i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 Steering Wheel controls failing.

Offline full frost

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
2014 Hyundai i30

Audio steering wheel controls come to a slow intermittent death.

Now on the right side, the Cruise Control buttons and coming to a slow death with intermittent problems consisting of buttons not working/ buttons performing a different function that it is meant to do.

Have replaced the steering wheel button assembly ( buttons and pcb board) and still no fix.

Help.

• 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline full frost

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Also have Power to the controls and some V across the pins. LED lights in the controls work.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I would look at the clock spring. All the signals need to get from the buttons to the radio/ cruise control modules via the turnable steering wheel. The clock spring has  a loose winding of all those cables with enough slack to turn the wheel from lock to lock. Failing buttons and wrong button mapping could mean the ribbon inside the clock spring may have worn down and exposed the metal conductors. Do the buttons sometimes work more or less when the wheel is turned one way? 

Offline full frost

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi there. Have thought of this and done the turn test to see if the intermittent problems happen. There was no change from lock to lock.

One way I got all the audio side controls to work was jumping 12v to the (AUD -) on the pcb board for a second. All the audio controls worked for a 20 minute drive then stopped completely again.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline full frost

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Can confirm.

New Clock Spring is the fix.
2 pins weren’t working out of the 8.

Didn’t have Airbag light on prior. Only steering wheel controls were failing.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal