i30 Owners Club

I was taken aback, not good getting shocks at my age........

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I took the little lady out yesterday, I know, I am spoiling her again.

We went to a shopping park (Boundary mill, for them as lives in the UK) where they have a splendid fish restaurant, but that another story I guess.

Well we emerged from the aforementioned food outlet and I pressed the key fob to unlock the car and nothing happened, I pressed to lock, pressed to open and no hazard lights flashed...   Oh no, I thought, never mind I'll get in with the door key.  So, I inserted the door key and it unlocked the car so I opened the door...  blighmy it started screaming from an alarm which I was hitherto unaware of.  It was a bit of a surprise, but as I adjusted my thinking, it was a pleasant surprise.  I mean, this car has everything, stuff which other car makers charge extra for.  I was very pleased.

Anyhow, once I had opened the car and triggered the alarm the fob began working again, so I silenced it.

Now I am positive this whole topic will have been written up ad nauseoum  (sp?) but I was so happy with this I just wanted to share my glee.

However, what if the fob had not started to work, would I have to drive all the way home with the alarm blaring out????

Asa

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Presumably that same alarm would have kept the immobiliser... err.. immobilising?

Strange how this remote button fault keeps cropping up :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh no... Shambles, I was seeking guidance from the well informed members, like yourself, all I got was cold comfort.

Keeps cropping up AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Immobiliser... keep immobilising AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Buggeration

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

However, what if the fob had not started to work, would I have to drive all the way home with the alarm blaring out????

Well what worse - the wife jabbering on or the alarm  :lol: :lol:

Getting back to your question - No is the simple answer.

I understand that when you put the key in the ignition it deactivates the alarm when you start the car.

From memory I think this is detailed in the Handbook.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was under the impression that the key when inserted and turned in the ignition will de-activate the immobiliser and that after the alarm had gone through it's cycle would stop, ie you could end up driving with it honking away like a demented goose, but eventually you will run over it :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Great story, well i can't help,BUT, are you sure all the doors were close and the rear hatch closed? also the hood closed? as i once found if the hood was slightly adjar not closed properly. the key fob does not get the lights to flash, then i closed the hood properly and all lights flashed everything was sweet again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi A ...

That will teach you to spoil SHMBO.. won't it..  :D
I hope you blamed her for being there and chastised her all the way home... :lol:

I am a glass half full type of guy.. I'm guessing it won't happen again (and may be caused by what lakes said....)

If you have a 2nd remote key fob I would swap to that for a while and see if it happens again...Good luck  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal