GD Slowly falling apart on me :-(

Pieman · 10 · 303

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Hands On. Always fix my own cars.
Hi All,  Been a while. 
I'm 4.5yrs into my i30 1.6crdi GD ownership. Always well maintained.  Covered approx 40k miles, now on 125k.

I still like the car but I have 4 problems, I  don't know why, but it feels like an old car, my previous i20 hit 197,000 miles almost issue free.

1:  EGR valve,  lumpy tickover when cold. I've taken it apart and cleared out the packed in soot (pic). Much better now but still present. Runs amazingly well when Archoil AR6900-D added.
2:  Noisy alternator, I think it's the decoupler but easier to replace the whole unit as it's off.
3:  Sometimes gearchanges are almost impossible, but sometimes fine in the same conditions.  Strange.  Linkage issues maybe.

4:  The most annoying.   Have a squeaking/clunking when going over bumps offside rear wheel. Changed the shocks, no change.  It must be one of the many bushes and linkages that lurk at the back.  I've jacked it up and crowbarred the wheel to try and replicate it, but can't.  Don't think it's rollbar related as cornering is silent, but cats eyes and rumble strips in car parks are very loud.  Possibly the trailing arm bush(pic)?

I don't mind throwing a few quid at it but i'm not sure if i'm  just wasting my time and should start looking at replacing it already.  In my mind, it should be good for another 50k/5yrs minimum. Just started a new job and my car needs to be 100% reliable.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 16:39:38 by Pieman »

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

On the Plus side.. I fitted a new battery, and the Stop/start has started working for the first time since i bought the car.  :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Would a diagnostic hunt with a can of WD40 help?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
That's not the egr valve, that's the solenoid, you need to clean the valve and the cooler otherwise it's pointless, 👍
  • I30 gd

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Cheers for the idea. Where would i spray it?  Thanks

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

That's not the egr valve, that's the solenoid, you need to clean the valve and the cooler otherwise it's pointless, 👍

That's a good point.  I blew though the main body with the airline and it all seemed to be clear, but i guess you're right.  It definitely ran better for a while after cleaning it out, the spring loaded plate in there was definitely blocked with soot and was free moving when i put it back together.   What's the next step on? Thanks. 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Cheers for the idea. Where would i spray it?  Thanks
A slow process of one thing at a time and driving to replicate it as a series of best guesses, anywhere a moving part meets something else.
It may even be something inside the cabin at the back, like a seat back hinge, so be imaginative.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Oh i see.   I thought you were talking about the idling issue.

It's definitely one of the o/s rear bushes/ balljoints. There's just so many on this car.  I'm happy to spend the money on the right part, but don't want to start replacing everything just to see.  I've take the shelf out, spare wheel, folded seats down, nothing cures it. Outside, underneath for sure.   

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

I think it could be this.. But i'll also need to buy a puller tool to get it out. 

Online Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

Done some investigating today, jacked it up and took the wheel off. Couldn't feel anything loose so took the shock off to give me more play. Then discovered the top shock mount and its rubber part had seperated, leaving a broken metal ring in the car's wheel arch.  No way to get one today so just to confirm my suspicions, I superglued the bung back in the hole and went for a short drive... FIXED!!!
I will obviously order the correct part but i'm so relieved to have found the source of the noise and it will only be a 15min fix.

The bung in the pic should be permanently fixed inside the metal housing.

also ordered a new alternator today. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal