7500 Service

Guest · 49 · 9263

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I would never run a car more than a few 100 kms past its service intervals ..

Now does the car really, I mean really know how many K's it has done or the days between services?

Imagine this scenario:
Once the car gets to predetermined K's or date the cars ECU would flash up a message to the driver that a service is due in xx K's or days.
Once the next K's or days are reached the ECU will shut down to only operate in limp mode.   
The service person would reactivate the ECU only after the service has been done.

Any others have any thoughts on this?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Lester...

Don't BMWs and a couple of other presige brands bring up a service reminder on the dash when a service is due?

One of my reasons for the "not going past the official service intervals" post is because i've known of at least two females (no offence intended) that have gone well over 40,000kms between services.  :eek:

One because she reckoned the car was running fine and didn't need a service  :rolleyes:(think it was a 2002 Holden Astra (Vauxhall in the UK) and the other was a Nissan Pulsar Sedan of similar vintage ...(had other more pressing bills to pay)  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
My mates holden commodore flashed up telling him it was time for a service. :exclaim:

I don't think turning into limp mode is a good idea at all.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I suppose at the end of the day it's up to the individual when / whether they service their car, but when i spend my hard earned money on a new car i like to look after my investment, so i service it and do preventative maintenance regularly, and in MY experience it pays off.
if my car starts to drip oil on the drive i Will fix the leak rather than keep topping it up,
(i am sad i even clean the engine and polish the engine bay, i hate dirty engines)
as i do a lot of flying i am glad the airlines don't adopt the  attitude of don't service it coz it's running fine.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the service thing poping up is a nusance.... mom and dads merc has it, dads a mechanic but doensnt have access to merc stuff SO despite the fact that the car is well serviced, it pops up with the "service 20,000km overdue" symbol on the dash...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- loads on the net as to how to reset that :D

...  but we're straying a bit, and it's all Dazz's fault :P :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :eek: :eek: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I would never run a car more than a few 100 kms past its service intervals ..

Now does the car really, I mean really know how many K's it has done or the days between services?

Imagine this scenario:
Once the car gets to predetermined K's or date the cars ECU would flash up a message to the driver that a service is due in xx K's or days.
Once the next K's or days are reached the ECU will shut down to only operate in limp mode.   
The service person would reactivate the ECU only after the service has been done.

Any others have any thoughts on this?
i think our cars should show for instance a spanner indicating a service is due,my wife's old car did.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
NO... i plan on servicing my car myself... i dont want that poping up then i cant get rid of it!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*awaits shambles to ban himself* LOLZ anyone can use google!! i wanted a link hahahahha

Offline ajp3830

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast

• Sunshine Coast Qld
Some info on Magnatec Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 SP is suitable for use where the following specifications or classifications are cited.

Performance    
API SM
Where these SAE grades cited    Petrol engines, supersedes SJ, SH etc.
5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-40
API CF
SAE grades where suitable   Diesel engines, supersedes CD, CC. 4WD, passenger car and LCV 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-40, 30
ACEA A3   High performance Petrol, surpasses A2, A1 (engine performance)
ACEA B3   High performance Diesel passenger car, 4WD and light commercial vehicles; surpasses B2, B1 (engine performance)
Ford    WSS-M2C-913A/B
VW   500.00, 501.01, 505.00
which I have found

Pip
Here is the same for the Professional 5w40

Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40 is suitable for use where the following
specifications or classifications are cited:
Performance
API SM
Where these SAE grades cited
Petrol engines, supersedes SL, SJ, SH, etc
5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-40
API CF
SAE grades where suitable
Diesel engine, supersedes CD, CC. 4WD, passenger car and LCV
5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-40, 30
ACEA A3 High performance petrol, surpasses A2, A1, A5 (engine performance)
ACEA B3, B4 High performance diesel passenger car, 4WD and light commercial
vehicles; surpasses B2, B1, B5 (engine performance)
Ford WSS-M2C-913A/B
VW 500.00, 501.01, 505.00

Note that it meets (according to Castrol) ACEA B4. Whether any changes were made to the oil itself, I dunno.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
it appears the specification for oil in oz is lower than in uk,
here it is c3 low SAPS which is only made in fully synthetic.
but if the  aussie engines dont have a diesel particulate filter
this is the reason why!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

but if the  aussie engines dont have a diesel particulate filter

Yes that is correct although I think only fully synthetics meet the diesel requirements in Oz as well..

Pip
but if the  aussie engines dont have a diesel particulate filter

Yes that is correct although I think only fully synthetics meet the diesel requirements in Oz as well..
I seem to repeat this regularly and I don't mean to suggest other interpretations are necessarilly wrong nor those (sorry again Dazz) using particular "synthetic" oils by choice that don't fit my definition are wrong so to do.

The point I make again is that "fully" synthetic by most normal definitions of the word "fully" suggest only synthetic constituents are used. However, oil companies are allowed (in Australia and America and I guess some other places) to use the term synthetic, let alone fully synthetic or even 100% fully synthetic, to include a mineral oil derivative. Many ACEA B4 oils accepted here in Oz for non after-burner exhaust filters will not be made exclusively from a synthetic base oil. This definitely means Castrol Edge everything, with the singular exception of 0w40.

Castrol Edge 0w40 is probably a much better oil than any other "Edge" products; it naturally costs more too. In fact its cost is similar to the much lauded Mobil 1 0w40 which I believe is one of if not the only fully synthetic Mobil oils. Mobil 1 5w30 ESP European formula is unlikely to be fully synthetic but is a low SAPS C3 oil that most non-Oz diesels need .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Slightly off topic but our local K-mart had Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 "Fully Synthetic" on clearance for A$40 yesterday so I bought 1 x 5ltrs (still got a couple of Castrol edge stockpiled) This oil was originally A$65 and the cheapest you usually see it is around the A$58 mark.. so a good buy at A$40 if anyone can find some at their local K-mart  :D

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
I don't plan on doing the 7500kms services. I just don't do the harsh driving that would require it. The car will be traded before the warranty expires and i can't see the trade price being higher because i have. My dealer said the 7500 would cost me about 300ish so that's money in my pocket.

Called for a price today $295. What do i get i asked? Oil, Filter, Fluid checks, hook up to computer.
Holy Moly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal