i30 Owners Club

How to change headunit in i30 PD 3.8" to 8" OEM

GxGO · 5 · 1055

Offline GxGO

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Hello everyone!
I want to replace the current radio with a 3.8" display with an 8" one without NAVI.
I have the schematics of the two radio models and from what I read in this forum I understood that I have to reverse some pins. (USB, acc...etc.)

As the plugs of the two radios are different, I think I will need the following additional products:
1. 18p-24p Female connector (Aliexpress link)
2. 35p-38p male connector (Aliexpress link)
3. USB Interface Cable (Aliexpress link)
4. Antenna with FAKRA Interface (Aliexpress link)
5. Cables + pins

After studying the schemes above, I have the following concerns for which I hope to find answers from you:
1. ILL +/- (A8 & A17 on 3.8" jack) is Illumination +/- (B6 & B19 on 8")?
2. The 18p-24p plug has a single pin each for Battery "+" (B12) and Battery "–" (B24), and the 35p-38p plug has Battery "+" (B10 & B11) and Battery "–" (B12 & B13). How to proceed in this situation?
3. What is the DETECT pin (A9 on 3.8" plug) and why does it not have a counterpart on the 8" plug?
4. What is MM CAN (B7 & B20 on 8" plug) and can the conversion be done without these cables?

At the end, I apologize for my English and I hope I made myself understood as much as possible!

• 2024 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.5 DPI, Manual, Arctic White

Offline gledatelj4

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia
Hi there, I would like to ask here because I don't want to open a new topic.   I also want to change the headunit. I was wondering if you had any experience with this one, and does anyone else recommend any other?

link
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Goran_i30

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia
Hy, it can bee done, i have done it yesterday. Detent goes blank,  MM can hi and low goes to instrument cluster main connector ( in teh middle there is green and red wire).
One fault i have got is battery warning error on radio, it doesn t comunicate with battery, IBS electronic. Cant figure that out  :-[
  • i30 pd

Offline GxGO

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I just finished connecting the wires between the two plugs and B11 (Battery +), B13 (Battery Ground) and B14 (Mic Ground) remained unconnected.
What did you do with these three threads?

Also, from what I've read (hi30.net) M-CAN Hi & Low transmits data to the car's instrument panel display related to Turn By Turn Navigation Information and AV Multimedia information.
As my device is without navigation, I think I can do without this data and I will leave these wires unconnected as well so I don't have to disassemble the dashboard.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 11:27:08 by GxGO »
  • 2024 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.5 DPI, Manual, Arctic White

Offline Goran_i30

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia
hy,
+ goes together with other + , ground also, and mic ground just ground enywhere.
you are correct for the m can, but you need the m can to tell the radio in which position is the key. if you dont have it connected, removing the key wont shut off the radio, and sleep mode is inoperable.

when you connect all that , i beleve that you will have the same problem with battery managment error.
  • i30 pd

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal