i30 Owners Club

Can you remove touch-up paint?

Twempie · 17 · 24190

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Spotted a couple of small stone chips on the bonnet and purchased a touch up stick.  I foolishly applied the paint using the brush supplied with the touch-up stick and the 'repair' look awful.  Is there any way I can safely remove the touch up paint and start again using better application techniques mentioned elsewhere on the forum?  If so, can anyone advise as to what products I should use and where I can purchase them here in the UK?

Cheers
Twempie

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I did sometouch up and must say it looks really really naf.

I wait a reply also.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Same problem here - the paint went on too thickly.  Although it covers just a small bit of the bonnet it is really noticeable and obvious.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd buy a packet of wooden toothpicks and use them to pick the paint out.

Similarly, toothpicks can be used to reapply the paint - they only hold a minute amount of paint and let you apply it sparingly. That's what I've done. Takes a bit longer but it does work.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice re- the toothpicks.  Don't know if it would if it would remove the excess paint that is sitting on the 'good' surface between the two chips that are about half an inch apart. 
Cheers

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the advice re- the toothpicks.  Don't know if it would if it would remove the excess paint that is sitting on the 'good' surface between the two chips that are about half an inch apart. 
Cheers

Yeah that might be a problem. You might have to live with the repaint that's covering the untainted body. Worth a try though, as the excess paint you applied will be sitting on top of the clearcoat, so might "pick off" easily.

Then again, it might not.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The excess paint might be removed but it will be tricky.

If the paint has been there for any amount of time (more than seconds) then generally it will need to be abraded off.

Can you take a (macro) photo?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if your bloody good and paitent you could sand it off... i managed to blend in different layers of paint on my 2nd car... BUT i know a thing or 2 about polishing, sanding and making steel mirror finished (i was a tool maker for a while)

the maxima isnt looking so well, at some stage the maxima has had a very slight rub on the rear left hand quarter and for some reason they did the clear on the boot when it was repaired, no problem you say... well normally yes

the MAXIMA and Ti badge came off perfectly fine... just like the i30, hyundai and CRDi ones did on the i30 just because they are 6 years old the double sided tape was hard to remove... but the nissan badge in the center of the boot had been taped up and sprayed around instead of being removed and re-applied

so i was stuck, i thought i would have to put a new badge on, but i had a idea SANDPAPER 2000 grade lol so i cearfully sanded the paint lines away polished that black paint VERY carefully and BINGO fixed its probably 80% gone... if i get annoyed with it ill get a new badge for it

seriously, i will say this again if you attempt to use sand paper, ONLY sand the area you want gone, YOU WILL STUFF UP THE PAINT if you do it wrong...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How about a tiny bit of nail polish remover on a cotton but (acetone?) applied very sparingly.. might soften the touch up enough to pick it off... :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
it might also soften the original paint...

you should never put any petroleum based products on your paint... its bad for the paint!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
it might also soften the original paint...

you should never put any petroleum based products on your paint... its bad for the paint!

I was suggesting only on the touch up paint not on the car surface itself.. :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Professor Bumpkin has several degrees in dodgy chemicals, does he not? He'll give the best answer I reckon.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I have the perfect idea............... sand blast the whole car a have a full respray  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK

1.  The longer you leave the paint on the more it will cure and therefore there is no easy way to remove already applied touch-up.

2.  As correctly pointed out you should not use nail varnish remover (acetone) on the paintwork, whilst a small amount may allow the touch up to be removed, because touch-up has been applied in an area where the clearcoat and/or original paint has been damaged, capillary action of a solvent is much more vigourous than of aqueous solvents, therefore you could be introducing organic solvent under the good area which may cause future issues.

3.  I suspect that the best idea would be to sand the touch-up area with an extremely fine grade emery lubricated with detergent, touch-up on metallics in particular can often appear darker than the original paintwork, the sanding process should create a better blend of the two........

4.  It is perfectly acceptable to use some petroleum based products on your car, pet ether is the best at removing tar spots, you just have to be prepared to re-wax after doing it.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Something like T-Cut and a bit of mutton cloth will shift the touch up paint provided it is still quite fresh, just don't spend too long rubbing over the same spot or you will flatten the shine of the surrounding area.

I did a couple of stone chips using the touch up paint and a 000 modelling brush. Built the layers up slowly. When dry gave quick wipe of surrounding area with t-cut, cleaned off the T-cut residue and then applied the laquer.

Mark

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for the advice.  To be honest the area affected is tiny but because it is on the bonnet it is noticeable.  If the car wasn't so new I probably wouldn't be bothered.  Given my admitted lack of competence and skill I reckon I'll ask a paint shop to have a look and see what they can do.
Cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

How new?

Take it back and say to the chap that you noticed this and it must have been there when you bought it.

They can only say NO.

Worth a try!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal