i30 Owners Club

Intermittent Smart Cruise Control failure on 2021 I30

Offline Mindoro

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
We have a 2021 I30 and since near new, we have experienced cruise control faulting out intermittently with two indicators lighting on the dash ('Check forward safety systems' and 'Smart Cruise Ctrl (SCC) conditions not met').  This failure occurs on a nearly daily basis during extended travels. It faults out after a lengthy period of highway travel (more than a couple hours). It will not reset by turning the ignition off and on. It only resets after many hours with either engine running or engine off. But even an overnight stop has on a number of occasions not reset the condition. The fault occurs irrespective of whether the front H badge (behind which the radar sits), or windscreen camera are clean or dirty.

We have presented the vehicle to several dealers and have been repeatedly advised to bring it back with  the vehicle the fault active. Due to the intermittent nature (and inability of service centres to immediately examine the vehicle), this has not been possible. Hyundai Australia Customer Care could provide no advice other than to have it inspected by an authorised service centre who would need to contact the Hyundai technical division for support if they were unable to diagnose the cause.

The radar was eventually diagnosed as being out of alignment due to 'damage' as the service centre observed a 'small indent' on the radars front face. But on inspection, I was unable to see any evidence of this and there is no damage to the front bumper behind which the radar sits. I took a photo of the radar (attached). Interestingly, there is some sort of circular 'rough surface' pattern on the radar which is only evident due to the flash I used. I couldn't see this without the flash. The 'indent' is to the lower left and side of the radar and is outside of the circular rough area. Could this be part of the normal condition of these radars or has there been damage at some point either before or after sale?

The radar alignment was corrected (~AUD600) and we were advised to drive the vehicle to see if this fixed the issue. We have not been able to do this yet as it requires a significant period of travel. The service centre refused to contact the Hyundai technical division despite admitting that the radar realignment may not fix the issue. Warranty was also refused due to the 'damage' and we were advised that if the system was still faulting, it would be a ~AUD6,000 repair bill.

After continuing to pursue the issue through consumer protection, we were told that Hyundai Australia (Customer Care) provided the following guidance:

'......when this vehicle has been used for extended period of time e.g. 4 – 5  (in some cases less) and has not registered another vehicle in front of its self when using radar cruise control, the vehicle is designed to then assume that the cruise control has an error. This may then cause a warning to appear on the dash advising that that the cruise control has failed.  The cruise control can then be reset by stopping the vehicle and cycling the ignition. This is a characteristic of the vehicle.'

I have not been able to find anything about this in the vehicles user handbook or in any other information online. But we do know that 'cycling the ignition' does not reset the fault.

Given the popularity of the I30, I presume this must be an issue experienced by many?

• I30 N Line Premium 2021

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal