i30 Owners Club

Word & Excel - Cut & Copy Problem Solved (I Hope)

AlanHo · 7 · 1520

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We live in a retirement housing estate where you can only buy a house if you are older than 58. Children and pets are banned – cats in our garden are rare.

Each owner becomes a shareholder of the Estate Management Company – of which I am director. We all pay a service charge into a reserve fund which meets the cost of the necessary administration, insurance and maintenance of the landscaped communal grounds (including lawns in residents rear gardens), buildings and contents insurance of all communal and residents property, external maintenance of all residents buildings and garden fences, window cleaning etc. Road maintenance and lighting is also covered because the road is private and not adopted by the Council. The present monthly service charge is £135 – the amount being agreed each year at our AGM. Thirty pounds a week to cover all those items I reckon is very reasonable.

When I took over as director I started to attack our annual costs. Apathy and inexperience had caused my predecessors to not question any charges and insurance renewal costs. By changing our insurance providers, gardeners, maintenance procedures etc I have been able to shave £30 off the monthly service charge for all residents. 

Hence, we are self-managed and not the victims of being managed by a third party who is in it to make profit. For me, it is a voluntary labour of love – I just get reimbursed for my expenses which average £200 per year. However – I enjoy the challenge - it keeps me active and alert.

As director, I do a considerable amount of admin work – being the point of contact to deal with residents, third parties, maintenance contracts, legislation and the preparation and issue of monthly accounts summaries and newsletters to all residents. We employ a professional estate management firm to just provide legal assistance, look after our banking and provide the necessary official audited accounts each year for Companies House.

Hence our study is also an office with all the company records etc.

Because I do so much admin work – Microsoft Office is used extensively and following a recent M$ update has developed a really niggling problem.

When I highlight text to right click and cut or copy it – the highlighting disappears and I have to use a keyboard shortcut Ctrl C etc.
I found that if I highlighted the text – then waited about 10 seconds before right clicking on it – more often that not it worked OK. T’was most frustrating.

This morning after a good Googling I found that I was not alone – others had experienced the same problem as far back as 2016. With another cluster of problems in 2017. However, someone in 2017 suggested that in Word a solution was as follows :-.
File
Options
General
Untick “Show mini toolbar on selection”

I did this about an hour ago and have typed several Word documents without a problem. However – the mini toolbar still shows for some obscure reason. It is of no consequence – I’m happy that my cut and paste is working via the mouse again.

Fingers crossed it keeps it up.

I have not used Excel yet and hope I find the same solution applies there.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for the heads up AL,   :goodjob:
Good work on questioning renewals etc. It's  called  the "Lazy  Tax " by some down here.
 We always hunt around for a better deal,  get it in writing then do the rounds again   :happydance:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:goodjob:

All that work you do "for the love of it" and yet you're still planning your own wallpapering :D

Or did I misunderstand that bit about "cut and paste" :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

:goodjob:

All that work you do "for the love of it" and yet you're still planning your own wallpapering :D

Or did I misunderstand that bit about "cut and paste" :snigger:

Silly bugger...but I like you.. :victory:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

If all else fails use Libre Office :)

I have used Libre Office from time to time and usually installed it on desktop computers I built for friends and family - or on laptops they bought without an Office suite.

I don't build them any more - buying components became as expensive - if not more so - than buying a ready made one from a computer store.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You are still sharp Alan, awell done!  :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal