My Windows Phobia.

AlanHo · 15 · 2227

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a phobia about windows - not Microsoft Windows - but house windows and car windows - especially the windscreen.

Over the years I have spent a lot of money on window cleaning products - the single most expensive being a Karcher Window Vac. I have used real and artiificial leathers, de-ionised water, microfibre cloths, glass cloths, kitchen towels, newspaper, Windowlene, Windex, Mr Muscle, Flash, Sparkle - you name it - bin there dunnit, but none have consistently avoided leaving streaks - or even worse a haze paricularly when the sun is on the window..

However - this story has a happy ending. I spotted some reports on a motoring forum about an American product named "Invisible Glass" and being at best gullible and at worst a hopeless sucker I decided to try it out. It cost me £7.99 from Amazon Prime.

This morning I cleaned the car windows using "Invisible Glass" - spraying it on, wiping it off with a clean microfibre cloth and buffing with a page of crumpled Daily Mail. It was magic - even with full rising sun on the screen there was not a streak to be seen.  So I decided to clean the windows in the conservatory which are quite large and very prone to show streaks in sunlight. Same story - breathless from the exertion I checked them from all angles and despite the sun shining directly on some and at an angle on others - again no streaks. 

An hour later, Libby appeared on the scene oblivious to my latest attemp at cleaning windows and carrying her bowl of breakfast cereal, She plonked herself down on the conservatory sofa to survey her garden. She commented - the windows look really clean - have you done something?.

That confirmed it for me - I really was not seeing things clearly - because the things (streaks) were not there.

Phobia over at last.

Karcher Window Vac for sale.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 00:14:37 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well at least your way forward is clear.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@AlanHo

Our 5 front windows, app 8.5m long in total, 2.2 high cop a canning from salt spray.
Will be cleaning them soon, then, a hydrophobic wax will be applied..

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
I think I have the same issue as you regarding trying to get the car windows squeaky clean and am finding windex not cutting the mustard.
So just checking is this the stuff.

If it is they seam to do a large range of window products including Rain Repellent which could be interesting as I'm a fanboy of RainX.
:link: Invisible Glass Products
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
but, but... it seems only yesterday that you waxed lyrical about the Vax window vac.  I almost went out and bought one on the strength of your valued appraisal  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
but, but... it seems only yesterday that you waxed lyrical about the Vax window vac.  I almost went out and bought one on the strength of your valued appraisal  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

We have one and they are good for sliding doors and stuff.  :victory:

So a Win for the Ho's  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I was truly impressed with the Karcher when I first had it - but that was based on cleaning the house windows. I was never able to use it on the inside of the windscreen because of the steep rake of the glass.

Mine eventually developed an internal leak and sprayed the water back on the window as you cleaned it.  I wrote to Karcher asking their advice and they replied that they would replace the unit if within the warranty period - if not it is non-repairable and I would need to buy a new one.

I didn't buy a new one and used to wrap the body in a cloth to catch the unwanted spray.  That became a faff and I returned to using microfibre cloths and Mr Muscle winddow cleaner.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK, Alan, I value your reviews and therefor I have lashed out and bought one.  Based mainly on the inside windscreen issue which is always a bugger of a job and furthermore I was just passing the QVC channel in my endless search for some televisual entertainment and stopped there for a while as they were demonstrating the very same product and claiming that it also has a water repellant property  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm interested to see if this "fogs" the view through the dashcam at night. I had a bugger of a time removing the Rain-X coating when I discovered my dashcam couldn't pierce the thin film it deposits on the glass.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have been using Invisible glass inside and outside for the last three years. Won't use anything else. During winter on the outside only , I use IG and then Rain X over the top. For those in Australia you can buy it from Supercheap Autos

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm interested to see if this "fogs" the view through the dashcam at night. I had a bugger of a time removing the Rain-X coating when I discovered my dashcam couldn't pierce the thin film it deposits on the glass.

It doesn't - its "just" a cleaner and doesn't leave a coat of anything. This is the best cleaner I've ever found, I've used it since early years on the FD as it was the only stuff that would stop the wipers on the FD skipping.

I have to say I clean with cheap windowlene clone first then use the Invisible, so as to not waste too much of it.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Oh no, now I am seriously conflicted  :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks like it's just the version with repellant that might cause LED reflection at night-time.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

RainX makes no difference to my VIOFO dashcam which has a circular polarising filter.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Wow, so many products. I just use Maguire ultimate  wax
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal