i30 Owners Club

ACT Hail storm damage.

mickd · 11 · 2030

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Ducked over Canberra today, drove past an area in Fyshwick.
The amount of hail damaged cars is utterly amazing. Would seem that almost every spare lot is full of cars. Heaps with smashed windows allowing water in, many with very minor panel damage. Going to be a lot at the auctions and given QLD's recent hail sale, I think they will be rather cheap.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought i hear a massive damage figure including buildings etc.. of 320 million!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
$320 mill, wouldn't doubt it at all.  Throw the fire damage,,including all of the services & infrastructure damage, not just nsw but all the states and not much of a dividend from the insurance co's this year.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

$320 mill, wouldn't doubt it at all.  Throw the fire damage,,including all of the services & infrastructure damage, not just nsw but all the states and not much of a dividend from the insurance co's this year.

Yes Mick, scary stuff. Ironically there is an upside a bit like after a war. It will generate plenty of work and retail demand to repair and replace the damaged cars, homes and infrastructure.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
11,200 hail claims in Canberra alone. One guy was doing a dummy spit because he has to wait until April before his Alfa even gets assessed and probably written off.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

11,200 hail claims in Canberra alone. One guy was doing a dummy spit because he has to wait until April before his Alfa even gets assessed and probably written off.
  Many of those claims could be for multiple vehicles too.. Car yards and Businesses with a fleet of vehicles.  :crazy2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Kate was saying yesterday that  you can't get a windscreen or a hire car  anywhere and lots are driving around with smashed front screens  :crazy1:
How can they see clearly?  She knows a few people that have been told that the wait for assignment will be a couple of months as its still driveable.
Her uFD Ruby missed all the drama , only got rained on.
A few car yards got hit, quite a few spankers of various makes.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I thought i hear a massive damage figure including buildings etc.. of 320 million!

A bit late here , but a few weeks back, I did a MC ride from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, one chap lives in Canberra & has a house near Batemans Bay . he was telling me the Harley dealer had a large number of new Harleys damaged in the Hail storm, he also said the storm was mostly in the southern suburbs. since then they have had Fires the first since 2003.
talk about weather, I almost melted on Saturday, I went up past Sydney to a friends house warming ( was hot & humid!! ) I get home and they tell me it was as bad here.
I look forward to winter!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Kate was saying yesterday that  you can't get a windscreen or a hire car  anywhere and lots are driving around with smashed front screens  :crazy1:
How can they see clearly?  She knows a few people that have been told that the wait for assignment will be a couple of months as its still driveable.

Mick as you know we share road space with ACT rego car's, a lot drive like they are blind! would be interesting to see what car insurance like there compared to NSW. but I do find the people in Canberra really nice & in general much nicer than people in Sydney.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Mick as you know we share road space with ACT rego car's, a lot drive like they are blind! would be interesting to see what car insurance like there compared to NSW. but I do find the people in Canberra really nice & in general much nicer than people in Sydney.
@Lakes
Hi mate ,
 ACT rego and CTP are based upon the weight of the vehicle only.
It's.not like NSW where the CTP factors in driving history and age.
With car insutance it was cheaper just by living in the ACT too.
Getting our Kate's car onto ACT saved us a truckload when she first first moved there and she was 18 nearly 19.
She still says ACT people can't drive for  💩, but reckons Victorians are worse.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

@Lakes
Hi mate ,
 ACT rego and CTP are based upon the weight of the vehicle only.
It's.not like NSW where the CTP factors in driving history and age.
With car insutance it was cheaper just by living in the ACT too.
Getting our Kate's car onto ACT saved us a truckload when she first first moved there and she was 18 nearly 19.
She still says ACT people can't drive for  💩, but reckons Victorians are worse.

Hey thanks Mick, yeh I agree about Victorian drivers, at least the ones I saw when living in Narooma. At start I thought we must have different traffic rules to Sydney.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal