i30 Owners Club

Constant Headlight Blows

Duckman · 316 · 118400

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi Steen

Peugeot had some problems with lots of blown headlights, maybe they have a solution that can also be used on the i30.. :question:

I'm not sure about the reactions I'll get from the car, if I fit Peugeutparts on it :eek:  :eek:  :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've just blown another headlight bulb, think it's  number 8 in 43000 km. I allways change them in pairs.
This time I bought Osram Night Breaker Plus, but without luck, they didn't last longer.

I've measured the voltage on the battery and with the engine running its 14,2 volt. That might explain the short life of a bulb.
It's getting quite expensive in bulbs if I've gonna change every 6000 km.

Do you start your car with the lights on? I think this can contribute to globe failure although as per other comments higher output = shorter lifespan too... :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have never had a headlight bulb fail - I don't do very much night driving - possibly 150 hours per year.

If I did need to replace the standard bulbs - these are the ones I would replace them with as recommended by Auto Express.

H7 Philips EcoVision 12v 55w

EcoVision consumes up to 20% less energy than a standard car lamp while giving you twice the lifetime and 10% more light. Using EcoVision lamps reduces your cars fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Which means you save fuel and money while helping the planet.

Benefits
 • 10% more light on the road over a standard halogen bulb
• Safer night driving
• Longer Life
• Fully 'E' Marked and road legal
• UV protected and suitable for use in plastic lenses
• Quartz Glass, giving longer life up to 1000 hours

Who would buy these

Those who are after an upgrade bulb that offers more light output, twice the lifetime and saves energy and fuel. For further detailed information on this new product visit www.philips.com/ecovision

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
I have never had a headlight bulb fail - I don't do very much night driving - possibly 150 hours per year.

Well... some of us need to have the headlights turned on all the time (also during the day). I will keep this Philips in mind. I expect the next one to go in a few months.

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
In Denmark we use the lights all day, they are not turned on before the engine starts.
A bit tricky to explain but when you turn the ignition on you got no lights, as soon the engine fires up they light up.

It's got DRL which means the headlights are on but not the lights inside the car(instruments, switches etc).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:03:40 by SteenP »

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
In Denmark we use the lights all day, they are not turned on before the engine starts.
A bit tricky to explane but when you turn the ignition on you got no lights, as soon the engine fires up they light up.

It's got DRL which means the headlights are on but not the lights inside the car(instruments, switches etc).

I don't see the purpose of those DRL's if they are like normal headlights. I've seen some DRL (LED) kits that can be installed on i30. That might be better. They looked similar to this, but they were in German Hyundai catalog as "additional" equipment. I'll try to find it.

Till I do, here are some for i30 also.

EDIT:

Here they are or check THIS pdf on 14th site
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:35:08 by accim »

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
A bit tricky to explane but when you turn the ignition on you got no lights, as soon the engine fires up they light up.

I don't see the purpose of those DRL's if they are like normal headlights. I've seen some DRL (LED) kits that can be installed on i30. That might be better. They looked similar to this, but they were in German Hyundai catalog as "additional" equipment. I'll try to find it.

Till I do, here are some for i30 also.

EDIT:

Here they are or check THIS pdf on 14th site

I know them. They wont cure the problem because during winter it's so dark that I still have to use the headlights when driving to/from work.

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
Just an observation i made recently,  i have an Ultraguage fitted, and decided to monitor volts for a change, i noticed at startup, voltage is 12. something, after about 3 seconds its jumps to 14.6, and stays there,   so if your starting your car with the lights on, this jump might be causing the problems,    i have 30,000 km up now, and never start or stop the engine with the lights on.  never had a bulb problem.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Ultralights (doesn't surprise me at all)

We don't call you Ultra Lights .. for nothing  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just an observation i made recently,  i have an Ultraguage fitted, and decided to monitor volts for a change, i noticed at startup, voltage is 12. something, after about 3 seconds its jumps to 14.6, and stays there,   so if your starting your car with the lights on, this jump might be causing the problems,    i have 30,000 km up now, and never start or stop the engine with the lights on.  never had a bulb problem.

:whsaid:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark

The lights turns on by them self, instantly, when the engine fires up. I'd have to switch to positionslight and then back to the headlights, when engine is running, if I should prevent that.
That can't be right.

It's because we have to use DRL in Denmark.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
We also need to have the lights on 24/7 (day and night) and that really is a problem. Try with some "long-life" bulbs.. The light output is worse, but they last longer at least.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, today was the day for one of mine headlight bulbs to blow.  :disapp:

Also Osram Night Breaker Plus only 5 months old.

Now I bought some other Osram Ultra Light. There's 3 years warranty on those, but they do not offer +50% light.

Exiting to see how they will do.....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, today was the day for one of mine headlight bulbs to blow.  :disapp:

Also Osram Night Breaker Plus only 5 months old.

Now I bought some other Osram Ultra Light. There's 3 years warranty on those, but they do not offer +50% light.

Exiting to see how they will do.....

3 years warranty, that is interesting (better check the fine print to be sure they didn't exclude the i30 diesel  :lol:)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, can't find the fine print, maybe my eyes are getting old...  :lol:

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-cars/halogen-light/ultra-life/index.jsp?productId=ZMP_1013618

I will give them a chance. I can only fear they don't provide light enough..  :(

I think I'll try to meassure the voltage at the headlamps while they are removed anyway.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I don't see Australia in the list of Countries that qualify...?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's there, they just missed a couple of letters out  :undecided:

What is this with "White Russia"  :Shocked: (are they allowed to say that)  :whistler:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here you go:  :D

:link:

Thanks  :goodjob2:

Denmark is on the list, so far so good.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, I measurred the voltage when changing the bulbs this morning.

On battery, without ignition:  12,55 V

At headlight bulb with ignition:  11,46 V  (started at ca 10,5 V and ended at 11,46 V after a few seconds, must be the glow plugs using all the power)

At headlight bulb at idle:  13,77 V (increasing revs to 2000 didn't change voltage)

So, your 12 V headlight bulbs are burdened by 15 % too high voltage.

Remember 15-20 years ago when I mounted ekstra relays for the headlights to increase the voltage  :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

It's there, they just missed a couple of letters out  :undecided:

What is this with "White Russia"  :Shocked: (are they allowed to say that)  :whistler:

Good one  :mrgreen:  And as for the White Russia - they probably meant neighbor country called Belarus , as "Bela" in word Belarus, means "white"  :wink:

So that's it.. Could some relay solve the problem?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

How would a relay help Belarus being called white Russia?

Can you throw some light on the matter?......... :whistler:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 22:55:21 by AlanHo »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

:mrgreen: :snigger:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 22:55:37 by AlanHo »

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

:mrgreen: :snigger:

:Agoodpost:

Silly you  :snigger:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Good one  :mrgreen:  And as for the White Russia - they probably meant neighbor country called Belarus , as "Bela" in word Belarus, means "white"  :wink:
white is белый/ beliy in Russian  :mrgreen:

Just checked "White Russia" with a dictionary and it indeed proved to be a former name of Belarus country.
A shame on Osram for this mistake

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

EcoVision consumes up to 20% less energy than a standard car lamp while giving you twice the lifetime and 10% more light. Using EcoVision lamps reduces your cars fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

How do they manage to evade Ohm's law?

Bulbs produce light by heating a filament  so how you can get 10% more light and consume 20% less energy is  mystery but you will get a longer life by  reducing wattage.

The only way a bulb will reduce fuel consumption is when it is not turned on.

Apparently,  light bulbs have a  accurate life span of 1000 hours and where I worked it was cheaper to group  change all the bulbs in a building in one go than return on an ad hoc basis to change the odd one or two.  When a group change ran late it was invariably found that almost all the bulbs had failed within a day or two.  Heavy Duty (rough service) bulbs are rated at 2000 hours which is achieved by a thicker filament giving slightly less light but doubling the  life.  I can vouch for this as I have four external lights around the house on a solar switch.  When one bulb fails the others will also fail within a day or so.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

How do they manage to evade Ohm's law?

Bulbs produce light by heating a filament  so how you can get 10% more light and consume 20% less energy is  mystery but you will get a longer life by  reducing wattage.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the gas pressure inside the bulb is higher, resulting in more light output. Maybe they can use a thinner filament because of this.  :neutral:

Pip
I'll just add this: most of the energy in an incandescent light is radiated as heat (infrared) which is frequency-wise below visible light. Our eyes simply do not see it. If the (colour) temperature of the filament can be raised then the efficiency of the lamp is also raised because less (wasted) invisible light is radiated. This why fluorescent lights are efficient, little infra-red (heat) is generated. 

No conclusion...

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Increased light output of a filament bulb can only be achieved by increasing the wattage but this is restricted to 55 watts for road use..   The gas filling to to restrict the evaporation of the metallic filament to a minimum and gases of the halide family under pressure are used for this in car halogen bulbs.  Any coloured coating restricts the light output but   may make it appear whiter to the human eye.
The car headlamp  filament bulb has probably reached its peak performance which is why the trend is now towards HID bulbs which work in a different way.  Current marketing of special headlamp bulbs is more a play with words than improved performance and rarely mentions the (much) reduced life.

Just my view.  Other views may be available.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed: pip & baradeur 100%

I think the future will be in LED lighting. Almost indestructible, very low voltage & power requirements, selectable light output K. I have them at home in our standard lamps for room lighting, they use a whole 5 watts, I have more on order. I forecast within 2 years there will be an effective automotive equivalent.

Although HID is the current flavour, they actually produce too much light, are more expensive to manufacture, don't handle off / on cycles well and if done properly, require suspension tracking to keep them safe to oncoming traffic. They are illegal in some countries where not OEM fitted too.  :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal