Battle Damage

AlanHo · 10 · 1543

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Yesterday afternoon while working on the shed I left a battery drill and a battery screwdriver on the top platform of my stepladder whilst I descended to refill my pocket with a few more screws.

The screws were in a box on the shed floor and whilst I was getting the screws out of the box I must have inadvertently nudged the step ladder causing he battery screwdriver to fall off, obey the law of gravity and make a crash landing on the back of my left hand.

I said “ouch” – or something like that. Then got back on the job.

Late evening swelling of my hand was evident

This morning I awoke to a very swollen hand and bruising extending the full width of my hand from wrist to knuckles.

This photo give some idea – Libby took the photo this evening by which time the swelling was starting to reduce but the bruise becoming darker. It looks worse in real life than on the photo – and I’m not kidding. Fortunately I am not in real pain – just some discomfort .

I could do with repeating the activity on my right hand – the swelling pulls the wrinkles out of your skin.

The irony of this is that the battery screwdriver is a De-Walt impact screwdriver.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ouch, hopefully nothing broken. You've got my permission to rest for a few days.  :victory: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Plenty of massage on that ring finger, ring looks really snug.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Libby got me to apply an ice pack the evening it happened - but my hand got very cold and I had to wear a thick glove to do it.... :gotcha:
It has not stopped me from continuing to work on the shed - but the rain did this morning.

The swelling has gone down a touch overnight - but the skin over the back of the hand remains too tight for me to make a full fist - hence I can't use my left jab or hook - which could prove to be the real handicap... :crazy3:

I decided to remove my ring this morning. It was an adventure.

I lost my wedding ring a couple of years ago and wasn’t going to replace it – but spend the insurance money on something more useful.  (Like a De Walt impact driver  :rofl:)

However – management had other ideas so we trudged off to the Jewellery Quarter and got a replacement sized more snugly than the previous one.  It was made to order and took 2 weeks.

It has taken 45 minutes to get the bloody thing off.

1 Lubricate the finger - - Nah

2. Cold water soak – Nah

3. 1 and 2 in reverse order… Nah

4. Ice cube the finger – but not the ring plus 1….10 minutes of painful nearly

5. I then had a memory flash and recalled a trick my mother was shown once upon a time when in hospital when she was unable to remove her wedding ring. It had never been off her finger since they got married. .  Starting half and inch above the knuckle tightly wrap the finger in strong cotton and wrap it round and round compressing the flesh as it travelled down across the knuckle and to the ring –– feed the free end under the ring then unwrap the cotton loops at the same time encouraging the ring to slide forward. The ring then slid across the knuckle very easily.  Thanks mother!

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well done in getting the ring off.
When I started my elect apprenticeship, BHP's Safety program was to show all the gory pictures of injuries to people. 
After seeing a finger & ring at the top of a fence with the tendon hanging down, burns to  the bone on ring finger where ring shorted out a truck starter motor and to a hand when it shorted 415v 50 amp fuses,
ring caught on object in lathe and degloved the finger, 
I've never worn any ring except when going out,  but then it annoyed me & I would take it off.  We gave up on rings,  I  think wedding ring could be in the wardrobe, or did we sell it ?  :undecided:

Same as using gloves when using a drill   :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was trying to remember that cotton trick as I read down your story.

I recalled a slightly different method but similar...  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Think you may have to go and get an xray to check the small bones in the back of your hand.

If no better on monday, ring your GP and ask for a phone referral to xray dept.
(Brother had one 3 weeks ago for similar).

This will save you visiting GP and just go straight to xray, do you have stand alone xray departments so missing A&E/corona areas, who will have electronic xray request.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

My hand is considerably improved after 3 days.  Still a little uncomfortable and bruised - but most of the swelling has gone down.
thing this morning but I was working again today - this time making Libby a raised herb planter box and a couple of planter boxes for the garden arch I made a few weeks ago. One is for a pink climbing rose and the other for a clematis we brought from the previous house and is struggling in a small plant pot.

This is a merged image of two photos I took of each of my hands a few minutes ago. 

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here I was thinking you must've used your teeth to take the pic  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The irony of this is that the battery screwdriver is a De-Walt impact screwdriver.
:rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal