i30 Owners Club

Remote central locking not working

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I'd try a new battery on the remote if it happens again.

Checked the battery and it seems okay.

Or take your spare key fob as well next time you go near that store :idea: (might isolate whether it is interference or a problem with the fob)

I did have a non-remote key that I purchased and had programmed for my last i30. But have not got round to getting one for this one. May take the other remote key with me for a few weeks just in case.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
If the remote's led strongly lights up, then probably there is no problem with the baterry.
Potentially the same issue may appear to all i30s produced 'till 31.12.2009
Weather or not, i suggest that you take a 10 min job, replacing this small part under guarantee.
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
If the remote's led strongly lights up, then probably there is no problem with the baterry.
Weather or not, i suggest that you take a 10 min job, replacing this small part under guarantee.

But this is a MY2010 car and built since that date. Built Feb 2010 from dates on a few things in the engine bay.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

But this is a MY2010 car and built since that date. Built Feb 2010 from dates on a few things in the engine bay.

:-[ sorry, my mistake...
...Locked OK then went into store, only in there about 5 mins, returned to the car and it did not unlock with the remote first time...
... if it was the same issue, then it wouldn't lock at the first time.
A random incident then?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
If it was the same issue, then it wouldn't lock at the first time.
A random incident then?

No problems since. Hope it was just a one off  :)

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Have you tried the spare remote?

Shock horror. MY remote 'failed' to function (21 Nov.2010). The spare one also 'failed' at the same time. I had to lock/unlock the car with the key. I went for a very short drive to operate the car door locks (HALO) and returned. Doors auto unlocked as normal. Exited and the remote control worked.

I returned the i30 (new in March 2010) to Motors (motors.com.au) last month (Nov.) where the techs said they cleaned out swarf from the ignition key lock as I understand it.

The once off fault (not being able to lock the car with either remote) has not re-appeared. I understand the car techs carried out the work as per the TSB on the problem.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

I returned the i30 (new in March 2010) to Motors (motors.com.au) last month (Nov.) where the techs said they cleaned out swarf from the ignition key lock as I understand it.

The once off fault (not being able to lock the car with either remote) has not re-appeared. I understand the car techs carried out the work as per the TSB on the problem.

i learnt a new word today!  :)

good news though
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Pip

i learnt a new word today!  :)

good news though

I love it when someone learns something new that is related to the old world (which is then really something old not new :D) instead of something like a new phone app. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I'm not against the new world but as long as we haven't invented matter transfer there will be a need for physical machinery large enough to carry people and other stuff bigger than electrons and photons. So while we need to drill and mill metal there will be swarf.

Long live swarf. :goodjob:

Beam me up Scotty!

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Long live swarf. [/quote]

Well...I'll be swarfed :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
Mind you, I'm not against the new world but as long as we haven't invented matter transfer there will be a need for physical machinery large enough to carry people and other stuff bigger than electrons and photons. So while we need to drill and mill metal there will be swarf.

Long live swarf. :goodjob:

Beam me up Scotty!

hehe
yes i do enjoy learning older words myself, which is why i mentioned it. and i can't stand seeing the Y generation completely butcher the english language  :'(
but i'm still looking forward to a real live Scotty by the same token
 :D
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Hi guys, old Thread but now my remote has failed, seems permanent.

Worked this morning but not now, tried several times (upward of 10 times lock / unlock) The key works fine.

The L.E.D. on the fob flashes twice in quick succession on every attempt but the car doesn't respond at all.

Also noticed that since this event the sidelights do not self extinguish when I open the door to get out where they always did before... should I try silicon spray in the ignition lock & change tha batteries or is the 2 L.E.D. flashes "normal" I didnt notice before.....  ???
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It's almost certainly the sticky ignition switch issue.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Cheers Lorian, I'll try it when the rain stops...

Another observation is that the internal door lock / unlock does nothing either, par for the ignition lock lube course?

I cant find which fuse the Remote Central Locking is on either... somewhat frustrating lol!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Go back to dealers and get them to check out the system
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I didn't check (tired!) but I think the remote locking is handled by the BCM fuse, one of the two in the little yellow handle. if it blows the inside lights wont work either.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Thanks to all involved in this Thread...

The silicon spray worked, I'll advise my dealer when I have it serviced...

Quality... Cheers all!  :goodjob:

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
As has been discussed earlier in this thread the TSB states that only Czech cars are affected by the defective ignition key sense switch (the switch is faulty due to the internal spring being too weak and so not closing the contact).

However we have seen a fair few Korean built cars with the same central locking problem. When we checked the part numbers between KMH and TMA builds they are the same.  when removed the spring is indeed weak. So these have been replaced with the much stiffer modified item, job done.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Funky appreciate your inside knowledge  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Agreed Funky, mine is Korean built.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal