i30 Owners Club

Car feels like trying to Brake

Hedges · 7 · 6414

Offline Hedges

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon, England
Good Afternoon

Just joined the forum, so fingers cross you able are to assist.  I drive a 63 plates i30 CRDI 53,000 miles on the clock

Noticed over the last couple of days, driving around 30mph, car feels like it want to brake.  When I do stop at a junction on traffic light, the car stops as if the brakes are on, whether I am on a hill or flat road  I do not have to put the hand brake on, it remains stationary.  If I switch the engine off, leave it for a minute, car returns to normal.  But after 5/10 minutes it returns.  No warning lights appear on the dash board. Any ideas ?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 63 Plate

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Has the car been sitting around idle before this started?
After a journey, do any of your wheels feel unusually warm?

Note this is an international forum. Members outside UK may not know what year 63 plate refers, so always best to state model year of your car in posts and in your signature.

UK 63plate = September 2013 to March 2014.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Hedges

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon, England
Registered October 2013.

No wheels don't feel unusually warm.  Car used on a daily basis.  As soon as you stop, the brakes lock, move away without any issues  had the car 18 months and not had any issues like this before.  Front brakes replaced last september
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 63 Plate

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Does your model have "Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)" function?
My 2020 model has that, but I don't know if that was included in earlier i30 models.
If it does have HAC, you will find the car will not roll back when stopped at traffic lights etc, It holds momentarily after you release the footbrake and accelerate away.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My 2014 had HAC fitted, but that only took effect when on an incline, so unlikely to be that unless the sensor is faulty or displaced. Never can tell though...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Hedges

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon, England
Afternoon All

Just to update you it was a front N/S Calliper sticking.  Garage had a look claimed in was ok, but when I reminded them of the symptoms they had another look.  They found a fault.  It is now fixed and running smoothly.  I think this problem has been building up over a period of time ie running of the car not running very smoothly etc then it would clear.  Now repaired car is pulling away a lot smoother.

Thanks for your tips though
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 63 Plate

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Do you know if it was the caliper itself, or the slider pins? I have had issues where the slider pins become corroded so the caliper gets stuck. I check my brakes at least twice a year, which means taking the wheel off, take the caliper off, measure the thickness of the disc and pads, and check that the slider pins move smoothly in and out. If there's any signs of roughness, pull them out to see if they're corroded. They're not expensive parts to replace and an easy DIY job. Sticky slider pins can result in the brake pads wearing out much faster than the other side, and the added drag can result in excess heat causing the disc to warp and/or damaging the rubber seals in the caliper.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal