i30 Owners Club

Constant Headlight Blows

Duckman · 316 · 118050

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys, unfortunately I think I have an autoelectrical fault, but I don't think it's necessarily an i30/Hyundai issue, therefore I write it in General Discussion!

Anywho, I have gone through about 6 globes in as many months, all being the standard H7 globes that provide the headlight illumination. I haven't added any halogen/Xenon globes, just the bog standard ones. Is there any course of action I should take (other than to the dealer), that would cause this to happen? Or is there an easy fix? Oh, and they were both headlamps, 4 passenger side, 2 driver's side.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Indeed. There was a one-off comment from someone on another site that this is caused by a "grounding fault behind the battery".  This may have been a literal translation. No more details were given.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Heh, well I'll try and give it a look, I'll also have to buy a lot of extra lights in case it's an ongoing thing, which I hope it's not!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Duckman.. I'd get the dealer to check it out (not normal) sounds like a warranty job to me... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I hate referring to the dealership. They have never once properly sorted problems out (earlier clutch issue I had). My parents used to take their car there, but they conveniently lost, yes LOST, the car in the yard... Twice...!! And amongst other things that go on there, I am happy to pay my local certified mechanic to do the work.

Am I an idiot? Possibly. But at least the local guys fix the issues at hand.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I agree it's more than likely an earthing issue. However, it's probably also worth checking that the enclosure cap seals are intact; those being the circular plastic covers that need unscrewing to access the bulbs seats.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
im sure when i was replacing bolts i found 2 earths behind the fuse box/relay box on the left hand side of the engine bay, secured by 10mm bolts and there is one on the throttle body (1.6 diesel) check them! first before you do anything!!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you didn't handle the globe with bare hands when you fitted it.sometimes the sweat or oils on your fingers can cause a globe to blow prematurely.most people know this,but a lot also don't know about this.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fair Call Duckman (about the dealership..) I haven't been back to mine for a service or any warranty jobs on either of our cars since I got them two years ago  :-[ (now I come to think of it  :wink:) For the same sort of reasons that you stated... :cool:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
your not using cheap bulbs... the cheaper chinese bulbs have a tendency to blow for nothing...

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I know about not handling the glass of the bulb, I'm pretty sure that comes in the handbook "Common Sense 101". Also, I used Narva H7 globes, but chose Bosch H7 globes this time, mainly because I had no headlights at all at around 8pm, and the servo only had these! $15 a pop is overpriced, although, I assume Bosch lights are at least OK!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
bro you might be best of taking it back to a dealer and getting them to check it, sounds like your using good quality bulbs, you installed them correctly.

there might be a problem with the car:(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I dont remeber how old duckman's xcar is, but the bulbs (globes) should be covered for at least 1 year under the warranty. My mind tells me they are covered for 2 years in the UK.

Pip
There might be a problem with the alternator regulator. 14.5 volts should be a maximum (14.3 to 14.4 volts is sufficient) seen at the battery with the engine running at just above idle.

Measure with any old (reasonably accurate) voltmeter and if the voltage goes above ~14.4 and does not plateau at this voltage but keeps rising, when running the revs up slowly, then it has a faulty regulator and needs to be repaired.

A slightly high, yet otherwise well regulated, voltage will appear to be fine but will blow lamps (and possibly other electrics).

I really doubt this is the problem but I mention it because I did have a car that had a 14.55 volts regulated voltage (i.e., a high "normal" voltage) but it blew lamps regularly.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My car is just on 18 months old with 56,000km, so the lights do get good use, but they shouldn't be lasting so short a time.

BTW, the voltage thing can be displayed on the ScanGauge correct? If the readings are a bit out, it could be what you said Pip...

Offline onine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Lota, Brisbane
I found one i30 with a loose earth lead from the battery to the body It was a one off thing The chap came home, left his car and when he went out later none of the electrics were working Took the battery out , cleaned the terminal and body where it is bolted and re fastened it Everything back to normal

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well after 2 plus years & 70,000+ k's i have blown a passenger side headlight.
not happy as my two previouse cars had well over 200,000k still original headlights and much better lighting than the stock i30. just hope its not a problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

just hope its not a problem.

I doubt it is John.. :cool:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
well after 2 plus years & 70,000+ k's i have blown a passenger side headlight.

Check warranty booklet as they might be covered for 3 years
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, even still, I'd just replace them myself. It's not exactly expensive, and it's hard to go wrong.

Speaking of which, my Bosch headlights have last 10,000km without blowing!!!  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i would not go to a dealer, i was short of time went to an auto electrican we use on our company transport as no time and okked to tight to get behind the light glube. other cars i've owned you could always remove globes from behind not having to remove whole light asembly. but always had to do that with the tail lights not head lights. so i'm not useing the lights in daytime anymore only at night.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Two of my also went out quite fast, but probably because of the bulb type. At first I had "stock" ones in and they didn't even die when I replaced them with xenon hid kit (so probably 6 months - 30k km without a problem). But after a while I decided to put the xenon kit out and I bought Osram Silverstar (I think they are +50%?) bulbs. They lasted for about 2 months and then I replaced them with Narva Range (Blue?) +50%. They lasted about 3 months and now I'm running on Philips Premium (+30%?). Hope they will last longer, because they are not as "strong" (+%, etc) as the previous ones, which are known for their short lifespan. Will report if they do go out soon..

You can try with Osram Light@day or other "long life" bulbs you have available over there. They tend to be a bit weaker in light output, but can last least twice as long..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well as i posted a few weeks back the left hand stock headlight blew, now the right hand stock headlight has blown.
i with Hyundai would fit HID to aussie delivered cars . so when we drive in rural area's at night we can see. also i would expect the cooler burning HID to last longer but i'm just asuming this no proof.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Duckman , did you resolve this problem as I now have it, 3 bulbs in six months all passenger side (left one as in UK) the headlight units are a pain to get out.

Offline rats 07

• 1st Gear
I'm just new to the group have a i30 cw desil. (2009) and have had 4 headlights (Low Beams) blown. and they are a pain to get out. is this normal or should i get them to look after it under warrenty?? i have replaced them with Phillips H7.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Rats 07 .. Yes the diesels do seem to have a tendancy to blow globes (well some do) a few members have gone 3 years without blowing any :question:

They really seem to chew through the Hi intensity + ones.. :rolleyes:

Fairly hard to get a Hyundai or dealer to admit it though (a couple have been helpful but not sure in which state / country off the top of my head) 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome Rats 07 .. Yes the diesels do seem to have a tendancy to blow globes (well some do) a few members have gone 3 years without blowing any :question:

3.5 years and still on the original bulbs which came with the car
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
I have a 2011 diesel CW and it's blown 6 headlight globes in 12 months four of which have been replaced by the dealer. Going back for a complete autoelectical check up next week.

Never seen globes blow like this.

So far the dealer has said there is nothing wrong and it's probably just bad luck but it's gone on too long.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome tombodombo .. Yes definitely sounds like a voltage spike (Some) CRDi's are experiencing..

One of the few faults that have surfaced with the Korean built i30's...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal