Talking of repairable write off - Yum!

Dazzler · 17 · 4901

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Like you Dazz,  Im really tempted  :happydance:

Problem @beerman  says  writeoff = lemon.  :blubber:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why would they write something like that off with light damage on one side. I love Astons!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Beats me, discussing this with old mate yesterday ( other old fart in post today), he buys motorbikes that are writeoffs, races and sells them. Like me he observes some that slip through that should never be repaired , some leave us perplexed, why write it off?
It seems that if the Insurer thinks its all too hard, rather than too damaged or too costly, then it is ' written off' their books.
Current issue: an Mazda3 MPS that cost $150 in parts and some elbow grease to clean the inside.  :crazy1: Not that one would complain.  :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Beats me, discussing this with old mate yesterday ( other old fart in post today), he buys motorbikes that are writeoffs, races and sells them. Like me he observes some that slip through that should never be repaired , some leave us perplexed, why write it off?
It seems that if the Insurer thinks its all too hard, rather than too damaged or too costly, then it is ' written off' their books.
Current issue: an Mazda3 MPS that cost $150 in parts and some elbow grease to clean the inside.  :crazy1: Not that one would complain.  :whistler:

Yeah true. That MPS.  :mrgreen: :happydance:

I'm guessing this won't go cheap though.  :disapp:

My other mate Garry was telling me about a car that went for 14K + 2K in costs at an auction recently that was probably only worth 15K in pristine condition!  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The Aston is a bit hard to pick in Valuations however a 2007 & 2008 on the market at $100K. Keep that figure in mind while you are bidding Dazz, don't get carried away.  :mrgreen:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
The great "Written Off " irregularities area.
Parts availability  & cost, labour $$$, hidden faults ,etc all make a variable scenario for every item. Some are worth it, some are not, some should never be repaired anyway.
Different laws in each state make it harder to figure out what to do.
Then again even NSW has exceptions to our "everything is a statutory write off and cannot be registered in any form in any state" rule. Over 15 years old doesn't go on WOVR , so it can live again. Hail damage on certain stat vehicles allows them to be rego'd .
2 of my bikes were stat's, over 15, minor tank , pipe and bar damage, alive again. Easy  😊
It's always a lottery,  or a lucky dip , but always interesting havinga look  :winker:

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Aston is a bit hard to pick in Valuations however a 2007 & 2008 on the market at $100K. Keep that figure in mind while you are bidding Dazz, don't get carried away.  :mrgreen:

I was going to see if they would do a straight swap with a slightly bent i30 SR...  :evil:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was going to see if they would do a straight swap with a slightly bent i30 SR...  :evil:

Could work, you would need to deliver it. Given your track record how 'slightly bent' would it be by the time it gets to Perth?

The great "Written Off " irregularities area.   :blubber:
Parts availability  & cost, labour $$$, hidden faults ,etc all make a variable scenario for every item. It's always a lottery,  or a lucky dip , but always interesting having a look  :winker:

All of the above will be in the mind of the assessor . Ive noticed that the 'unknowns' relating to Ultra expensive stuff seem to scare him most of all.

I'm not a gambler in any shape or form, but I too find the 'lucky dip' an interesting weekly excursion.

Cheers both ya.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I’ll go you halves Dazz, be safer kept here with your recent experiences   :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I’ll go you halves Dazz, be safer kept here with your recent experiences   :)

I was going to say I could drive it to my massages (But I reckon the prices might go up)  :crazy1:

Be like driving dad's XK Jaguar again.  :victory:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sweet. I'll follow that auction with some interest... :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I was going to say I could drive it to my massages (But I reckon the prices might go up)  :crazy1:

Be like driving dad's XK Jaguar again.  :victory:
You’ll put to many k’s on it using for massages :lol:

The XK was nice though I think the Aston might drive just a little bit different  :Drive:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

When did I say that? If it is repaired well and disclosed as such (and the price reflects the poor resale such a car would have being on the register) Then all is good.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

When did I say that? If it is repaired well and disclosed as such (and the price reflects the poor resale such a car would have being on the register) Then all is good.

:packoflies:

Three years ago!!! It really hurt. As I repaired them you said :Pout: Plain and simple " they are lemons."  :blubber:

LEAST WE FORGET  :argh:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Three years ago!!! It really hurt. As I repaired them you said :Pout: Plain and simple " they are lemons."  :blubber:

3 years ago, even my wife sets the statute of limitations at 2.....  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

3 years ago, even my wife sets the statute of limitations at 2.....  :whistler:

Ok, would do a bout with you, but NOT the WIFE  :sweating:

:mrgreen: :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal