i30 Owners Club

Factory sound system and speakers....

Offline Abomination

• 2nd Gear
Hi All.

I can't help but feel that the sound system in our new i30 is...
                                                                  (how can I put this delicately....)
                                                                                            COMPLETE CRAP!?

Does anyone know if it's the speakers alone? Or the system itself?
For example, if I were to simply replace the four speakers with components, would that make all the difference?
If it wasn't too much trouble and wasted space, I'd go the whole "sub and amp" route (for the first time in my life, mind you, at the age of 41!?  :-[ Can anyone say "mid-life crisis?) but I don't want my whole boot to be taken up with a subwoofer. Much easier to switch the four stock speakers.
Any ideas, guys? Has anyone else done the same thing?
And does anyone else think their music is definitely lacking something indefinable, even after juggling through all of the 'options and settings etc'?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Peter

I have an SLX and I would call my stereo "average"

If you do some searching on here you will see what some have done .. The standard speakers are like those in most cars of this class (very basic single cone) If I decided to do an upgrade I would replace them first with some Good Brand Dual or Triple Cone Units and see how much difference that made before adding an external amplifier or losing boot space to a Sub Woofer..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
Must just be your SX setup cos my SLX setup is really great! It's way better than I thought it was going to be. Perhaps they are using better speakers in new models than the older ones. I was actually wondering what they were. Don't spose anyone knows :question:

You could put an amp under the passenger seat and a sub under the drivers if you wanted to go that route. Saves using up the boot :wink: I would also get some components for the front, not just 3 cone speakers.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, it's nothing special, but I highly recommend tuning your system (through Setup-> Audio). I found that once turning down the "Mid", it cleared the signal completely, made it less "muddy".

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i agree with duckman,you MUST set the stereo up because its not much chop straight from the dealers..
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My stock sound is also superb, no complaints. I have a 6-speaker setup and as Ducky said it's important to get the tone balance right for you.

I wouldn't put anything under my seats though, drivers or passengers, as there are air ducts there for the rear.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I also am impressed with the stock sound after a little tuning, but we are getting to the point in the i30's life where us older owners have to accept that they are probably using different components and so our comments for the new owners may not carry as much weight as they once did :)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I also find my 6 speaker setup very good. All seems to depend on what the quality of the recording your listening to.  Some music on the radio is poor, but some is superb, same with mp3's. Most cd seem to play very well with real rich sounds. As others have said you need to play around with the settings  :lol:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
My stock sound is also superb, no complaints. I have a 6-speaker setup and as Ducky said it's important to get the tone balance right for you.

I wouldn't put anything under my seats though, drivers or passengers, as there are air ducts there for the rear.
There would be a way to fit it without obstructing this. Just need to be a little creative :cool:

For settings I have this:

Bass +1
Mid +2
Treble +4
Fader F=R
Balance F=R
P.Bass = Mid
SDVC = On

Btw I have the 6 speaker setup.

Offline rushandy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
I'm also very impressed with the stock set up. I have a 6 speaker UK i30 and think the stereo is great. I don't put the stereo up very loud, but the bass is really quite heavy (if cranked up in the settings) and the trebles are good too.

I'd say my only minor criticism is that it lacks a bit of clarity and depth in the mid range, but I haven't spent a lot of time tweaking to address this. It may be that with a bit of effort I can get it just right, but the quality is damn fine regardless to be honest.

I wonder if here in the UK we have an internal amp fitted. Does anyone know if this is the case or not?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder if here in the UK we have an internal amp fitted. Does anyone know if this is the case or not?

The top of the range SR model in Australia does (married to the 6 x CD changer - which the lesser models like mine don't get)

So I would hazard a guess the higher models in UK probably do too (do you have a 6 CD stacker or just a single?)

mvasseur

I wouldn't put anything under the seats either, as the wiring for the airbags and the occupancy sensors goes through there. You might trigger one huge unwanted BOOM the first time you cranked up the volume  :eek:

Offline Abomination

• 2nd Gear
Good stuff guys.
Well, as I said, I've fiddled with the settings as much as I can, and I'm just not 'happy'.
It's listenable, but not "wow", so I'm putting it down to the stock speakers.
All of you lucky owners who have the six speaker setups may have a nicer quality speaker as standard.
Or it may be the amp that I'm sure the sx doesn't have.
Bottom line, I think I'll swap over the speakers (at least the front ones) with some component (splits) and see what happens. This will also be the quickest and 'cheapest' option. Fingers crossed.
Thank you all for your feedback.
Much appreciated.

Peter

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Peter,

Don't forget to search for the threads on here about changing the speakers they show you how to get the door lining off etc...

The speakers are riveted in apparently so you will need to drill the rivets out first...

This is one thread..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,570.msg4428.html#msg4428

Offline rushandy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

The top of the range SR model in Australia does (married to the 6 x CD changer - which the lesser models like mine don't get)

So I would hazard a guess the higher models in UK probably do too (do you have a 6 CD stacker or just a single?)

Just a single CD system, which is why I wasn't sure about the amp....!

Offline Abomination

• 2nd Gear
Brilliant link, Dazz. Thanks mate.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad disappointed though that the speakers aren't screwed in rather than riveted.
I believe you when you say they can be drilled out, but don't the new screws need a thread to hold?
How do I get around that bit?
Or can I just glue the new speakers on somehow?
None of the following terms really apply to me (handyman, mechanically competent, remotely masculine) so I'm a bit apprehensive with all of this. It's only my desire to save a buck that's encouraging me to even consider doing it myself, but if it starts sliding into the realm of "NOW what the &%$# do I do?", I'll have to hand it over to someone else...

Peter

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

I believe you when you say they can be drilled out, but don't the new screws need a thread to hold?
How do I get around that bit?
Or can I just glue the new speakers on somehow?

If you can drill out the rivets then drilling new holes and putting pop rivets through the holes should be do-able.  Any friends who can help with this stuff ?

The quality isn't as good as I'm used to, but it will do for me. Mainly listen to talk stations anyway.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I have used the type of clips as shown on THIS page to fasten car door speakers (mainly the U NUT type).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have used the type of clips as shown on THIS page to fasten car door speakers (mainly the U NUT type).

That would have been my suggestion too (great link Myowni30) as Diablo says just use a smallish drill bit say 1/8 inch or 3mm to drill out the rivets (if too small go up one size)

IMPORTANT: make sure you get rid of any iron fillings that fall inside the door cavity after you pull the old speakers out and before putting in the new ones (to stop any rust happening) and make sure you take a note of the polarity of the speakers when you disconnect the old ones so can connect the new ones the same.. Glad to be of assistance  :razz:

Offline Abomination

• 2nd Gear
Brilliant, guys.
Now I feel a BIT more confident, armed with this new knowledge and your unwavering faith in me.
That IS unwavering faith I detect, right? Huh?

and thanks for that link, myowni30. Excellent.

Peter

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That IS unwavering faith I detect, right? Huh?

Definitely... :mrgreen: (just glad you are not working on my car...he says to himself.. :wink:)

Offline Abomination

• 2nd Gear
Definitely... :mrgreen: (just glad you are not working on my car...he says to himself.. :wink:)

:D

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
I got a funny story...

I was just driving up the road on my way home anf a guy pulled up next to me at a set of lights and got me to put the window down which also meant I had to turn my music down. He was saying how awesome the sound system is in these cars and just how good they are overall. He said his daughter just bought one recently. Just goes to show that even people driving past know it's good hehe ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

He said his daughter just bought one recently. Just goes to show that even people driving past know it's good hehe ;)

Good one Mutley.. I have had a couple of nice surprises like that in my 2 years + of ownership.. Gives you a real buzz doesn't it  :mrgreen:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
if you do a search in this forum and look at some of my posts you'll see i also mentioned how crap the i30 stereo is.
and i actually do have the 6 speaker amped system. (so na-na boys)
also i use either cd's or preferrably high quality mp3's - usually 256 plus bitrate. i have realised the mp3's actually sound better than the cd's do through the system, who knows why, it just is.

perhaps one day i may update the speakers, but the system is liveable, i can hear the bass vs treble, the speakers don't distort when turned up (i'm guessing due to the amping so no idea about the non amped ones) it just doesn't have that 'thing' to really lift the stereo up.

but i will add something to my initial appraisal of the i30 stereo which i feel is very relevant. i came from my old ford which i had upgraded the system myself years earlier, so in a way i was stepping down. but since having the i30 i have been in a older model Toyota Corolla Seca, a 2006 Holden hatchback (?), and a 2006 Ford Focus and man now those stereos were really really CRAP! coming back to my stereo was pure bliss in comparison. so in hindsight not so much to complain about.  :D
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline njcardave

• 1st Gear
I replaced my factory speakers in my 2009 Touring with Polk dbx series speakers in the front and rear doors. I kept the factory tweeters in the front doors. I also installed an Alpine amp at 50 watts per channel under the drivers seat and tied it into the factory radio. If anyone thinks that the factory sound system is OK, you should listen to mine. Much more detail and you can drive at hi-way speeds with the windows open and still hear the radio.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
you can drive at hi-way speeds with the windows open and still hear the radio.
And so can everyone else in the traffic :question: :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
...you can drive at hi-way speeds with the windows open and still hear the radio.
I can as it is now.  :)

I know what good sound is like and I know that the standard system isn't the very best but for a factory sound system it is the best I've ever heard and so can everyone around me hehe...although my friends saab is pretty good too..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I replaced my factory speakers in my 2009 Touring with Polk dbx series speakers in the front and rear doors. I kept the factory tweeters in the front doors. I also installed an Alpine amp at 50 watts per channel under the drivers seat and tied it into the factory radio. If anyone thinks that the factory sound system is OK, you should listen to mine. Much more detail and you can drive at hi-way speeds with the windows open and still hear the radio.

Welcome to the club Dave... Pity there is no way we car hear the difference (but I am sure with those improvements it would be gr8  :mrgreen:)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal