i30 Owners Club

Potential problem with the trap [tracking?]

Ogi · 9 · 3093

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
I am not sure but it seems that my car is not going fully streight when i let go the wheel. I did alignment less than a month ago and i didn't pay attention at all on the paper they gave me after it. They labeled only 3 things (which you can see from the pic) but there is something called CAMBER that is off limits.

Can that be the cause of winding of the car?

Here's the alignment report, tell me if you see something wrong with it:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ogi,

We have had a couple of members who have had tyre wear problems due to alignment or camber settings but personally my car has always been excellent in that regard.. Even tyre wear and the car always tracks straight and true (doesn't pull to the right or left) - never had a wheel alignment done (now 2 years old)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
So, could camber be the problem of pulling left or right ?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
IMO that amount of camber wouldn't be causing the car to pull. There's not enough variance between one side and the other.
I seem to remember another thread on here which referred to some adjustment which could be carried out in the steering column(???). Can anyone else throw some light on this.
Also, sometimes if the rear alignment is out it will cause the car to crab a bit requiring some correction with the steering wheel but, again your rear settings aren't badly out.
Finally and before you look any further, how are your tyres wearing? Excees wear on one shoulder or the other on a front tyre can cause it. Easy to check. Change your front wheels from one side to the other and drive the car. Any difference will be immediately obvious. You can do this even if they are "directional". Just return them to the correct side of the car after the test drive.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
I just got back from the service. Trap (is this the right word?) is all fine, alignment is great. They told me that camber is factory FIXED and the reason why it was off on that paper is becouse someone was sitting in the car while doing alignment. A friend who works there and i, we both sat in the car becouse they wanted to show me that camber is good and it was 1 on the left and 1,06 on the right side which is almost perfect and that there is nothing more to do there becouse everything is fine. They also suggested our bad roads which may be and also the wheel which is very senstive, which is also true.

Tyres are all ok! Just 1,5 km i put summer tyres instead of winter ones, the one which was on the back last year are now front and vice versa.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great result

but keep an eye on the wear
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia