i30 Owners Club

I'll let you off with a Warning...This time

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yup - cannot believe it.
I was at a set of lights and took off on green (nothing too hard - but gave it a kick anyhoo).
Unbeknown to me was a Police car a few cars behind me.......

On when the disco and I was pulled over.......Great.

Well to my surprise I was being pulled over for an emissions check.  Here I was thinking it was about my leaving the intersection in a hurry. Apparently when I took off the car blew smoke (duh!).

Well I got the lecture about legal car emissions, environment, etc, and the fact that I need to have my car and it's emissions looked at and taken care of sooner than later, and if I am seen driving with emissions like that again that I would be looking at a hefty fine and an impounded car!

I thought WTF?  "It's a diesel, and there is sometimes noticeable emissions when accelerating."  The Officer didn't really wanna here it, and just continued to lecture....

I wasn't going to argue with the officer as obviously he'd either hadn't gotten much recently, was a hippy in a uniform or he was seriously bored.

I let him finish, muttered under my breath, thanked him for his advice and pulled away......

<dumbfounded>

**Oh BTW I didn't put this in Diesel Problems and Issues as I don't think it qualifies.....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How old is your car?

Did he give you a note, or whatever they call them, to produce documents etc?

I'd be down to the Hy dealer and getting them to "check it" under warranty as the Police have advised you that the emissions are incorrect.

Get proof of emissions and take it to the Police and ask what action they wish to take with HY Oz!!! as the car, well I presume it will be, within all tolerances.

ps what colour smoke was emitted from the Police cars exhaust?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Car is less than 1 month old...
No notice, no paperwork - nuthin!
It had it's first service last week!

I reckon this dude was seriously on a power trip.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You should visit your dealership and mention that your local constabulary, equipped with state-of-the-art emissions-counting eyes, reckon you're emitting over 119g/km of carbon. And they must be right, 'cos they always are.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rolleyes: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL, your kidding right... reminds me of the time i was pulled up in the skyline, and the cop wanted to know where my blow off valve was hidden... after he searched the intake piping, i showed it to him... it was the stock factory fitted one

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :lol:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I know what it was------------
he was just jealous cos he hasn't got a new i30
or he never had any toys when he was a kid lol
my opinion is that you have to be a special sort of ass**le
to be  a copper anyway, as most of them would Nick their own
grandmother !

ps, i will probably get a warning for this post

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

ps, i will probably get a warning for this post

You're a new member with good taste in cars...So we'll let you off this time  :cool:

We have a couple of Ex-coppers on the site so i'll apologise on your behalf will I.. :question:

I reckon this copper had just watched "Smoky and the Bandit" too many times... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I reckon this copper had just watched "Smoky and the Bandit" too many times... :D

Now there's a great film I haven't seen for years!

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
Hahaha thats pretty funny.....and dumb :rolleyes:

While we're on this topic, I have noticed that there is a large amount of smoke if you accelerate hard with the diesel. A tune should fix that though, make it a bit leaner.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

While we're on this topic, I have noticed that there is a large amount of smoke if you accelerate hard with the diesel. A tune should fix that though, make it a bit leaner.
  but the cars only a few months old . :eek:  it shouldnt need a tune, its brand new.  :wink:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

but the cars only a few months old . :eek:  it shouldnt need a tune, its brand new.  :wink:
Yeah I know, it won't be illegal but I can't help but feel bad when I look out the back at a large amount of smoke. :'(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yeah I know, it won't be illegal but I can't help but feel bad when I look out the back at a large amount of smoke. :'(

A large amount is not normal .. what colour is the smoke?

If you start the car on cold mornings without letting the glowplug warm up for a second or two you might get a little smoke but not a lot! Maybe there is too much oil put in at pre-delivery??

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
I always wait a few seconds before starting the engine. I don't get any smoke when starting up or accelerating lightly, it's only when I accelerate hard (after it is at normal operating temp). Not sure about the amount of oil, I haven't checked. Colour is black. The back of my car always gets really dirty from this too.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

There's a bit if I accelerate harder than normal, but I've seen way worse on some ULP cars that just shouldn't be on the road.

Not to digress too much, but I'm a big fan of having yearly roadworthy's done on cars and it should be manditory when renewing a rego.  At the mo' you just hand over cash for your rego, but there are some real death traps driving around.

That's why I couldn't believe I got pulled over........

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If there was enough smoke for the cops to pull you over Its worth a trip back to the dealer to get them to take a look. It doesn't sound right.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mine only blows enough so you can just notice it at night in the headlights of the other cars.... havent seen any smoke anyother time...

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

mine only blows enough so you can just notice it at night in the headlights of the other cars.... havent seen any smoke anyother time...

This is the same as what I get - so I think he was just 'in the mood'

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

This is the same as what I get - so I think he was just 'in the mood'
I've been watching mine and it seems the same as you describe. I guess I just have to get used to the diesel doing this.

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Diesel's will produce black smoke under load ( assuming you have no DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter ). This is normal. Unlike a petrol car, there is no "correct mixture" to tune or a fixed air / fuel ratio. Basically the more diesel you put in, the more power it will produce. The full load limit of a diesel engine in normal service is defined by the "black smoke limit", beyond which point the fuel cannot be completely combusted. The manufacturer will generally allow the computer to inject upto this limit under full load. You are more likely to see black smoke when the engine is cold - because otherwise it would be completely gutless if the EFI restricted the diesel flow below the BSL in a cold condition. Also, when you are off boost there won't be much air so the EFI will let you smoke a bit to get you up to boost so that it can then run efficiently.

The i30 can take 20 to 30 mins to warm up fully depending on the local climate and how hard you are driving - You can check this yourself if you have a scan gauge, the normal coolant temp is between 85 and 95 ( as defined by the thermostat opening and closing specifications in the manual ). The built in gauge won't show you enough resolution.

So.. If your car is "cold" and your coming up from low'ish revs like at the lights, you are very likely to see some black smoke. This is normal and means that the tuning of your car is correct. Large amounts of smoke or continuous smoke are a different matter.

Also, as far as I am aware, the emission limits don't apply to when you are accelerating ( not 100% sure of that though). It's normal for any engine to produce more emissions under heavy load.

I think the officer just pulled you over because you were a little lead footed. This is normal. If they see something that's a bit iffy they will pull you over just to check your car and you over. They will often call it a "random breath test" if they have a breathalyser in the car or just make up some crap. As he was yacking to you, his partner would have been running your rego through the system to see if the car was stolen etc. Standard procedure. I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ohh yeah! i've had many many "random breath tests" and "licence and rego checks" they always run a check on your number plate and licence number, i know i have a scanner in my car (and my last car) and they dont seem to like it when they can hear you have a scanner and you say "OHH THATS MY NUMBER PLATE/LICENCE, im glad that came back all clear" hahaha

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Good to know marvy. I'm just not used to it :)

ohh yeah! i've had many many "random breath tests" and "licence and rego checks" they always run a check on your number plate and licence number, i know i have a scanner in my car (and my last car) and they dont seem to like it when they can hear you have a scanner and you say "OHH THATS MY NUMBER PLATE/LICENCE, im glad that came back all clear" hahaha

Aren't they illegal?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
nah not illegal!! they are only illegal if say I'm doing an armed robbery and i use it to evade the police

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
nah not illegal!! they are only illegal if say I'm doing an armed robbery and i use it to evade the police
hahahaha convenient :twisted: :twisted:

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Aren't they illegal?

It's not illegal to listen to police communications but it is illegal to act on the information you hear. My favourite one was where the police started to talk about finding aliens in some out of the way place. Something about a flying saucer landing. They then arrested everybody that turned up to have a look.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL thats hallarious!!! i cant say ive ever "acted on information ive heard on it"

wait... when my mates and i used to do skids out the front of the house i used to hear the complaints come in from the neighbours, but by the time the cops had done a drive by we were gone

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia

You're a new member with good taste in cars...So we'll let you off this time  icon_cool

I'll let you off with a Warning...This time (smile)

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

• MY09, SLX CRDI, Moonlight Blue, 5sp man
...as most of them would Nick their own
grandmother !

We had a cop in town who reportedly gave his wife a speeding ticket  :lol:  Must have been a bit short on his quota for the day.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal