i30 Owners Club

ESP OFF warning on intermittently

Yu · 11 · 823

Offline Yu

• 1st Gear
Hey there, new to this forum :shakehands1:

I actually knew very little about my i30 CW 2009 until a couple of weeks ago, when I took it to a garage for repair for the first time in 15 years (excluding normal servicing and replacing usual things after certain mileage)
So, couple of weeks ai ago went to a garage to get a knock on the steering wheel while turning. Now I know everything about the infamous bush, but back then it was just a silly pieace of rubber that needed replacement. So I had it replaced. Upon collecton the car, the mechanic told me that now I had a warning light on...the ESP OFF. He said he had no idea how it happened and it was coincidental...ok :seriously:.
Said that the diagnostic indicated steering angle sensor intermittent failure and recommended its  replacement. They said they tried resetting, recalibrating, clearing errors and nothing worked. He added that probably it was already dodgy and ready to break down...but I had never seen that light on in 15 years. Anyway...a few days later they called with an estimate for the work. The sensor could not be replaced on its own, but the whole shaft/unit including motor/steering sensor etc. had to be replaced. They checked with hyindai and the new part was out of stock anyway (confirmed by myself as well) but it would cost an extortionate amout of money for a 15 yo car even if available. So they offered to replaced it with a second hand part. They did the repair and all was fine, but couple of days later the light came back on.
I did the lock to lock thing :Drive:, and it went away, but again couple of days later it was back on. I disconnected the battery and with the same trick it stayed away for about a week... but it's obviously still not quite right even if it's not always on as after the first repair.
Now...what are your thoughts? Is it possible that the same thing broke down twice during a repair?
Obviously now I have ended up with an issue bigger than the one I started from, because if she throws the light while carrying out the mot it will result in a failure and I would find myself with little options left if the new part is out of stock or irrealistically expensive. Which is very frustrating given that it was the first problem my car ever had.
Would you share your ideas?
Thank you very very much!

• i30 CW 2009

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
may be related to TSB some years ago where the steering sensor got checked for some issues. Would be bad luck to get another with same issue. Check tyre pressures are same both sides and that the rings for the ABS are not dirty or broken.

Offline Yu

• 1st Gear
Thanks Lorian.
So you mean that there might have been a pre-existing issue with the sensor that was exacerbated by the work done on the column to replace the bush?
Will check tyres and rings :goodjob2:
  • i30 CW 2009

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, There a many different ways to  replace the steering bushing.  When I did mine I disconnected the battery and lowered the column, and had all wiring disconnected. Some people remove the column from the car to clean out the rubber chunks in the bushing space. The esp light can come on for various reasons, one of which is the steering wheel angle sensor is either uncalibrated or giving a reading which is not consistent with other inputs. The initial reason for the esp light may have been the SAS uncalibrated, have you had the car scanned for the current reason?  Other things that may turn on the light can be the wheel speed sensors giving off readings because one tyre is smaller, i.e underinflated. Another reason could be the steering wheel is not centered, if you have to constantly turn the wheel a little to drive straight. I mention that scenario because if the column was removed and parts were turned while the replacement  done, or someone reconnected the battery  before all plugs were reconnected It "Might"  cause the issue.  I pretty much followed guides from this forum when replacing mine, there were a few  people who had the sas fault, and they went to the dealer to recalibrate.

Offline Yu

• 1st Gear
Hi Aye, thanks. That's very helpful.

So, I checked the tyres and they both have same pressure. The steering wheel is centered and I do not need to correct when driving on a straight line.
I was clearly told the column was removed for the bush replacement, at least the bit where the bush is located, which is the unit that includes the SAS and the motor if I got it right. I specifically asked if they had done the recalibration to try and get rid of the light and they said they tried but it was consistently "reading zero". The light was permanently on, the lock to lock manouvre would not work. That's when they offered to replace the unit. Now at least it is off most of the time and when it comes up the lock to lock would resolve the issue, even if it is temporary for what I've seen so far.

Out of curiosity...I was told that the ABS does work even when the ESP is off. I thought they were connected, but in fact the ABS light does not show even on those random occasions when the ESP OFF light is coming up. Is it true then?
  • i30 CW 2009

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There was a brake light switch problem with this ,model which caused a seemingly unrelated light to illuminate. I can find stories about it but not which light. My memory says EPS but I’m not sure.
And it mat have only been Korean vehicles anyway.
Maybe @The Gonz will remember.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My EPS and ESP are lit up right now. I need to stop procrastinating and change the rubber steering 'interlock star' and then maybe finally resolve these. Yes, a dicky brake switch was to blame for this happening in the early years and was the subject of a recall in some countries.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

There was a brake light switch problem with this ,model which caused a seemingly unrelated light to illuminate. I can find stories about it but not which light. My memory says EPS but I’m not sure.
Stopped Cruise Control working for sure

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Stopped Cruise Control working for sure
And if I remember correctly, also stopped the brake lights illuminating..

Offline Yu

• 1st Gear
My EPS and ESP are lit up right now. I need to stop procrastinating and change the rubber steering 'interlock star' and then maybe finally resolve these. Yes, a dicky brake switch was to blame for this happening in the early years and was the subject of a recall in some countries.

Interesting. So, would the rubber bush be causing your lights to come on? It sounds like it's the opposite of what happened to me. I had never seen this esp off light in 15 years, but it was on the dashboard after they replaced the bush and according to the guy at the garage it was coming from a faulty SAS. After replacing the unit with the SAS in it at least it's not onthe dashboard for most of the time but it does seem to come on after a few driving cycles and would go away with the lock to lock manouvre. How weird.
Maybe next step would be a trip to the dealer to see if they can find where it's coming from this time, as Aye suggested.
  • i30 CW 2009

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Interesting. So, would the rubber bush be causing your lights to come on? It sounds like it's the opposite of what happened to me. I had never seen this esp off light in 15 years, but it was on the dashboard after they replaced the bush and according to the guy at the garage it was coming from a faulty SAS. After replacing the unit with the SAS in it at least it's not onthe dashboard for most of the time but it does seem to come on after a few driving cycles and would go away with the lock to lock manouvre. How weird.
Maybe next step would be a trip to the dealer to see if they can find where it's coming from this time, as Aye suggested.

Not suggesting the rubber bush has anything to do with it. The brake switch problem is an alternative possibility.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal