busy with hospital trips with dad car wash mainly done for £5 at the local hand wash, wheel check was just a quick glance at the outsides and accross the tread  :-[.
  Lorian, as for bouncimg up the curb with the right wheel, a big NO, its very rare if ever that I will park on the wrong side of the road, dont like the missuse or any other passenger getting out in the path of other cars ect. Left side goes very slowly up & down a 2" curb out side home. As for potholes .. forever getting a cusin of the missuse for swerving round them with out saying something 1st 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal