i30 Owners Club

British Airways - The Word's Favourite Airline - for some.

AlanHo · 6 · 1553

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This story is circulating the Internet.

For some years the British Airways Unions have taken numerous industrial actions to protect their members – some with good reason but many have damaged the business. The unions are run by senior staff who have jealously guarded their own position – even at the expense of Junior staff. For some years the British Airways Unions have taken numerous industrial actions to protect their members – some with good reason but many have damaged the business. The unions are run by senior staff who have jealously guarded their own position – even at the expense of Junior staff. The result has been world leading pay scales, benefits, working hours and other benefits for senior staff which have made it for them and not Junior staff or passengers “The World’s Favourite Airline”.

B.A has a bewildering number of pay scales and benefits which are heavily biased towards long service senior staff who all earn far more than the Prime Minister or captains of industry and at the same time, work less hours and enjoy first class benefits.

The current pandemic has brought B.A to its knees and its survival is threatened – as is many other airlines where overhead and pay scales are far lower.

B.A need to cut the workforce by 12,000 staff –1,200 being long service captains and pilots – of which 800 are employed by the Boeing 747 fleet.  These Jumbo jets are old, have inefficient fuel guzzling engines and cannot compete with modern aircraft in fuel efficiency. B.A have decided to scrap them.

To make matters worse the Airbus A380 double deck Jumbo plane has proved to be a white elephant and its production has been stopped by Airbus due to a lack of sales. Airlines no longer want it and those that already employ them want to get rid of them. It is the biggest commercial plane in the World and can carry up to 800 passengers. Fully loaded it weighs 550 tons and there are relatively few airfields that it can operate from with a full fuel load. It’s not just the size and facilities of the destination airfield that is the decider – it is because by law, aircraft must have a suitable diversion runway in the event of an emergency at any point during the flight. This makes it impossible to fly some routes due to the lack of suitable diversions.

B.A are not alone in wanting to rid themselves of the A380 – which like the Boeing Jumbo is crewed by senior staff.

Negotiations with the B.A Unions have broken down and B.A told the unions that if a suitable agreement is not reached, they will have no option but to terminate all staff and rehire the number needed on new and more viable pay scales. This has caused uproar – so the pilots Union (which is virtually run by senior staff on privileged terms and conditions) suggested a solution.

The Jumbo and other senior pilots would accept redundancy, provided B.A continue to pay them  66% of their salaries for a minimum of 3 years at the end of which they would either return to work or be paid their full redundancy entitlement.  They also suggested that the junior staff who retain their jobs should make up the senior staff’s salaries. It is estimated that this represents a 15% pay cut for the remaining staff. It seems that B.A might accept this, but the junior staff are now doubly incensed and staff relations are toxic.  They see themselves as having their ranks decimated by redundancy and those who retain their jobs will be paying for senior staff to stay at home for 3 years on several times the salaries the junior staff have to go to work for.

Can you imagine a worse industrial relations situation – this could easily mark the end of “The Worlds Favourite Airline”.

Other airlines including Easy Jet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, Jet 2 and TUI must be sitting on the fence watching this story unfold like hungry Buzzards.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@AlanHo    Did your BA pilot son get back to work after his injury before Covid struck. Where would he fit in this scenario? Being a Hovington, I'm imagine he has attained quite lofty heights.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
@AlanHo    Did your BA pilot son get back to work after his injury before Covid struck. Where would he fit in this scenario? Being a Hovington, I'm imagine he has attained quite lofty heights.  :cool:

Who on earth is a Hovington?. It is certainly not my surname. My son is so fed up with all the shenanigans at BA he has applied to retire. He will be 60 in September and he considers it time he hung up his boots.  He has been disillusioned with his job as a captain on Airbus A320's for a few years and his recent spell of shingles and the nerve damage aftermath coupled with the pandemic and the current B A woes has made his mind up for him. He is not regarded as senior staff by B.A because he was previously in the RAF as a captain flying Hercules and joined B A after he retired from the RAF about 15 years ago. He doesn't talk to me in detail about the chaos at B A and the gross disparity between various levels of staff but I imagine he may well be disgusted at B A caving in to the senior staff yet again at the expense of staff like him.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :-[ whoops,  don't know where I got that from then.  :crazy1:

Cheers for the reply  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
wow that is scadalous that BA are even considering those terms of blackmal.
BTW I always thought the A380 was going to be the white elephant in the room even as an ex employee of BAE and Airbus prior to deportation, i mean emigration.
Times change, light fuel efficient quieter plastic planes are the way forward, for now with Boeing 777 Dreamliner and Airbus A350 late to the party
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline gizmo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wickford
    • Gizmo's Gazebo
Other airlines including Easy Jet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, Jet 2 and TUI must be sitting on the fence watching this story unfold like hungry Buzzards.

Chances are similar shenanigans are happening inside most of those airlines too...
  • i30 N Performance

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal