AM radio and AST in i30 SX

myar · 25 · 8760

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi guys,

just picked up the i30 SX few weeks ago here in melbourne australia, found that
the AM radio does not have AM1/AM2 (total 12 presets) as stated in the user manual,
mine only has one AM with 6 presets.
What about yours?
Should I go back and demand one?

Is there a way to disable AST ?
Any accidental touching it will reset all the stations already set,
very annoying.

thanks.  

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Chapter 4 page 103 describes two sets of AM presets (MW,LW) and two FM presets.

Here in the UK there is very limited programming on AM, I can only think of two channels that anyone might listen too. AM sounds terrible.

I don't think AST effects your stored programmes unless you select to store any again after using AST, but I don't have the car at hand to test this. See paragraph 7 page 103/126 etc. "If no channel is saved after AST, it will play the previous channel." Chagining the mode and going back again should return your original preset values.

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Without the user manual with me, just went out to my car, did a bit of test on AST.

A light touch of the AST button, it will rescan and replace all programmed
presets with new ones,  to test if it is permanent, I switched to FM and then
came back to AM, yes, the change is permanent.

A touch with longer hold on the AST button, it will do a P-Scan, I don't know
what it is, seemingly it will just rescan the existing stations, so nothing changed.
I will have to check with manual tonight.

If your AST is not working similar to mine, may be I got a different model, probably
an old model....

please confirm if yours is same as mine..
I might have to go back to the dealer. thanks.

pls don't forget also to confirm if you have 6 or 12 presets for AM in your i30 SX.
thanks.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Read that all radio broadcasts will be digital by 2014 and all FM and AM broadcasts will be turned off here in UK.

So.................... if you have a Hy car, or in fact any car within warranty, with a non digital radio will it be replace free of charge under warranty as it will no longer work?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i doubt it.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
AM??

Do they still transmit that????

LOL

Only in the mornings...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Read that all radio broadcasts will be digital by 2014 and all FM and AM broadcasts will be turned off here in UK.

If that happens you have my permission to remind me about this thread and claim a free fiver.

I'll check the AST functionaility next time I get home.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Check this link out for info:
http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/news/display.asp?searchnews=&year=all&id=333

Sorry got date wrong by 1 years :-[

"The vision of the report is “the delivery of a Digital Radio Upgrade programme by the end of 2015”, proposing that all national radio stations are DAB-only from this point.

The Government believe publishing a date of 2015 for switchover will help to accelerate to these actions. They also give a commitment to work with manufacturers to ensure all vehicles sold with a radio are digital-enabled by the end of 2013."

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

AM??

LOL

Only in the mornings...

I never found PM for the afternoon programmes :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Now keep in mind I have a recent radio, and I'm in the UK, but this is the deal with AST on my car:

I have 3 sets of FM presets:
  • FMA
  • FM1
  • FM2

When I press the "FM" button it cycles through the three sets FMA->FM1->FM2->FMA and so on.

On FM1 and FM2 I can save the station by holding a button. If the station had a text name this gets stored in the display above the button,otherwise the frequency. I know some older radios don't display the names.

When I press AST it automatically selects the FMA set, and takes a while to scan and store the automatic stations in those presets. These just replace any stations in the previous AST set.

and 2 sets of AM presets:
  • AMA
  • AM1

Both are Medium Wave. They function in a similar way. Pressing the "AM" button cycles though AMA->AM1->AMA and so on.

My choices get stored in AM1 and AST scan stations get stored in AMA, as above.

Of course this functionality will de dependant on
  • Country/Market (UK in my case)
  • Radio Model - there are several used in the range
  • Age of the Radio/Firmware/EEprom revision
It's always worth asking the dealer to update the firmware on the radio when it's in for service.

My fiver still stands, no way they are going to turn off FM radio, not in the next decade, pipe dream IMHO.

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Links for our Oz members

http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/index.cfm?page_id=1010

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/radio/digital_radio/rollout_of_digital_radio_in_australia

thanks for the links, will check them out later.
digital is just beginning here, as far as i know only one broadcaster is broadcasting in a limited time. noboby seems to want to spend money to buy a new radio for that.
well that's australia.

Of course this functionality will de dependant on
  • Country/Market (UK in my case)
  • Radio Model - there are several used in the range
  • Age of the Radio/Firmware/EEprom revision
It's always worth asking the dealer to update the firmware on the radio when it's in for service.

My fiver still stands, no way they are going to turn off FM radio, not in the next decade, pipe dream IMHO.

Thanks Lorian for your input. that's exactly what i want to know. I am trying to figure out if my car has got the most recent model of radio...

Would you think AST is more an annoyance than any pracitcal use? it might be good on the first day you pick up the car and quickly want to see if the radio is working at all. that is just my opinion.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

AST is not much use if you only drive round you local region, but when you are away from home its a quick and easy way to get a selection of good-strength local stations.

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
AST is not much use if you only drive round you local region, but when you are away from home its a quick and easy way to get a selection of good-strength local stations.

right, you got a point there.

I agree there is some use of AST, just not a dedicated button so easily pressed by mistake. I think it should not change your existing setting without asking/confirming, or may be it should just be an item inside SETUP.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My 09 model has only one AM option set of six stations.
Interestingly, while re-reading the manual I found out what the "Dark" button does. :-[ :P 8)
So I've resolved an issue I have had with the brightness of the sound system screen.

AM??

LOL

Only in the mornings...

I never found PM for the afternoon programmes :lol:
So, are you suffering from PM Stress????
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Doug,

I never took any notice of the dark button until last year when someone said what it was for  :razz:

The brightness doesn't worry me so i don't actually use it... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My 09 model has only one AM option set of six stations.

Thanks for your reply, particularly you're from australia which might be more relevent to my question.
Would you also check if your user manual mentions AM1/AM2 even you don't have them?

Mine is supposed to be 2010 model, just want to know whether it is should come with, one or two sets of AM. (there is another issue with the audio unit which makes me suspect that it might have been swapped.)

I still listen to a lot of AM, because there are a number of news radio which I like to listen to while driving.

The Dark button sits next to AST button. you will find how annoyed you will be when you reach for the Dark button in the dark and end up touching the AST button with all your stations reset.

thanks.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. My manual mentions two AM options but I notice above, someone talking about "AMA" and "AM1". I think it was Lorian. As he is in the UK, I'm assuming these two titles refer to AM radio options in the UK.
Probably worth asking the dealer, though. If for nothing else but to see how he goes about talking his way out of it.
To my kids' disgust, I have a preference for AM, but only because of the type of music they play in SE Qld. Also, occasional make use of 612 ABC for news. Don't like talkback radio, though. More important if I'm driving to Brisbane and I want good traffic reports.
A light touch on "AST" doesn't toss out all my pre-sets though.

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
yes, will mention AM2 to the dealer next time, see how he says.

A light touch on "AST" doesn't toss out all my pre-sets though.

Sorry, my "touch" meant normal press. may be I am bit heavy handed. :)
Will a normal press rescan/reset the stations in your case? just want to know if my unit is working as others...
also, if i press and hold a little bit longer, it will do a P-Scan, seemingly it rescan the existing 6 stations one by one, at the end, nothing changed. Do you get this as well? P-Scan is not mentioned in the manual!

thanks.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The lightest touch (such as an accidental push whilst aiming for the "Dark" button) will run as you say and over-ride all your pre-sets - except if you re-push it before the process is finished, nothing changes.
The "P-Scan" seems to just go through your pre-sets and select the one which has the strongest signal. You achieve this with a "press and hold" type push.
Wonder what would happen if all Oz members sent an e-mail to Hyundai Australia requesting the second 6 AM stations?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Mine is supposed to be 2010 model, just want to know whether it is should come with, one or two sets of AM. (there is another issue with the audio unit which makes me suspect that it might have been swapped.)

You should be able to tell if the radio is new or old using this thread

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2526.0.html

Note the first post shows you how to display the firmware and eeprom versions. Obviously you will be comparing yours then with posts from other .au owners in the thread...

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
except if you re-push it before the process is finished, nothing changes.
good tip, thanks.

Wonder what would happen if all Oz members sent an e-mail to Hyundai Australia requesting the second 6 AM stations?
Too few of us here to make any impact, i think. if they swap for a digital when time comes, that would be really nice, that's what they do to uk and europe, don't they.

You should be able to tell if the radio is new or old using this thread
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2526.0.html

thank for the link, Lorian.

this is mine:
A-200FDR
s/w V.1.02AUS
EEPROM FD20EG4M

i30 SX 2.0L petrol Single CD, Nov09 built.

i think, still will need more input from other oz members to get the whole picture, though.

the s/w version can be updated i believe, so this is not a good indicator of how new or how old the unit is. don't know if they can modify the eeprom serial after ship, if not that might tell.
in theory, they can swap or reburn the eeprom.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I know there are not many posts to confirm, but you eeprom version has only been seen since the end of last year, which tends to confirm your radio is new.

Jason117 for example has the exact same version as you and he has a Sep '09 build car.

Your eeprom version is slightly newer than mine, which tends to imply the differrences in behaviour are related to the country specific customisation.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal