i30 Owners Club

Remote central locking not working

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Hi guys, I have noticed that lately the remote key is not always locking the car, in fact twice so far the key will not lock or unlock the car remotely (also no lights flash) the problem seems to be intermittent but I am taking the car to the garage for servicing on friday, will this be covered by the warranty also any ideas of what the problem could be? thanks :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is it always in the same place (eg, home) when it fails to lock/unlock? Are you close to a mobile phone mast?

If there's a problem with the system then I'm sure it will be covered under guarantee. Dunno how easy the battery is to check/replace but that'll be the first thing your dealer might suggest
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Have you tried the spare remote?

Shock horror. MY remote 'failed' to function (21 Nov.2010). The spare one also 'failed' at the same time. I had to lock/unlock the car with the key. I went for a very short drive to operate the car door locks (HALO) and returned. Doors auto unlocked as normal. Exited and the remote control worked.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Maybe a bit of moisture or dirt has got into the remote somehow. Normally the remote has a very long (amazing) range.. mine still has after > 2 years...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Hi Thanks for the replies, it does seem to be at home however I have not had any problems there for the last year with locking, I have a spare which I tried at the time which also did not respond which makes me think its not the battery. thanks guys

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Transponder may need to be reprogrammed
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Hi seems to be ok again, bet it starts again after its out the garage  :mad:

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.  It has happened twice in the four weeks I have had the car (second time today).  it's maybe a coincidence but on both occasions we had warm weather.  I was able to lock and unlock the car manually and it was ok again after I had driven a distance and went to lock it again.

Tried the spare and had no joy so I don't think its the fob battery.

Cheers

Billy

Offline jeffsm7

• 1st Gear
Hi.
I too have the same problem.
Hyundai know of the problem and are looking into it.
I have found that by reinserting the ignition key and either restarting the engine or just turning the key to the 'run' position will often cure the problem.
I suspect there is a problem with the relay/ door solenoids (or circuit around them) associated with the central locking/unlocking. Upon removing the key from the ignition lock, the doors unlock. I wonder if this 'unlocking' should reset the remote system in some way.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just a thought but......................

Do any of the folks who have these problems have the HALO system activated :question: :question:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline andrew

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
I had the same problem. I have sent it to the dealer and they had experiences with this problem. It is solved by lubricating the keyhole! Something just didn't fall in the right place when the key is pulled out. After the lubrication, it works perfectly!

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Same problem here. Happen occasionally since June. Usually after a ride in very warm days (>35oC) as Twempie noticed.
I also had the feeling that something wasn't "falling" in the right place when the key was pulled out, causing the doords to remain locked, so i had to do what Jeffsm7 wrote, 3 posts above.
But last week, the car was parked under direct sun at 37oC. I unlocked it using the remote, which worked ok. I stepped into the car and waited for half a minute without closing the door or insert the key. Suddenly... the car locked itself while the door was still open. An electrical issue maybe(?)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm not having any trouble at all now :wink: :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not having any trouble at all now :wink: :lol:
:lol: :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

This might be covered by a TSB (alledgedly  :wink: ). Lubricating the lignition lock is a temporary fix, but I believe it would be better if there was a part available with a stronger spring.

If there was such a TSB I'd guess it woud be called HFE10-92-C140-FD  and the part number would be 93170-2L000FFF

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... I believe it would be better if there was a part available with a stronger spring.

If there was such a TSB I'd guess it woud be called HFE10-92-C140-FD  and the part number would be 93170-2L000FFF

Splendid guessing, my fine Jedi friend ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Splendid guessing, my fine Jedi friend ;)

These are not the droids you are looking for  :mrgreen:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

:D
Thanks my friends. May the force be with you

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

As soon as i arrived at the dealer's garage for the annual service, i realized that the central locking was not working. YUPIIII! It was a bit of jam!
The chief mechanic said that this is a known issue and that he would fix it with some silicone spray! :lol:
Finally, he admitted that this would be a temporary fix and suggested that i should replace the locks all-over the car.  I wonder... why not replace the whole car instead?
Anyway, i informed him about the TSB and now i'm waiting for a call...

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Finally, after 2+ months, my dealer was officially informed by "mother" Hyundai for the locking problem and yes, the fixing proccedure is according to the TSB that Lorian described above. They booked me in for next Tuesday.
I'll keep you informed.

PS: Locking problem may apply to i30s produced by HMMC (Czech factory) from start of production to December 31st, 2009.

Offline duke

• 2nd Gear
No problems so far but on the same topic ( ie remote) Has anybody opened their car by placeing remote in front of phone and sending signal to a cell phone aimed at car ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No problems so far but on the same topic ( ie remote) Has anybody opened their car by placeing remote in front of phone and sending signal to a cell phone aimed at car ?
Has been mentioned on here before but does it work???

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It would only stand a chance of working if the remote control worked on audible frequencies, whereas in reality its far from it.

i30's don't need remote repeaters though, my remote works from 'miles' away from the car, and that's without the Jermey Clarkson head-amplifer technique  :eek:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
i30's don't need remote repeaters though, my remote works from 'miles' away from the car, and that's without the Jermey Clarkson head-amplifer technique  :eek:

:lol: :lol:

This is so true, you can open the i30 from so far away that by the time you get to it, the doors have relocked themselves :eek: :lol: :lol: :cool:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Update for the "door locking inoperative intermittently":
Last Tuesday my dealer replaced the small part called "Switch Assy-Door Warning", and (cross fingers) everything seems ok!
Before being officially informed by Hyundai, they used to replace the full set of locks :eek:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
My car failed to unlock today after a short journey. Locked OK then went into store, only in there about 5 mins, returned to the car and it did not unlock with the remote first time. Pressed unlock another 2 times(noticed that the led on the remote was working), no response, pressed lock one time, no response, pressed unlock again and it unlocked. Now I think about this, I have had that same problem with my Volvo C30 at the same location, strange. I use this store at least 3 times a week and this is the first time I have had the problem with the i30. Don't think outside temp is to blame (1C) today, as others have said it was quite hot when they had the problem. Wonder if there is some radio interference at the location sometimes.

Tried locking and unlocking car several times (over a 45 min period) since I got home and all seems okay now.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'd try a new battery on the remote if it happens again.

Sent via swype & tapatalk on Android

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd try a new battery on the remote if it happens again.

Or take your spare key fob as well next time you go near that store :idea: (might isolate whether it is interference or a problem with the fob)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal