i30 Owners Club

68,000+

Lakes · 29 · 6126

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well i,m just over 68,000k and i'm doing average of 1,150k to 55L so am very happy as i'm not driving for economy just driving normal. i'm now useing BP diesel as i get it around $1.23.9 the Vortex diesel is around $1.31.9

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't know why John but you always seemed to get about 100kms or more out of a tank than I could (even when I filled to the brim..) guess it has to be our hilly terrain :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer i can only just manage 1000km from a tank of 56L LOL sometimes it scrapes in just under...

i think sitting in traffic kills my cars economy!!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't know why John but you always seemed to get about 100kms or more out of a tank than I could (even when I filled to the brim..) guess it has to be our hilly terrain :'(
Dazz i cross the great divide every two weeks after work and from Sydney to Katoomba it's peak hour and hills all the way, Mount Victoria is as big as anything i saw in Tassie, hills don't seem to effect economy that much. i drive 4 1/2 hours non stop sometimes if traffic bad takes 5 hours just under 400k half of it till after Orange is hills then open country with rolling hills but rough cold mix road surface. must be your cold weather Dazz but some people drive different than others & shift at different rev drive smoother. they had in paper a ex rally driver now does economy runs and drove the new i20 1,2??k & it has a 45L tank petrol. if i want it's not hard to do 1.300k on the one tank but you have to stay below 2,000 rev

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I posted a link to this story a while back. Can't find it right now but here's the link again.

Brisbane Sorry, a bit of old timers disease here. SYDNEY to Bundaberg on one tank of fuel.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/78227/hyundai-i20-driven-by-rally-legend-ed-ordynski-achieves-4-23l100km/
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The i30 has taught me to drive very gently for good economy.. I am averaging 6.4 in the Hybrid after more than 2000 kimotres in about 2 weeks which is only .4 above the ADR rating.

I was always about .7 or .8 above with the i30. I drove normally most of the time in the i30 but driving very carefully never managed to get me much under 5.4 for any length of time (must be the colder temperatures :rolleyes:)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don.t know Dazz? but Bob & Thumper always got better economy than i did.
i don't think the Cruise Control realy helps economy but if used the right way in right conditions like long straight flat roads it helps. i drove Sydney to Melbourne along the coast road, was around 1,040K from where i filled up in Sydney to were i filled up in Melbourne near a place called Emerald ( my friend lives there ) i could only get 44L into the tank that was twisty hilly rough princess hwy, i returned up the Hume Hwy was around 800 850k? then drove to work for a week & half b4 filling up.
i don't drive slow or really try just need to do country miles 1,100 easy, as i said if i try and drive like an old woman 1,300 not hard. when these manufacturers get pro's to drive to show what they can do they never quote average speed for trip. i average about 78kph on my GPS i think the trip i do every few weeks is 330k then we do runing around over the weekend. maybe that economy gauge the Toy has would have helped? i could not have anything smaller or less Torque as i tow a 500kg trailer around but only in Syd not on trips, still on motorway it pulls the trailer with ease up hills 100kph no prob in 5th
so happy, will be hard finding a replacement that can match, as i like the range i can do between refills.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good stuff Lakes.
There's no doubt you can get good economy if you really concentrate.
The good thing is, with the i30, even if you don't try, it's still economical.
Re the i20 test, it was done up the Pacific Highway, during school holidays and with lots of road works going on, so it's certainly an amazing result.
I'm told Ed didn't expect to get to Brisbane but decided he'd give it his best shot.

Please Note. My earlier post above said Brisbane to Bundaberg. I've fixed that. I SHOULD have said SYDNEY to Bundaberg. :-[ :-[

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
The i30 has taught me to drive very gently for good economy.. I am averaging 6.4 in the Hybrid after more than 2000 kimotres in about 2 weeks which is only .4 above the ADR rating.

I was always about .7 or .8 above with the i30. I drove normally most of the time in the i30 but driving very carefully never managed to get me much under 5.4 for any length of time (must be the colder temperatures :rolleyes:)

My i30 (with CC) has just ticked over 6700km and I get 5.4l/100. Hasn't changed from that for a long time now. Thought I may have seen a reduction when I took the trip to Brisbane a little while ago but, no, 5.4 all the way. Of course I am very happy with this  :razz: but would love to see an improvement in the fuel economy especially on a longer trip. Once I get over 10 to 15k as the engine beds in even better from what I hear you guys saying there should be an improvement. The weather here is not what many would call cold.. :wink: and I don't drive hard but I don't dally about either.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't drive hard but I don't dally about either.

In short, you enjoy driving. :cool:
I swear my blood pressure drops when I get out on the open road. :D

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
I don't drive hard but I don't dally about either.

In short, you enjoy driving. :cool:
I swear my blood pressure drops when I get out on the open road. :D

Absolutely!!  :D :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just went to Hobart and back in the Hybrid (left Friday night and got home an hour or two ago) Did approx 740 kms including quite a bit of city driving and went higher at times but ended up with a 6.4 average (got to be happy with that for a big car) :D

Did miss the feeling of the CRDi going up hills though  :'( The Hybrid climbs hills with ease when the cruise is set but if you are baulked by a slower car she does have to wind back up again.... and of course being a lot quieter and more refined you don't feel like you are driving a powerful car... :rolleyes:

Overall very happy though .. Still think the i30 CRDi is best in her class.. :mrgreen:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i probably wouldnt call a camry a "big"car... but i would be effing happy with your fuel consumption!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i probably wouldnt call a camry a "big"car... but i would be effing happy with your fuel consumption!

I think you would be surprised Ian .. Very close inside to the Commondore and Chook tin.. :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i dunno... i still think its a mid sized car... same with the maxima, when you have owned 4x4's then you have owned a "large" car...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fair Call.. I'll describe it as a big sedan from now on  :mrgreen: :lol:

(Biggest car I've ever had.. previous biggest was a 1993 Nissan Blubird SSS)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i think "awesome sedan" would suit it better!

just like "mad hatch" suits the i30 :p

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i think "awesome sedan" would suit it better!

Like the sound of that Ian (Sorry John for hijacking your thread) Not like me... :rolleyes:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
lakes I've only just hit 18,000kms in 18 months,i need to drive more often i think.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey thats great economy Dazz! with Cruise Control, you don't notice how hard its trying as you don't need to use throtle yourself. my V8 was the best on CC but this little 1.6 oiler with a hair dryer :lol: is amazing as it has never complained once pulling legal speed up hills in fith and off the GPS it only looses 1 or 2 kph off the set speed going up something like Mount Tomah on the bells line, Dazz if you want to Drive up & check out Mount Tomah ( spelling wrong ) i'm sure that would impress you.

2i30s if i did not have to drive up the bush every two weeks i would not do the k's eather & probably my economy would look different.

Hey Thanks Trev, & that is amazing economy from the i20 in those conditions!

I still have every fuel docket for every fuel purchase since the i30 was new i got 850k from the full tank the dealer gave me, as was a long wauy short of full as at the time diesel was getting close to $2 per L. one day i'll add it all up & post total fuel for k's & cost.
Dazz thats not a big car mate, i drove a 1967 Caddy de ville i think i could have fitted your cam under the HOOD it was huge, with a 500 cubic inch motor.

always got attention.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My little Hybrid is excellent on cruise up hills but going down hills it gains a lot of speed (which is a bit of a pain) I have to remember to switch the selector to B (for braking)

It must be something to do with the CVT transmission because if not in that postion there is virtually no engine braking... She will roll for ever on level ground with no throttle almost as if she is in neutral (guess that is one way they have improved the economy) :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz hi torque motors give excerlent engine braking, low torque motors do not have engine braking. the i30 CRDi does not have really stong engine braking but its ok. my V8 had good engine braking for an auto, my Harley had Mack Truck like engine braking.
some Cruise controls use the brake to keep the set speed going down hills.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Mine has just hit 16 months and 58,000 kms and I am doing between 1000 & 1100 kms per tank now, but I do top it up to the brim when refuelling.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine has just hit 16 months and 58,000 kms and I am doing between 1000 & 1100 kms per tank now, but I do top it up to the brim when refuelling.

Gee.. you're sure covering some ground Dave.. sounds like you economy has settled back down.. :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes it has, ever since I started using BP fuel, running nice, good economy again.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
My i30 (with CC) has just ticked over 6700km and I get 5.4l/100. Hasn't changed from that for a long time now. Thought I may have seen a reduction when I took the trip to Brisbane a little while ago but, no, 5.4 all the way. Of course I am very happy with this  :razz: but would love to see an improvement in the fuel economy especially on a longer trip. Once I get over 10 to 15k as the engine beds in even better from what I hear you guys saying there should be an improvement. The weather here is not what many would call cold.. :wink: and I don't drive hard but I don't dally about either.

Have you reset it when you fill up? Otherwise you are seeing an average of your whole 6700kms.

I generally get 1000-1100kms off 61ish L and about 5.6L/100kms calculated. The car usually says I do 5.4 or 5.5.

I drive from Caboolture to West End every day which is about 55kms each way and about 1 hr 15mins each way.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal