i30 Owners Club

i40 Rear pad change - EPB

tw2005 · 6 · 5283

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thought I'd do 4 rotors and a set of rear pads today on the i40 Limo. EPB (electric Parking Brakes) , well,  who would have thought to do a pad swap you'd need divine electronic intervention to get it done.

The EPB uses a motor to drive the caliper piston out to use the pads as the parking brake. I'm assuming it's like a worm drive that adjusts as the piston extends. Of course as the pads wear the piston extends further. These were approaching min thickness. Anyway, the diagnostic  software resets the EPB motor all theway home, that then allows for the piston to be compressed for new thickness pads. Then you run the software again  for new pads to have it recalibrate the EPB.

Simple,  :head_butt: :faint:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
All rather logical. thanks for the insight. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
All rather logical. thanks for the insight. :goodjob:
Yes it is.  :cool:

Found this well presented article .

:link: Replacing pads and discs on an EPB-equipped Hyundai i40 - Professional Motor Mechanic

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's a bit weird that despite being bought up around Garages and always being a DIY person I've never done anything but routine maintenance on my cars. Even when I had well used 2nd hand cars I never tried to change brake pads or do my own servicing. In hindsight it is probably because I don't really like getting my hands dirty. I'm fine working with wood or paint, but not greasy stuff.  :undecided:

This would be way out of my league!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It's a bit weird that despite being bought up around Garages and always being a DIY person I've never done anything but routine maintenance on my cars. Even when I had well used 2nd hand cars I never tried to change brake pads or do my own servicing. In hindsight it is probably because I don't really like getting my hands dirty. I'm fine working with wood or paint, but not greasy stuff.  :undecided:

always seems like fun.  Then I decided to polish the calipers up with CLR  and a wire brush. Paintvthe rotors with high temp bbq paint, oven bake them then refit. 5hrs later  :crazy1: :scared: :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

always seems like fun.  Then I decided to polish the calipers up with CLR  and a wire brush. Paintvthe rotors with high temp bbq paint, oven bake them then refit. 5hrs later  :crazy1: :scared: :faint:

I can imagine apart from the grease getting in everything (with some job) how it could be enjoyable. I love saving money and get great satisfaction in completing a DIY job of any kind (when it goes well)  :cool:

Mind you I tried to swap the hub on my mountain bike to a quick release one and have only got so far.. I'm going to take it to my mate Garry for a look as it is not quite right. I don't want to come a cropper at 40 KPH!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal