i30 Owners Club

7500 Service

Guest · 49 · 9264

ajp3801
Its finally happened! I now have over 7500k on the clock ie 1.6 diesel
My problem !       Pay for a service or change the oil myself.
Apart from the oil , does the dealer normally change the oil filter.? And what else would they do at this interval if anything.?
Im wondering that if I was to do a DIY oil , should I change the filter .
Im thinking that by changing the filter the dealer will know that its not a hyundai oil filter when I go to the dealer for the 15000 service
Q......Do you think we take a risk by DIY . As for oil im thinking of castrol edge 5w30
Ideas welcome

Pip
To pay or not to pay? Your choice.

If you do it yourself you have the option to not change the filter at all. I don't, I let the dealer do it at the major services. If you do, I'd use a genuine Hy filter. If you have a dealer do it you can still provide your own oil if you wish.

I've been an advocate here to use an oil better than the cheapest you can get. I'm more a convert because I also tried Edge 5w30 for my first change. :neutral: Of course you must use an oil that meets specs but that still gives quite a few choices. With oil I do believe that you get what you pay for. Really good oil is unlikely to be bought at a bargain price.

For the question of risk: I see no risk so long as you use genuine parts and do the job correctly with the correct oil. If something goes wrong and you make a warranty claim you might be in the unlikely position where you need to prove this.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
My dealer told me there was no need to service at 7500 and to just do the 15000 intervals.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Its finally happened! I now have over 7500k on the clock ie 1.6 diesel

Good stuff.

It would have been better for you to use your original login name though :rolleyes:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5050.msg53426.html#msg53426

You seem to have forgotten your password. You can request a password reminder on the login page :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have decided in the long-term interest of my car's engine that I would treat her to 7,500km oil changes with a top quality oil. I have located a supply of $17.50 (genuine) oil filters and the oil bought in a 20 litre drum works out at a shade over $60 for a refill.

I asked my independent mechanic yesterday what he would charge for an oil and filter change (my car's 7500km service is getting closer....4,000km showing now) and he said that if he provided the labour only and I supplied the oil and filter it would be $60. I think that that is a bit rich....

I will ring my local Hyundai dealer and ask them the same question.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have decided in the long-term interest of my car's engine that I would treat her to 7,500km oil changes with a top quality oil. I have located a supply of $17.50 (genuine) oil filters and the oil bought in a 20 litre drum works out at a shade over $60 for a refill.

I asked my independent mechanic yesterday what he would charge for an oil and filter change (my car's 7500km service is getting closer....4,000km showing now) and he said that if he provided the labour only and I supplied the oil and filter it would be $60. I think that that is a bit rich....

I will ring my local Hyundai dealer and ask them the same question.

Most places charge up to $80 an hour (although I don't pay that) :wink:

So $60 is probably reasonable...I doubt a dealer would charge less.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazzler,
The 7,500km oil and filter change only really takes several minutes of labour time. Gravity is the biggest worker in this one.

I think that I will save the cost of the next 5.3 litres of quality oil and do each and every "severe" oil and filter change myself. I actually like changing oil and with the i30 it is a piece of the proverbial cake....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Paolo Yes I know it doesn't take long but they all have a minimum charge.. I would do the intermediate ones yourself but get a qualified mechanic to do the compulsory ones and get them to stamp your book for warranty and resale...(if it were me)  :wink:

ajp3801

It would have been better for you to use your original login name though :rolleye

You seem to have forgotten your password. You can use request a password reminder on the login page :P
[/quote]

Sorry.didnt think anyone would notice. Unfortunately I cannot axcess my old email account ,therefore could not reset password

Thanks for all the imput anyway
Oh....how I much prefer 3830 over 3801

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Oh....how I much prefer 3830 over 3801

Send i30Dave an email (link) - he can reset your 3830 email and password if you ask nicely :)

Sorry.didnt think anyone would notice.

:rolleyes: as if :lol:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I agree with dazzler on this one, i also will be doing the intermediate service myself and the major by the garage to get the warranty and book stamped,
castrol edge is perfect,
a c3 low SAPS fully synthetic  is required, but if you do change the filter i would use a genuine one, that way the garage is no wiser!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
i also will be doing the intermediate service myself and the major by the garage to get the warranty and book stamped,

By doing the inter service yourself does this not invalidate the warranty as you will not have the necessary stamp in the book?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i also will be doing the intermediate service myself and the major by the garage to get the warranty and book stamped,

By doing the inter service yourself does this not invalidate the warranty as you will not have the necessary stamp in the book?

Hi Lester, As it is a non compulsory "extra" service I don't think it would be an issue. Would be worth keeping the receipts though particularly for the oil filter so you could show (particularly a private buyer) how good you have been with looking after your ride...

ajp3801
OK I took the plunge and decided to let the dealer do the job.
Mind you I will probably soften my stand in the future.
 Looking at the Hyundai dealership receipt I noticed that the oil used for my 1.6 diesel was Castrol Magnatec SP 5W 40.
Just wondering what the ' panel of experts ' think of this oil.
Also as a matter of interest how would Castrol Magnatec SP 5W 40. compare to Castrol Edge 5w 30 / or 5w 40
Which one would or should be of higher quality ie magnatec or edge.
Advice most welcome

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Is castrol magnatec 10w 40 sp   a low SAPS oil ?
if you have a diesel particulate filter, a low SAPS oil is required
as they are expensive to replace.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Magnatec is generally cheaper than Edge (normal Shelf price) and I think only semi-synthetic..

Member MRH130 (Michael) is an ex-Hyundai Service Manager who is very anti Magnatec..

I am surprised the dealer used it as I wouldn't have thought it met the guidelines for the diesel (there is a list of approved oils on here somewhere)

Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 is towards the bottom of the quality list for suitable oils but definitely meets the required standard. :cool:

Offline ajp3830

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast

• Sunshine Coast Qld
hi
Thanks for all the input guys and or girls.
By the way ..........thanks David for your help, im now back to 3830 which is so much better than 3801
ajp3801 RIP
Also thanks Dazz for your comments regarding  magnatec v edge etc . Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isnt it b....dy(french) unreal! We all want the best for our i30s, sometimes pay heaps , get ripped off etc by dealers  , and end up with a c minus result
It would be nice to think that after paying $180 plus gst that you receive would A plus service with the better so called quality oil. All because of this 5y warrenty fear and our fear about doing the wrong thing.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No Worries ajp it is worth searching "magnatec" to see the comments...(particularly by MRH130

Pip
Magnatec SP 5w40 has been replaced by Magnatec Professional 5w40.  As far as I can tell it's a name only change.

There are several Magnatec Professional grades and they range from mineral oil (group ii) through semi synthetic (group iii, same as Edge 5w30) to what they call fully synthetic (group iv, v) of which 5w40 looks to be (or at least group iii with some group iv maybe) and appears to be the best in this range of oil. They certainly don't really say what they use and like all oil companies just like to use the word "synthetic" a lot. Unfortunately the law allows such misleading marketing.

The only thing you can be sure about is that they cannot call mineral oil synthetic but anything else they can. Anything else means, anything that has some synthetic added and even then highly refined mineral oil, the group iii, can also qualify as synthetic even though it comes out of the ground. :mad:

I think this "Professional" range of Castrol oils is designed for dealers and only comes in 20 litre or 44 gallon drums. 20 litres would be ideal for DIY use. :D Unless you are in the oil business it's really hard to nail it down but I suspect this is a good oil and if truly a synthetic oil certainly would be a rung up from the Castrol Edge 5w30. It certainly meets ACEA B4. C3 is not required in Oz.

As an aside that I've mentioned before, any 0wxx oil will almost certainly be fully synthetic as it's really hard for anything else to meet the cold temperature flow required as part of that specification. So if you wanted to use fully synthetic start looking at 0w30-40 oils.

Any oil that meets ACEA B4 will be good enough IMO, particularly if changed every 7500km or so. It will take 100,000km before you find out if you made a mistake anyway. :rolleyes: :-[

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
strange that in oz the standard is lower than in uk,
here c3 is the minimum required ?
and i believe there is NO semi synthetic oil that meets the low SAPS requirement
recommended here in uk
obviously we all want to increase the lifespan of our engines and the oil is the life blood.
no one has answered my question about diesel particulate filters,
are they fitted to your models??

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I have one and MUST use C3 oil
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Pip
strange that in oz the standard is lower than in uk,
here c3 is the minimum required ?
and i believe there is NO semi synthetic oil that meets the low SAPS requirement
recommended here in uk
obviously we all want to increase the lifespan of our engines and the oil is the life blood.

No. At least not so far.

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
I don't plan on doing the 7500kms services. I just don't do the harsh driving that would require it. The car will be traded before the warranty expires and i can't see the trade price being higher because i have. My dealer said the 7500 would cost me about 300ish so that's money in my pocket.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Not got them yet looks like they are sending all the old stock to oz then PIP.
LOL  :lol:

Pip
I don't plan on doing the 7500kms services. I just don't do the harsh driving that would require it. The car will be traded before the warranty expires and i can't see the trade price being higher because i have. My dealer said the 7500 would cost me about 300ish so that's money in my pocket.

Fair enough. However, do you consistently drive for longer than 30 minutes an outing? The oil will not reach operating temperature much less than that and even then needs another 30+ minutes to evaporate water and fuel contaminents.

I reckon any predominantly city driven car will qualify as harsh conditions.

Also, $300 is rediculous.  Get it done at the local garage and it will be closer to half that.

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)

Fair enough. However, do you consistently drive for longer than 30 minutes an outing? The oil will not reach operating temperature much less than that and even then needs another 30+ minutes to evaporate water and fuel contaminents.

I reckon any predominantly city driven car will qualify as harsh conditions.

Also, $300 is rediculous.  Get it done at the local garage and it will be closer to half that.

Ok well i guess i do fit into the harsh conditions. :)
However my car will still be covered by the 5 year warranty should something happen,  and i will have saved $ on those services. Just saying that for anyone who doesn't plan on keeping their car for longer than the 5 years really is throwing good money away. Why traet an engine to the extra oil if it's not going to be for your benefit.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Brew,

Each to there own but I am more in line with your thinking.. I would never run a car more than a few 100 kms past its service intervals .. but believe if the servicing is done as per the book and with good oil and genuine parts the drivetrain should last a good 10 years or more of trouble free motoring ... :cool:

Pip
.. Why traet an engine to the extra oil if it's not going to be for your benefit.

As I said, fair enough, I understand, but this philosophy is opposed to mine.  :wink:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
i work on previous experience, i used to service my ford fiesta 1.8 diesel every 7.000km and i sold it with 390.000 km on the clock and never touched the engine other than the cam belt every 50.000 which i did so often i could do it with my eyes shut lol
however my neibour used to use cheap woolworths oil and only changed it every 3 to 4 years and he had a valve stick and knacker the engine.

you only get what you pay for
eat only junk and you wont stay healthy long

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal