i30 Owners Club

Oil check light

Offline Mohamed_Aiyad

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      egypt
hello, this is my first question here ,I really need help.
my i30 2009 DHOC 1.6V 220k Km engine has light of oil check goes one for one minute or sometimes it need a RPM to be higher for the light to go off it happens when the car is cold only,once the car engine heat it is never goes on.
i changed the oil and filter (15 w 50) ,and clean the oil strainer from below and still problem exist.

• i30

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If you stop the car, and wait for a few minutes, and then start again, does the oil warning light turn off in a few seconds? If the oil light turns off within a few seconds then it sounds like it is OK when the oil is hot. When the oil is cold it is more viscous so maybe it takes longer for the oil pump to suck up the oil and fill the feed pipes and build up enough pressure to activate the pressure switch. According to my handbook 15W/40 or 10W/30 oil is OK.

I looked on Shell oil finder online and they recommend 5W/20, but in my handbook it says don't use this oil in Middle East, if you think Egypt is Middle East region.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Mohamed_Aiyad

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      egypt
very thanks to your comment,I visited a service center nearby and replace my oil pump and the problem was solved,but are you sure about the oil viscosity 15w40 ??!
because the guys there advise  me to keep using 20w50  as “my engine 220,000 km”.
  • i30

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
20W/50 is shown as an acceptable type, I was just floating the idea it could be the viscosity that might be a contributory factor, but if it's the oil pump that was wearing out, so much the better. Many years ago I had a Ford Mondeo and one cold frosty morning in England it would not start, The engine turned over fine but wouldn't fire up. The breakdown assistance guy told me the oil was too thick, and in the cold weather it couldn't flow into the valve lifters to open the valves. He managed to start it eventually and I took it straight to a Ford dealer to get the correct oil put in. After that, I never had any problems.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal