i30 Owners Club

i30 Estate/ Tourer- Roof Bars

Offline rsquire

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Hello

I've recently brought a June 2017 i30 Estate with Roof Rails (older body).

I was expecting the roof bars to attach to the roof rails, but the Thule website only has roof bars fixed roof points.

What have other people used for roof bars?

Thanks
  • i30 Diesel Estate - SE BLUE DRIVE

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I got the OEM ones from the dealer, they screw into the "rails". Very easy to use, bit of a hassle to get on when its - 20c because you need some dexterity to screw the screws in far enough. Taking them off is not a problem with gloves on though.
They are quite high though, think 12cm from roof to top of the bar(might be of consequence if you want to fit a high roof box and still fit under 2m on the ferry. Mine is 198cm with a big calix 600l box on. :)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline rsquire

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Hello

I dont suppose you could share a photo could you?

Thanks

Richard

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@rsquire Here is one from last summer from another thread here. I don't have one handy with just the bars on. I'll take some photos and closeups of the bars and attachment points for you during the week. I won't have them fitted again until end of next week I think.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Hey! @rsquire Sorry for the delay in getting these additional pictures, I kinda ran with them off for longer than expected due to getting sick two weeks. Sorry for the dark pictures, but that's what you get for living this far north in January.

Side view to show the about height

Mounting plate on the roof of the car. I have left these mounted since I bought the rack, was a bit fiddly to get them on first time. Comes with a rubber seal to go into the screw hole to keep water/ice/dirt from getting in. I thought that I would have lost them before the end of summer but they have been in for probably 100000km and never even been the slightest bit close to getting lost.

Screw in mount, its a thumb screw, but at -20 it gets very cold very fast and there is not enough clearance to get at it to screw it in with skii gloves on, it is possible with a pair of pliers and some patience, taking them off is a 5 minute job(all four corners combined that is) even in the winter.

Offline rsquire

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Thats really helpful - thank you.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal