i30 Owners Club

BROKEN SMART KEY i30 2016

Offline mdhoz1950

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Vic
Metal part of the smart key has come apart from the body of the key and remains in the ignition. Can't figure out how to remove it.  This situation prevents remote locking of the vehicle, and causes some dashboard items to remain illuminated. What to do ... what to do ???
  • Hyundai i30 2016 model hatch active 1.8 auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Metal part of the smart key has come apart from the body of the key and remains in the ignition. Can't figure out how to remove it.  This situation prevents remote locking of the vehicle, and causes some dashboard items to remain illuminated. What to do ... what to do ???
Is it possible to use some needle nose pliers to grip the end :undecided:

If it's completely embedded a strong magnet might work :Dunno:

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
If it is completely embedded, and the magnet doesn't work, you could try  pushing the blade to one side with a tooth pick point and sliding a piece of strong sticky tape into the gap , with the sticky side towards the blade, then put the toothpick on the opposite side and repeat. Then push the tape onto the blade using the toothpick to push the blade inside the housing. You should be able to overcome the resistance of the tumblers with enough adhesion. I just tested some kapton tape, it is not very sticky, but if you can get enough adhesion it should not  break off, you don't want to use tape you can easily tear by hand.
Other methods using superglue or drilling and tapping the key,  may leave debris in the barrel, so be very careful. Good luck

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
There should be enough of the key blade poking out to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Obviously, you need to push it in whilst trying to turn it, and key have to jiggle the steering wheel as well. Is this one of the keys that flips out? I've had the key break where the blade is held in with a tiny roll-pin. The blade holder fractures around the roll-pin so the blade drops out. I bought a replacement fob case and transferred the old blade, PCB, and transponder chip from the old case. I didn't have any trouble pulling the blade out of the lock barrel.
  • i30 CRD

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
If there's nothing to grip, then you may have to call a locksmith. If you're feeling game, you could heat the end of a hot glue stick and jam it in and let it set and try to remove that way. I suggest watching a video on it. At your own risk obviously but any glue that stays behind should be able to be removed easy enough as it should remain on the outer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal