i30 Owners Club

No sound from stereo

pidim · 10 · 9179

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

Wondering if any i30 gurus can provide some help on my other HY. it’s an RB Accent MY15. Suddenly out of the blue there is no sound at all from the stereo. Everything else seems to work normally. I can see Bluetooth connects, touch screen works, display looks normal. On phone calls, people can hear me, but of course along with AM/FM RADIO, CD etc, no audio or Bluetooth streaming can be heard. Volume up/down etc, but no change.

😞

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Doing a bit more research, the following link describes exactly what the problem is: :link: Hyundai Accent No Sound Stereo Repair (#1205) - Supertech Electronics

I wonder if anyone knows anything more with this as it seems to be an issue across a number of HY headunits.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My guess is dry joints and that the special repair process is reheating a bunch of solder pads across the unit, which you can do yourself, so long as you don''t overdo it and cook a component.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for that. Is that something I should get done at an auto electrical place or a car audio place?
Sorry about that but I’m not technicall enough to do the job myself.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you're not confident with a soldering iron, don't do it yourself. See what other members say. Someone may have had the same experience. Any place that repairs electrical appliances should be capable, including car audio places.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just an update.  Took it to a local electronic services guy in the next suburb.  They said these have an almost 100% failure rate.  After removing the headunit and testing, it looks like it needs a new main board.  They're getting a price for me to decide what to do.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just a thought: if you end up going ahead with the board changeover, keep the old board. I'd love to see at least images of it.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
1) Got a price to get a new board:  $470 repaired and installed.
2) Looked at buying an after-market unit with Android Auto (wired) - Sony AVX3000.  Total cost including fascia kit, Steering wheel control interface harness, antenna adapter = approx $1200
3) Hyundai dealer to see what they would (attempt to) charge - got a call back to replace the identical unit but brand new = $450 installed

I'm picking #3

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
A member called "Daveber??" posted recently re no sound issues.
Screws that hold board on actually provide the earth connection for the board. His were loose. Tightened and all good.

Found it.

"Got problems ", general section.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good one, Mick. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that and I think I even commented! :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal