i30 Owners Club

i40 Headlight Upgrade

ryane · 12 · 9419

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
G'day everyone,

Has been a long (very long time) since I've posted on here after my lovely i30 was written off in an accident.  Still have an i30 but recently we purchase a 2nd Hand, 2014 i40 as our family is growing and needed some more room.

Sadly I did not test drive this at night and have come to experience what many have who own this model, the attorcious headlights. Seems to be a common complaint among the halogen set ups. Tried various top of the range globes, adjust headlights perfectly and still they are rubbish.

I considered upgrading to LEDs and even bought a set  but have come across a problem (as have any).

Rather then the light bulb having lugs on it to help lock it in place, the plastic wiring unit that the bulb plugs into has it. Hard to explain but I've attached a video below showing the issue.

:link: Hyundai i40 LED Headlight Conversion Fail - YouTube

Wondering if anyone has found a work around for this or has any ideas. The way the've set it up makes it super easy to change bulbs but not good for HID or LED conversions.

Thanks for any advice

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I used plastic adaptors on my i30 like these :link: LED Headlight & Xenon H7 HID bulb holders adapters For Hyundai i30 & i40 | eBay

Going by the video you have the same 3 tab plug base so the above adaptors should fit (check first) the H7 ring on the LED's also need to be removable for the adaptor ring to go on first.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks Craig,

Might order a set and see. Only 15 bucks so can't hurt.
Mind if I ask how the leds went in the i30? Did you go high and lows? Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ryane

Why don't you add an LED light bar mounted on a nudge bar.. Both can be purchased reasonably cheaply these days.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
@Dazzler,

Have already done that, got a great one from STEDI but only good when no one is around to have it on.

Trying to get something half decent that I can have on all the time. My night vision is not as good as it used to be.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Dazzler,

Have already done that, got a great one from STEDI but only good when no one is around to have it on.

Trying to get something half decent that I can have on all the time. My night vision is not as good as it used to be.

No I haven't but think @The Gonz and a couple of others have.

I upgraded my globes in my 2017 SR (since traded) and that was enough. The lights have been a week point on the i30 (most versions/series) Interesting and not surprising that the i40 is the same.

Must say I'm enjoying the Factory LED's in my new Hybrid Camry. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
My old i30 in my display pick was the same. Upgraded to HIDs and angled them down a bit and were great!

Seen some great results with leds so fingers crossed these adapters work.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Craig,

Might order a set and see. Only 15 bucks so can't hurt.
Mind if I ask how the leds went in the i30? Did you go high and lows? Cheers
I did both high and low and they work great in mine, I used JW Speaker bulbs :link: JW Speaker H7 LED 6000K DIRECT FIT LED GLOBE - BUILT IN CANBUS pair 12-24V | eBay

Some of the progress was mentioned in a PD i30 topic - Reply 219 :link: i30 PD active LED headlights
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:43:44 by CraigB »

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks heaps Craig!!!!

I've been looking around and found something hopeful in Sydney. Lex from pro vision has a LED h7 that is true plug and play. Bulb only. Also has some kits for i40 specifically

:link: Quick-Fit LED Headlight Globes for Cars, Trucks, and Motorcycles | Talk to the Professionals in Australia with over 20yrs Industry Experience Today.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :goodjob2: keep us informed once fitted and some photos  :)

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Update

So the lights arrived yesterday looking quite good on first inspection. Attempted installation last night but sadly was not able to complete thanks to a lack of room to get my hands in.

I can get the unit in And thanks to its built in adapter locks in (at least on driver side) bu no where near enough room to complete.

Couldn't even get it in on passengers side.

Looks like I'll be removing the entire light units today. Crossing my fingers bumper doesn't need to come off.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 20:04:54 by ryane »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal