i30 Owners Club

Ipod/USB stick always plays from beginning.

Zef · 30 · 17508

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,

Haven't been around for a while but I decided to drop in and see if this issue has been solved or if there is a work around.  Problem is that when playing music from the usb dock and the engine is stopped, it will always play from the beginning of the playlist when you start the car again. 

Oh yes, and I've just recalled another frustration.  If I have a ipod plugged into the dock and I turn on the car, the usb will always get played first (although a few seconds after the radio has kicked in).  So, for example, I am driving along enjoying listening to the radio.  I stop briefly for petrol or whatever and obviously turn off the engine.  When I jump back in my shuffle in the usb dock starts to play rather than the radio.  I don't want to have to remove the shuffle.  I don't want the car to default to playing whatever is plugged into the usb dock over whatever was being used last (in my example, the radio). 

Any solutions to these issues?  I assume what I have described is what others experience as well?  Really appreciate any help, suggestions and/or observations.

Cheers :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my radio hasnt done that before.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry Zef.

I'm the same as Steve... Whatever I'm playing when I stop the car is what resumes when I start her up again... Might be worth checking out the thread with what firmware your stereo is running and see if someone with the same firmware as you has the same issue???

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2526.0.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
Hmm, alright, thanks folks.

Just to clarify, which issue were you referring to? 

a) ipod shuffle always starts at the beginning of playlist

or

b) the deck always defaults to what is plugged into the usb even if radio was used last

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hmmmm

Mine always starts on the last function which was in use when you switched off and if on USB or CD always starts where it left off.

I am not sure what you mean by iPod Shuffle always starts at beginning of playlist, Kim has the lapel clip Shuffle and I have an original Shuffle and neither of those are recognised by my i30 :'(, that's why I have mine on a cheapo MP3 player playing WMA files :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
Hmmmm

Mine always starts on the last function which was in use when you switched off and if on USB or CD always starts where it left off.

That's exactly what I want to happen but it currently doesn't.  Always defaults to USB, and always starts at the beginning of the USB playlist.

I am not sure what you mean by iPod Shuffle always starts at beginning of playlist, Kim has the lapel clip Shuffle and I have an original Shuffle and neither of those are recognised by my i30 :'(, that's why I have mine on a cheapo MP3 player playing WMA files :razz:

That's interesting.  I am referring to the original, ie. 1st gen shuffle.  It has a direct USB connection only. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Zef,

I only use a Memory Stick (thumb drive) or MP3 CD (or occassionally the radio) I have a 1st Generation Iphone but from my understanding none of the Apple products work properly through the i30's USB port unless you buy the optional cable which has 2 connectors... I think it is your shuffle confusing the system. If you haven't already, try a Memory Stick...and see what happens..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yup, I have first gen Shuffle with direct USB and my radio just does not see it, I assumed that was because I need to have an iPod with the cable connection, which I tested with my mates Classic which worked fine except the iPod would not charge, which I believe was an issue introduced by Apple with Gen4??
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
my understanding none of the Apple products work properly through the i30's USB port unless you buy the optional cable which has 2 connectors... I think it is your shuffle confusing the system. If you haven't already, try a Memory Stick...and see what happens..

I do have the cable with the 2 connectors but the 1st gen shuffle can't connect with it, being a usb only connection itself, so it gets plugged directly into the usb port of the i30.  

I'll have a play around with another mp3 player I have, as well as a memory stick, and see if it changes things.

EDIT: I'm surprised my original shuffle works but some of yours aren't even recognised.  Although as pointed out, my shuffle may be the cause of my other frustrations with the system.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
My USB thumbdrive will occasionally glitch and go back to file no 1, but it is rare. Maybe its a power glitch?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My mp3 players all revert to the start when you turn the engine off and back on.
UNLESS!! YOu turn the mp3 player off before you turn off the engine.  Which is a pain.
The CD plays on from wherever it was turned  off, even if it's an mp3 cd of my own making. So no problem there.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Hi Zef,

the problem is an incompatability between some usb sticks and the player. I have tried quite a few different sticks in the unit and some exhibit this behavior and some don't. Try using the one that came with the car for a reference.

Tony

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Mine always starts with the USB (at the first song)  if it's in, irrespective of which function was in use when the car was stopped or radio was switched off.  It a bit annoying actually . . .
PS. Aust. 10/2009 build. using Hyundai supplied USB 
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine always starts with the USB (at the first song)  if it's in, irrespective of which function was in use when the car was stopped or radio was switched off.  It a bit annoying actually . . .
PS. Aust. 10/2009 build. using Hyundai supplied USB 

Somethings not right  :cool: (try another usb stick)

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I Had the same problem with a USB drive starting from the start everytime i turned the car off......

I Brought a new USB drive and i dont have that prob anymore

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have had no problem with the resume function with either Lexar or Kingston Memory Sticks between 2GB and 16Gb and I didn't even check whether formated as fat32..

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

Hyundai gave me 1 with the car and thats the 1 that i had the problem with lol

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Thanks IMCRZY, I'll give another USB a go.  (that'll teach me to assume the genuine article would be OK.)
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

No probs..... I was goin nuts because i was sick of hearin the same song everytime i turned on the car lol

Hope it works for ya :D

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
never had this issue until my mecha error

and yep! now the damn aux keeps resetting to the beginning of the usb pen,  :evil:
it as never done this before,, its the same pen drive.
it will remember if you turn car off for about 5 minutes but longer and it just resets. turns off all the stereo leaving the clock on instead. turn it on and its back to the start.

very grumpy about this, :evil:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi snowcherry,

I guess the stereo is resetting itself trying to fix the other problem..Hopefully they can resolve both at the same time...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i do hope so dazz. i'm off to NZ from tuesday so won't get it resolved til the end of the month, maybe even May if they're busy. proably should think of booking the service tomorrow before i go.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Have a good trip...SC  :D

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Used a Lexar USB rather than the Hyundai one supplied and everything works OK.  It retains the position on the USB and the mode it was in when the car/radio is turned off.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's gr8 BC I guess it's bigger than the freebie too.. :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As stated earlier in this thread, my CD player and radio start from where they left off but and mp3 player attached via the USB slot returns to the beginning each time I turn the motor off.
However, I have just been experimenting with a USB memory stick and it works properly. ie Begins wherever it was when you shut the engine down.
I'm pretty sure the owners handbook says to turn an i-pod/mp3 player off BEFORE you turn off the engine and not on until after you start the car. I would assume if you do this, it'll start from where you turned it off but will have to try that out. Bloody pain in the proverbial, though. However, I suspect this is due to the workings of the i-pod, not the car's fault.
Anyway, memory sticks for me from now on.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Memory stick is lower cost thing to be connecting to your car too.

I just use a sync script to ocasionally sync the memory stick up to my mp3 player.

MS synctoy (free) is quite good for doing this if you run windows

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
"the usb will always get played first"

That happened to me with the USB stick given by the dealer with "Hyundai" name. I tried other sticks and it is OK. I meant to take the Hyundai stick into the computer to reformat to see if that fixed the problem, i.e., did the name always give it priority. Then I promptly lost it - still haven't found it! I thought it could have fallen in the space under the handbrake lever. Nope!

Offline LBDuck

• 1st Gear
Hi All, just picked up our new i30 CW SLX today and the restarting from the beginning drove me mad after a couple of car restarts.

5 mintues of experimenting with different sticks I have shows it is memory stick specific.  The one Hyundai gave me doesn't seem to be recognised fast enough by the car.  I get the radio on for less than 1 second and then the USB starts from the beginning again. 

Tried two other drives (a 16 GB and 2 GB - both SanDisk) and these are recognised straight away and they play from where I stopped the car. 

Seems Hyundai tried to get out of it cheaply!

Anyway happy with the car plus it's the new 2011 model - the rims are gun metal grey and look very nice!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome to the club.. LBDuck - We have seen a couple of pix of the new 2011 CW but wouldn't mind a couple more  :wink: (The darker wheels look gr8)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal