i30 Owners Club

turbo timers and it affecting the immobiliser

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
anyways i have a 1.6 CRDi and i bought a turbo timer... obviously i want to install it BUT i want to hear from someone with one installed has it affected the way you lock the car and immobilisation

in other words when you remove the key from the ignition, can you still lock the car or does it just die in the arse and the turbo timer keeps working (with engine off from immobiliser) thus the car thinks that the key is in and prevents you from locking it?

???

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i think dad and i figured it out... the remote locking works on a seperate circut... the immobiliser only reads the key when you insert it, after that its 'stored in a memory' and only need to be read again on start up... so in theory i can put the turbo timer on and bingo help make the turbo last

i found a good spot for it, tucked away in the fuse box area, next to the fuse block on the cream plastic. its one of those pencil type ones that cost $50ish dollars

i mean its not like you play with it every day and once its set, well its set, so i reckon putting it there is a good idea its out of the way there are no holes/things being stuck all over the dash like a "rice boy car" and if need be i can turn it off/get to it with realtive ease, unlike hiding it under the dash like i was going to do

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
a mate of mine has a turbo timer on a BA xr6 and it cant be locked until the engine cuts out from the timer.if you lock it whilst its running on the timer it just stops   :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol thats bad luck aye, i was discussing with my old man about them and we came to the conclusion that they put turbo timers on land crusiers, hiluxes, patrols and navaras and it doesnt seem to affect them...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its possable they designed the car to accept a timer.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

lindlake
hi i have a turbo timer on my 05 hilux i can leave the car to idle down with the doors locked i got the timer from super cheap for $50

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
oh well i guess we will see in the morning how it goes ill post progress and possily pics if i remember to take photos of what to do! hopefully all goes well and it works other wise it was a waste of money...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the turbo timer and boost gauge are installed!

the boost gauge was an epic success lol works a dream with a few modifications!

to install it i drilled the a piller plastic mould mounted it there (yer yer i know hoon spec) routed the wiring down by the fuse block... hose through the firewall through a small rectangle grommet by the right hand strut tower. then the fun began, i had to find a 1/8 bspt threaded fitting to a 1/4 nipple and then drill and tap the intercooler to fit my little fitting and have a place to measure preassure from.

the turbo timer works BUT you cant lock the car while its working... it doesnt worry me as i park it in a secure compound at work and im in no rush when i get home... and if i go out the key still manually locks it so it can be locked

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
the turbo timer and boost gauge are installed!

Hope you took a few "how I did it" pics :eek:

Na, thought not :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
haha i can pull it apart and take some pics of it now its been installed... its really not hard

all you need to get the dash apart is a phillips screw driver... then a spanner and the same screw driver, some pliers and the intercooler is out, a 10mm socket to remove the engine cover a hole punch for the grommet some zip ties to secure the rubber hose, a center punch (to help start the drill) a 8mm drill a 1/8 bspt tap and the knowledge on how to supply power to the boost gauge BAM done... its actually a nice easy car to work on i will give it that there is lots of room under the dash!

i do feel a bit silly sending the car to an auto electrician seeing as i have installed heaps of cd players... wired up a different engine to my old skyline, hotted it up a bit, fitted a turbo timer to a friends skyline and millions of other car electrical jobs BUT ive had wiring diagrams when ive done them thats the diffference... and the cars werent new LOL

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal