i30 Owners Club

Squealing Noise

Offline PhilB89

• 1st Gear

• Staffordshire
Good Evening i30 Owners,

I'm new to the forum, so hope this is OK to post here. If not, please feel free to move elsewhere  :)

I could do with some mechanical assistance if there is anybody who can assist?

For a while now I have been hearing a 'squealing noise' coming from the front passenger side location.

This noise only happens when the clutch pedal is up. When the clutch is pressed down, the noise goes straight away.

This was just happening when the car was in motion, but most recently has started to happen when stationary too. It might be worth pointing out that it happens when the car is in neutral too.

Has anybody had something similar to this before, or know what may be causing the issue? It's been driving me insane for a while now, and only seems to be getting worse/louder.

Thanks in advance  :goodjob2:
  • 2010 i30 Comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Phil,

Sounds like it is probably emanating from the thrust/throw out bearing (has a couple of names).

http://www.google.com/search?safe=off&ei=105kXeqfEc689QO9vafwCA&q=squeal+from+thrust+bearing&oq=squeal+from+thrust+bearing&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39.23981.23981..27451...0.3..0.180.180.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.NHJYaE1WGx4&ved=0ahUKEwiq55GgvaHkAhVOXn0KHb3eCY4Q4dUDCAo&uact=5

I'm guessing the only fix is probably replacement. Cant imagine the part would be particularly expensive, but labour cost might.

Here's a Nissan Skyline tread about a similar noise.

:link: Noisy Thrust Bearings - General Maintenance - SAU Community
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Our new technical guru is spot on.  :victory:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Cheers Gary,

I had a similar issue around 30 cars ago! It was my 1971 LC Torana 2250 4 on the floor! Now that's a blast from the past!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Cheers Gary,

I had a similar issue around 30 cars ago! It was my 1971 LC Torana 2250 4 on the floor! Now that's a blast from the past!  :crazy1:
:victory:  :goodjob: to both 
Had the gearbox front cover that the  thrust slides along on snap off on Anita's  M20 1900 Opel LH Torana.  :Shocked: made driving it home hard  :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal