i30 Owners Club

Cannot lock all car doors

Offline Jonnieboy63

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southport

• 2013 diesel 1.6 Blue Drive crdi
Hi I have a problem with locking my car securely. Just started yesterday when I arrived home. Symptoms - Neither key fob will lock or unlock the car when I  want to leave it secure. I can lock the drivers door with the key but the other doors remain open. When I manually lock the other 3 doors (for use in emergency) the central locking intervenes and opens them again. I had to disconnect the battery overnight in the hope it would reset but unfortunately not. Central locking works normally locking when over 10 mph and by cabin switch.

We also have a Kia and over the years have had an intermittent problem with the ignition lock. starting the engine - moving car or  a short drive has fixed this but not on this occasion.

Checked batteries in fobs - seems like the car still thinks it's being used.  1.6 blue drive 5 door hatch 2013

In interested in your thoughts
  • I30 1.6 Diesel hatchback Active

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi I have a problem with locking my car securely. Just started yesterday when I arrived home. Symptoms - Neither key fob will lock or unlock the car when I  want to leave it secure. I can lock the drivers door with the key but the other doors remain open. When I manually lock the other 3 doors (for use in emergency) the central locking intervenes and opens them again. I had to disconnect the battery overnight in the hope it would reset but unfortunately not. Central locking works normally locking when over 10 mph and by cabin switch.

We also have a Kia and over the years have had an intermittent problem with the ignition lock. starting the engine - moving car or  a short drive has fixed this but not on this occasion.

Checked batteries in fobs - seems like the car still thinks it's being used.  1.6 blue drive 5 door hatch 2013

In interested in your thoughts
I wonder if the BCM thinks the ignition key is in the barrell even when it's removed?

Does your car have the auto lock , and  auto unlock feature activated?

SO, what I'm thinking is , assume the key in sensor is always active. This would allow the doors to still auto lock when driving.

In my car when I stop the doors remain locked. On key removal that triggers the auto unlock.

Now if yours did do that but no longer does, then that suggests that is stuck on, it also means if the system thinks the key is in the ignition , it will not allow the doors to lock. they will lock momentarily and then unlock as a safety feature.

I've just tested this theory on my car and with a key in the barrel my spare remote does NOTHING. Remove key and back to normal.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Something like this mounted around the ignition barrel area.

Ignition Key Inter-lock Solenoid
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Jonnieboy63

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southport

• 2013 diesel 1.6 Blue Drive crdi
Thanks very much for your help.

What you describe makes sense to me and I will investigate and see what happens. Yes usually as soon as I remove the key the doors unlock and they don't now so I will locate the solenoid you provided the picture of. I've booked it in to an auto electrician in a few days time but  whatever happens I'll let folks know the solution :goodjob2:

Regards
  • I30 1.6 Diesel hatchback Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal