i30 Owners Club

Check headlight (Low) warning - no headlights

inmn · 7 · 466

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
I purchased a Hyundai i30 PD Elite diesel hatch (build date late 2017) a month ago with 198K km on it. It's a work car. I am a field technician. I have been very happy with it, already driven 5K km, no problem.
Yesterday on the way home in the dark the headlights stopped working. I got the error message on the dash Check headlight (low) (see image).
I can see a couple of posts about it:
:link: Loss Of Both Low Beam Head Lights
&
:link: Both low headlights blown at same time - confirmation bulbs look ok

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 09:26:37 by Shambles »

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If you have read those two links, you will note that Diesels (which you have) have reportedly been prone to headlamp blowing.
Have you tried fitting new bulbs or swapped bulbs or proceeded with any of the diagnostics mentioned in those posts, using a multimeter (or even a test lamp) to trace 12V supply to the lamps?
Also check earth points.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
If you have read those two links, you will note that Diesels (which you have) have reportedly been prone to headlamp blowing.
Have you tried fitting new bulbs or swapped bulbs or proceeded with any of the diagnostics mentioned in those posts, using a multimeter (or even a test lamp) to trace 12V supply to the lamps?
Also check earth points.

Thanks for the response. I'll try testing the headlight globes with a multi-meter and replace them if they blown. Just very strange to have them both blow at once.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Remember. Never touch new halogen bulbs with bare fingers.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Also check earth points.

I changed the head-light bulbs, all good now.

BUT... Why would they simultaneously fail like that?
Will this be a regular occurrence?

I am regularly traveling on country highways after sunset, drives up to 2 hours to get home. I might have to carry a spare pair.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It may be a good idea to carry spare bulbs. In some countries it is compulsary to carry a spare bulb kit.

Do you know how old the (blown) headlight bulbs were. Were they the originals maybe.
The issue with (both) headlight bulbs blowing on i30 diesels has been reported a few times. I don't know if it is due to a voltage spike that zaps them. You could have a search the forum for other posts that may offer more info.   
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal