My Latest DIY Project

AlanHo · 11 · 1869

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A few weeks ago I built a garden arch for Libby and made it rather unique by fitting into it two stained glass windows salvaged from the original conservatory we had replaced by a larger one with a self cleaning glass roof.

Last week, – at her request – I made some planters for the base of the arch for climbing roses and clematis and a tiered platform for her “Elizabeth” statue and plant pots. I used standard decking boards to give it some character

A few days ago Libby started browsing the web looking for a large pot or planter for the front of the house. It had to be blue and in some way look unusual, and not just a run of the mill garden centre plain pot.

She failed to find one with the required sex appeal for sale - but came across a photo taken in a nice garden with several planters in view – one of which she liked and showed me. She didn’t actually ask me to make one – but husbands with a smattering of grey matter know what that “ suggestive” look really implies.

Meanwhile, on my planet, I had been wondering what to do with the numerous decking offcuts from the arch job and the decking I had laid in the enclosed bin store I built at the front side of the house.

The Council tip is shut so that is not an option, but it occurred to me that I could kill two birds with one stone and make a distinctive planter similar to the picture Libby admired the other day.

So I did, and here is the result. I have screwed it to the house wall to deter some low life walking down the street from making off with it.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
A little trick Alan, which you may already be aware of, is to paint certain areas of the 'Elizabeth' with yogurt.  The painted area will very quickly grow moss et al thereby giving it an aged look.  :goodjob: :goodjob:

I am sure there will be some interesting ideas as to which areas to paint with yogurt  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is there no end to your talent :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Is there no end to your talent :eek:

It's called a knob....... :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You are an enterprising chap!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Good work Al  :goodjob:
Self cleaning roof - do tell .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

paint certain areas of 'Elizabeth' with yogurt.  The painted area will very quickly grow moss et al thereby giving it an aged look.  :goodjob: :goodjob:

I am sure there will be some interesting ideas as to which areas to paint with yogurt  :rofl: :rofl:

@asathorny : Please clarify whether you are referring to my wife Libby (whose first name is actually Elizabeth) - or the statue.

If my wife - I will need assistance restraining her while I rub her with yoghurt........... :rofl: :rofl:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Good work Al  :goodjob:
Self cleaning roof - do tell .

Pilkingtons manufacture glass with a special coating that makes the surface of the glass repel the bond with dirt under the action of UV light which is then washed away by rain.

The dirt will stay on the glass until it rains - hence the product is not viable in dry climates

I was cynical when I first read about it a few years ago but took the costly plunge when we installed a conservatory on our previous house 6 years ago. It really does work and the only time I had to wash the roof was when we had almost 2 months without rain.

The new conservatory is not looking pristine at present - we have pigeon bombers and it has not rained for almost 5 weeks - almost unheard of for April in England.  Rain is expected this week - so the roof will get a good clean.

:link: Self-cleaning Glass

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
paint certain areas of 'Elizabeth' with yogurt.  The painted area will very quickly grow moss et al thereby giving it an aged look.  :goodjob: :goodjob:

@asathorny : Please clarify whether you are referring to my wife Libby (whose first name is actually Elizabeth) - or the statue.

If my wife - I will need assistance restraining her while I rub her with yoghurt........... :rofl: :rofl:

You must choose Alan, I would n ot dare too  :crazy1:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@AlanHo …. do Pilkingtons do self cleaning windscreens for cars?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

@AlanHo …. do Pilkingtons do self cleaning windscreens for cars?

I have no idea - but doubt it would work anyway.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal